Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
iOS Chrome requires iOS 4.3, while Android Chrome requires Android 4.0. Ironically that means that 99% of the iOS users can use Chrome, while only 10% of the Android users can.

Yes. But in a year that won't matter at all because people update their phones every 1-2 years typically and if they're buying a new phone, it will have ICS o Jellybean.

Meanwhile, Android users will still "enjoy" a fuller-functioning version of Chrome vs Apple's version which will be restricted in several ways.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Apple, give us the choice!

Competition leads to better browsers.

Recall when Steve got up there and said "we believe in choice" in regard to browsers with the whole IE deal...now they lock us in with no way to switch default browsers? Hm.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
i like Safari too, but Chrome can run sandboxed C++ apps. This opens up a lot of options on browser based apps for business and gaming.

Don't know if the iOS version will be able to handle that tho since it is gonna be a "webkit based" engine.

Chrome on OS X/Linux/Windows also uses Webkit. What you're talking about is NaCL. It requires an outside plug-in, something you won't ever see on iOS unfortunately.

----------

No it doesn't The stock ICS browser on my nexus blows away the ios browser in sunspider, even the ios 6 one, and chrome for android kills it even more.

But Chrome for iOS won't beat Safari Mobile, because it won't be able to use Nitro.

----------

Recall when Steve got up there and said "we believe in choice" in regard to browsers with the whole IE deal...now they lock us in with no way to switch default browsers? Hm.

Steve believed in choices that lined Apple's pockets with money. He doesn't believe in choices that don't.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This is essentially gonna be safari with a chrome tab interface. The engine is pretty much identical to safari. Its not like the android version that blows the lid off in speed of every other mobile browser.

Actually Apple forked webkit and did some big changes specific to mobile safari. You'll probably find Chrome (which always tends to run a much newer version of Webkit than Safari) will have a few differences.

Also dont forget that Chrome has tab sandboxing, safari does not. That in addition to a HUGE library of extensions.

This is good news. Chrome is the best browser on the desktop and will certainly add value to iOS.

At this point I really do have to question why Apple are still not allowing free choice. It'll come down to a lawsuit, forcing them to allow the user to choose their default mail client and browser.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Actually Apple forked webkit and did some big changes specific to mobile safari. You'll probably find Chrome (which always tends to run a much newer version of Webkit than Safari) will have a few differences.

Also dont forget that Chrome has tab sandboxing, safari does not. That in addition to a HUGE library of extensions.

This is good news. Chrome is the best browser on the desktop and will certainly add value to iOS.

At this point I really do have to question why Apple are still not allowing free choice. It'll come down to a lawsuit, forcing them to allow the user to choose their default mail client and browser.
Yes I know chrome is different but apple isn't letting google use those changes.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
For mobile?

It does for Android :

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2440264&p=mktg_mobile_security

From the keynote going on, there's not much meat :

10:20 am: Here we go, news! Chrome is coming to the iPhone. Later today Chrome will roll out in the App Store. Rakowski demos features like closing tabs with a swipe and dragging tabs from side to side.

And Chrome is also coming out for the iPad, with tabs on top because there’s more space on the tablet.

He shows his credentials — in this case for the New York Times — are synced across devices, even though he’d never been to nytimes.com on that device before. Nice.

Also, Incognito works on iOS. Rakowski: “I hope you’ll find that using Incognito on a touch device is a great experience.” That gets a giggle.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Will Chrome have ad-blocking as an option? This is the only thing I really miss in iOS Safari.

Given the huge extension library, yes. Chrome extensions outnumber safari extensions dramatically, and they are designed to work on all platforms so I see no reason why they wont work on iOS.

This is where chrome has a HUGE advantage over Safari - the extensions library.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yes I know chrome is different but apple isn't letting google use those changes.

Could you point to where this was said for chrome? As I recall, when the rules on browsers was relaxed, every new browser ran a standard UIWebKit instance just because it was easier. Nobody has yet tried using a non-UIWebKit based browser on iOS. I cant imagine Chrome would be released if it has to use such a limited instance of the framework.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
For mobile?

No idea, we'll find out later today. Chrome is pretty consistant across all platforms - if it was significantly different it would be called something like 'Chrome Mobile' (a bit like Opera did) to differentiate the software.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Except for people who don't have iCloud accounts and don't use Safari on OS X or Windows.

Aren't iCloud accounts free? Regarding your second point, the same problem happens if people don't use Chrome on their OS X or Windows, so really the only difference is the password syncing (hopefully Apple will add that soon) and the fact that there is no Safari/iCloud, so far as I know, for linux. +Extensions if those work.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Could you point to where this was said for chrome? As I recall, when the rules on browsers was relaxed, every new browser ran a standard UIWebKit instance just because it was easier. Nobody has yet tried using a non-UIWebKit based browser on iOS. I cant imagine Chrome would be released if it has to use such a limited instance of the framework.

Nothing was said for Chrome. Look what I posted, that's all they said for now :

- Incognito mode
- synced credentials
- probably synced tabs
- available later today.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
No nitro speed, no default, no care......

I would like the option to set defaults (mail, browser, etc) and I wish apple would allow 3rd party browsers to make JavaScript speed improvements. Until then it's pointless for me to even download it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.