Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:16 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Call of Duty: Black Ops Coming to Mac This Fall, Half-Price Sale on Older CoD Titles

Call of Duty: Black Ops, the bestselling first-person shooter, is coming to the Mac this fall from Aspyr.

Pricing and system requirements have not been announced, but the game will include the full single-player campaign, multiplayer, and both co-op and single-player Zombie mode.
Quote:
Aspyr Media, Inc., the leader in Mac game publishing, announced today that Activision Publishing, Inc.'s record-setting Call of Dutyģ: Black Ops will be coming to the Mac. Developed originally by award-winning studio Treyarch and brought to the Mac by Aspyr Media, the Mac version of the epic Call of Dutyģ blockbuster will be available on Macs worldwide in digital and boxed formats this fall.

Call of Duty: Black Ops takes players to conflicts across the globe as elite black operations forces fight in the deniable operations and secret wars that occurred under the veil of the Cold War. Featuring an adrenaline-pumping single-player campaign, out-of-this-world Zombies co-operative game mode, and an incredibly deep multiplayer experience, Call of Duty: Black Ops delivers the complete Call of Duty experience with amazing enhanced graphics, streaming texture technology, and superior lighting effects for the most immersive and cinematic action.

Along with the Black Ops announcement, Aspyr has put Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2, and Call of Duty 4 on sale for 50% off on the Mac App Store [Direct Link] and the GameAgent digital download store.

Article Link: Call of Duty: Black Ops Coming to Mac This Fall, Half-Price Sale on Older CoD Titles
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Battlefield Fan
Banned

A year late...
Battlefield Fan is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:19 PM   #3
3bs
macrumors 603

How would this run on a new 11" MacBook Air 2.0 GHz i7, 8GB RAM? The version that's on sale.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #4
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

I'm afraid the mac will always be late for big name games, but I rarely play on my mac anyway. I'm a console gamer.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

Now I am really hoping that the iMacs are updated soon with decent graphic card options.
Ciclismo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlefield Fan View Post
A year late...
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

Iím for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
Over The Hill is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Torrijos
macrumors 6502

The entire series is overpriced for their age and qualities.

I enjoyed the first two YEARS ago, but seeing them at those prices now is a bit ridiculous.

Then again I just checked on Steam and the windows versions are as expensive if not more, even if they have been there since late 2006 (6+ years old games should see a declining price). At least Steam offers packs (that are still overpriced).

I wonder if the latest games are true ports or Cider wrappers?
Torrijos is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Icaras
macrumors 601

Great news! I just hope Aspyr can fill in the gaps and bring out World at War and/or MW2 next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hill View Post
You know not all people are chasing games and even have time to play them all day.

I’m for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
Exactly. Even though I have bootcamp, I'm just not a day 1 person when it comes to games. My intense backlog of games insures that. I'd also rather get this on the Mac so I really don't mind waiting.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:06 PM   #9
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

I haven't played a game in many years, do you typically need a mouse to play these?
JohnDoe98 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:09 PM   #10
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816

What I want is a port for a battlefield game. Although I'd still buy the PC version because it'd perform better than mac. But I still want the choice and not everyone likes to bootcamp
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #11
frunkis54
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hill View Post

Iím for example am happy that i will be able to play this great shooter when i feel like it.
yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac
frunkis54 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:11 PM   #12
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe98 View Post
I haven't played a game in many years, do you typically need a mouse to play these?
Yea, a good ol' mouse and keyboard is all you need for any first person shooter, and most PC/Mac games for that matter.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:15 PM   #13
Over The Hill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by frunkis54 View Post
yes but by fall when its suppose to be release it will be a 2year old game. they should be working on MW3 for Mac
So what? Will it be less fun? I still play Diablo II from time to time. I really have no idea what this year counting thing has at all to do with games. If a game is good, itís good.
Over The Hill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:29 PM   #14
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
Yea, a good ol' mouse and keyboard is all you need for any first person shooter, and most PC/Mac games for that matter.
K thanks. I guess no gaming for me, not worth buying a mouse just to play the occasional game. I guess there is always chess or iPad games.
JohnDoe98 is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:30 PM   #15
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciclismo View Post
Now I am really hoping that the iMacs are updated soon with decent graphic card options.
I've run this game on my 2011 iMac through boot camp in 1080p with no problems. The current line of iMacs should be plenty sufficient for this.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Ciclismo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiefan89 View Post
I've run this game on my 2011 iMac through boot camp in 1080p with no problems. The current line of iMacs should be plenty sufficient for this.
Ja, but at how many FPS? Plus I'd like to give BF3 a whirl at Ultra with 45+FPS. Sure that it might be a bit of a pipe dream as it would prolly take a GTX 680 or so on a 27", but still...
Ciclismo is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:50 PM   #17
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Newer iMac be damned Any current iMac will play it just fine. I played this game almost 2 years ago on my 2009 iMac, using Crossover Windows emulator, with decent graphics settings.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 02:59 PM   #18
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

I wish we would see a Mac Pro priced at the Mac Mini level with lower specs of course.. I love being able to upgrade a computer..
Yamcha is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:28 PM   #19
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

Fantastic news!
I've enjoyed playing Aspyr's excellent Mac conversion of Call of Duty 4 a whole lot (100+ hours).
Will buy.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:37 PM   #20
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ja, but at how many FPS? Plus I'd like to give BF3 a whirl at Ultra with 45+FPS. Sure that it might be a bit of a pipe dream as it would prolly take a GTX 680 or so on a 27", but still...
I don't know about the exact frame rate because I don't know how to set that up, but I do know it was buttery smooth on max settings.

As for Battlefield 3, I also obtained a VERY smooth framerate out of that game in all max settings playing at 1600x900 resolution. Of course, then just for laughs I tried playing the game on the LOWEST resolution and was amazed to find almost NO difference in overall graphical quality. I had very similar results with Crysis 2.

Note that in all this I was using the same iMac cited in my signature, and I was running it all in Windows 7 64-bit through Bootcamp. It's about as optimized as you can get gaming on an iMac to be today... but it's still a benchmark nonetheless.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Icaras
macrumors 601

Quote:
K thanks. I guess no gaming for me, not worth buying a mouse just to play the occasional game. I guess there is always chess or iPad games.
Well I have seen people here who have experiences using the trackpad to play shooting games and they find it enjoyable. Not my own preferred input method, but it may be worth checking out. You could always grab a free demo at Steam, like Portal and give it a try. But if your using something like a track ball however, I wouldn't bother
Old Jun 28, 2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrijos View Post
I wonder if the latest games are true ports or Cider wrappers?
As far as I'm aware, Aspyr always does true ports.
Nermal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:14 PM   #23
JohnDoe98
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Well I have seen people here who have experiences using the trackpad to play shooting games and they find it enjoyable. Not my own preferred input method, but it may be worth checking out. You could always grab a free demo at Steam, like Portal and give it a try. But if your using something like a track ball however, I wouldn't bother
Nice tips. Didn't know they had demos. Thanks.
JohnDoe98 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:21 PM   #24
vastoholic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I wouldn't think using my track pad would be enjoyable at all for fast paced shooters like this? I'll have to try it out sometime.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:40 PM   #25
flamehairedlove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
It would be great to have a decent mac compatible controller
flamehairedlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion