Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
the browser will still use Apple's WebKit-based engine required by the App Store developer guidelines.

Just like the real Google Chrome browser does ? ;)

Too bad about the javascript engine though, V8 on the desktop really shines and on iOS, Nitro really is heads above the default engine the UIWebView utilizes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I agree, but you have a choice. There are a number of browsers in the App Store. Just like the Mac, just because iOS ships with Safari does not mean you have to use it.

What he is saying is that Apple should give us a choice of what our default browser can be. Currently the default is Safari and there is no way to change it. So when you click a link in, say, Twitter, it will open in Safari and not Chrome.

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
It was a big deal when Opera released their browser for iOS. I tried it out, and wasn't happy with it at all. I'm sure it'll be the same with Chrome. Safari just works perfectly for me, so why should I switch?

When Google stop doing things solely because they can, Google will be great once again.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Ok, while some people want more "choice", what does this really give us? Safari Mobile beats Android browsers in the Sunspider benchmarks even when pitted against quadcore Tegra 3 hardware versions an A5 iPad 2 or A5X iPad 3.

So even if Apple allowed a non-Safari webkit engine based browser on iOS, it would be slower anyway than just having a skin on the standard webkit control.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Can't wait for Drive, and especially for Chrome!

Have used Chrome on my Mac for years and I almost thought that when Mountain Lion comes along next month, I'd have to switch to Safari to take advantage of tab syncing etc. Now with Chrome on iOS, all is well and I can continue using my favourite browser.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Might be worth a download if I can use it to print to my home printer when I am away from my wifi network. I doubt I will use it instead of safari for most browsing however.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I agree, but you have a choice. There are a number of browsers in the App Store. Just like the Mac, just because iOS ships with Safari does not mean you have to use it.

No, you don't have a choice, you have to use the same UIWebkit for all the browsers and the same rendering and js engines

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Ok, while some people want more "choice", what does this really give us? Safari Mobile beats Android browsers in the Sunspider benchmarks even when pitted against quadcore Tegra 3 hardware versions an A5 iPad 2 or A5X iPad 3.

Not everything is about speed. I want Chrome because I use it on OS X and Windows 7. Now that it will be on iOS, I can have synced tabs and bookmarks across everything I use.

MacBird

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2010
Will Chrome have ad-blocking as an option? This is the only thing I really miss in iOS Safari.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Wouldn't use this even if they paid me to use it. Trying to cut myself free from all Google products and services.

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
why is this a big deal :confused:
What can chrome do that safari doesnt

i like Safari too, but Chrome can run sandboxed C++ apps. This opens up a lot of options on browser based apps for business and gaming.

Don't know if the iOS version will be able to handle that tho since it is gonna be a "webkit based" engine.

As far as the default browser thing. I wonder if you can just disable safari if you wanted to in the restrictions and perhaps force the OS to fail to launch it.

Might be a pain tho.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

So even if Apple allowed a non-Safari webkit engine based browser on iOS, it would be slower anyway than just having a skin on the standard webkit control.

No it doesn't The stock ICS browser on my nexus blows away the ios browser in sunspider, even the ios 6 one, and chrome for android kills it even more.

I got about 1500 Ms on the stock ics browser. Chrome from my experience is about 1200. Lower is better.

Last edited:

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
iOS Chrome requires iOS 4.3, while Android Chrome requires Android 4.0. Ironically that means that 99% of the iOS users can use Chrome, while only 10% of the Android users can.

About as ironic as the fact that iPhone 4(S) is supported on a 11 year old Windows OS but not on a 7 year old Mac OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.