Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new website at FinallyOnTheMac.com has just gone live, teasing a major announcement from an undisclosed company. The site currently consists of a single YouTube video entitled "Countdown to a revolution", with the site containing an additional eight blank slots where other videos will presumably be posted in the coming days.

We believe that Sony is behind the teaser campaign, and the video's focus on music and audio recording hints that the company's Sound Forge audio recording and editing tools may be coming to the Mac.

sound_forge_banner.jpg

The video offers the following tag lines suggesting that it is indeed an existing software product that is being rebuilt from the ground up for the Mac:

- The wait is over
- Rethought. Reshaped. Recreated.
- Reinvented for the Mac

No timeframe for an official announcement or launch has been given, with the website and video description simply mentioning that the product will be "coming soon".

Article Link: Sony's Sound Forge Audio Editing Software Coming to Mac?

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
You know it's probably Quicken 2012 or MS Access, or SAS! All programs that keep us from completely cutting the umbilical cord with Windows.

Sonic

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
This makes me so happy. Ever since I switched when Logic did (v6), I've only missed one bit of software. I couldn't even find it in my heart to use Peak / Audacity, so I just pile on plugins in logic, and occasionally bounce down. But when I worked on PC, I did a lot more sound pre-processing back and forth with the DAW, and I still miss the samples that came out of that. Hope it has the same neat drag and drop shortcuts that make editing a breeze.

Also as I do SFX for games these days as well as music, it's going to be extra useful. :)

merzolin

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Austria
No timeframe for an official announcement or launch has been given, with the website and video description simply mentioning that the product will be "coming soon".

The image urls for the dropboxes are numbered from "assets/week1_sml.jpg" to "assets/week9_sml.jpg" in the source code, leading to the assumption that a new video will be posted every week (possibly with a release after the 9 weeks?)

dvkid

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2006
This is front page news?

Hate to say it, but they coulda just said "we don't know what it is" and made it more newsworthy. A prosumer audio post application comes to the Mac and it's somehow groundbreaking? I'm not seeing it.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
If I didn't use and adore Logic, I'd be using Pro Tools much more, probably even exclusively. I don't know why people would use this Sony DAW when PT (and even Cubase to an extent) exist and are much more commonplace throughout the audio industry.

What records do you know of made in Sony software? Not that that discredits the software in any way, it's probably very good. Just a musing I may have to Google to find out.

jephrey

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2005
I do light audio editing - as a lot of my friends, with live recordings and things like that. I enjoy sound studio on the mac - My needs are pretty limited to mixing stereo tracks, lining up for that mix/crossfade, things like that.

That being said, my PC friends are really behind SoundForge. I can see this being something at least worth trying out. Although sound studio is nice, nothing compares to the simple elegance of SoundEdit16 back on OS9 and earlier. I even used it with rosetta until I revised my workflow into soundstudio.

I'd say good news.

jccrtv

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2010
GREAT news

Sound Forge on the PC is used for a very different purpose than multitrack protools. Loved it for year on PC for all shaping and editing of a single stereo file. It's that good. Instant buy when it's out for Mac.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Great news-hope Sony can also do ACID for Mac later on. I really like Sony's Sound Forge and hope it'll be on the MAS.

Suggested to Sony Creative Software on twitter that they should have mobile apps too-I'd love to see a Sound Forge companion iOS app.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
ProTools, Logic, Reaper, all fill different purposes really, and this might have some features missing from the others. Even though ProTools is in many genres the industry standard doesn't mean it's perfect. A quick look on their forums demonstrate that;)

A welcome addition! Now if somebody could make a DAW on Mac with as sophisticated editing options as in Pyramix I'd be a happy bunny.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Great news-hope Sony can also do ACID for Mac later on. I really like Sony's Sound Forge and hope it'll be on the MAS.

Suggested to Sony Creative Software on twitter that they should have mobile apps too-I'd love to see a Sound Forge companion iOS app.

As much as I enjoyed Acid on Windows, I can't see it offering anything over Logic these days, unless it's changed that much. I just checked, and they're only on 7? Kinda slow-moving.

Vegas was an excellent multitracker, but the Audio version was more or less melded into Acid, with the Video component focusing almost entirely on just video.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I can't see myself needing to switch from TwistedWave, which I think is worth the $80. It could use a noise reduction function, though.

I've never heard of this software. I have about 200 vinyl records I have tried to digitize. I bought all the hardware for my Mac Pro; a NAD Preamp and began the process with various software app's. The only issue: splitting tracks and meta-tagging. Took an hour per album, so I stopped.

Would this application [suite?] be helpful?

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Sound Forge was so much better than Audacity or Peak for chopping audio

looking fwd to this :D

519tbarr

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
finally!!!

I hope this is true, I hope it's a full blown DAW. I have always hoped that Sony Creative Software would combine the two platforms of Acid Pro & Sound Forge and do something similar but better than Studio One 2. I have all of these programs on my PC. I also have Pro Tools 10 for work on the MAC. I have always loved the editing flow of Acid Pro, however Acid Pro 7 was created in 2008 and it's last update on the PC was in early 2010. It doesn't have 64x support on PC framework current. There has been a lot of speculation that the platform is dead, but Sony kept MUM on the subject. My hope is that whatever this new multitrack DAW is will kick butt and be the perfect solution to the multiple programs I currently am using. Pro Tools 10 is industry standard but honestly the work flow is not intuitive, Studio One 2 is great, it's kind of in-between Acid Pro & Pro Tools 10 in the way editing works and definitely has a current edge with great stability, and Acid Pro is frankly old and tired.
Bring it on Sony, but just make sure you bring whatever this new DAW is to both MAC and PC with 64x support and no limitation on plugin management.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.