Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage33.png
Apple Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield is retiring, according to an Apple press release. He joined Apple in 1999. He has led Mac hardware engineering since 2005, along with iPhone, iPod, and iPad engineering since 2010.
Apple® today announced that Bob Mansfield, Apple's senior vice president of Hardware Engineering, will retire and the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months. The entire hardware engineering team will continue to report to Mansfield until his departure.

"Bob has been an instrumental part of our executive team, leading the hardware engineering organization and overseeing the team that has delivered dozens of breakthrough products over the years," said Tim Cook, Apple's CEO. "We are very sad to have him leave and hope he enjoys every day of his retirement."
Mansfield has been instrumental in Apple's success in recent years, overseeing the development of the very successful MacBook Air notebooks, as well as recent iPhone and iPad designs. With rumors of an iPhone redesign coming this fall, it's possible that Mansfield wanted to stay with Apple through the introduction of that product.

He has sold off more than $70 million in Apple stock and options in the past few years.

Dan Riccio, the executive taking over Mansfield's responsibilities, has been with Apple since 1998. He was vice president of product design for 12 years before taking over the iPad division in 2010. Apple's press release says Riccio "has been a key contributor to most of Apple's hardware over his career."

In a separate announcement made today in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Apple reported that Corporate Controller and Principal Accounting Office Betsy Rafael will also be retiring, effective October 19.

Article Link: Apple Announces Retirement of Bob Mansfield, Senior VP of Hardware Engineering

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Oh man. Mansfeld seemed like a solid guy but hell if I had millions in stock options I too would get on with my life.

Godspeed Mansfeld!

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well he has certainty deserved it! Thanks and best of luck Bob! :D

But I'll miss seeing his face in the videos Apple releases. :)

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Now what?

Have fun, Bob. Now you can sit around wiping your a$$ with $100 bills, and enjoy your grandkids.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
its understandable, but if I had his job (me personally & no one else) I think I'd work literally until the day I died. He's done Apple well these past few years and deserves his break.

TwinMonkeys

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2012
This dude is probably loaded!

Yes. He's probably loaded, and has the opportunity to spend the next 20-30 years living it up anywhere he wants doing almost anything he wants to do. I don't blame him for wanting to get out and live a stress-free life even if he's a bit younger than traditional retirement age.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Oh man. Mansfeld seemed like a solid guy but hell if I had millions in stock options I too would get on with my life.

Godspeed Mansfeld!

It doesn't have to mean that he'll never work again. It could be a new job or it could just be personal projects.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
The dream in business is to get rich so you can enjoy life. This is what he seems to be doing, so good for him!

Granted, designing products may be fun for a while, but everyone burns out doing the same thing day in and day out. And if you spend all your life in the office, you won't get to enjoy any of the benefits of making all that money.

And you really have to make some good memories and have great experiences to truly live life.

No one on their deathbed has ever said "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office."

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Good luck Bob.

"the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months"

This has me wondering if Apple truly is becoming an iToy company.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
The conclusion: If you don't like iOS inclusion in OS X, prepare to accept it or move on. I think we're going to start seeing some of it on the hardware level as well, maybe the inclusion of touch based hardware anyone?

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Good luck Bob.

"the role will be transitioned to Dan Riccio, Apple's vice president of iPad Hardware Engineering, over several months"

This has me wondering in Apple truly is becoming an iToy company.

Yeah, kind of scary. Bob Mansfield knew what was up on all courts.

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
Really, any SVP at Apple can retire right now with enough money for the rest of their lives. So Mansfield quits.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Good luck Bob.

This has me wondering if Apple truly is becoming an iToy company.

He was just the next most qualified, most likely. The fact that he was the head of engineering for a media consumption device does not mean that's the only thing he comprehends or will be competent at. It also seems likely to me that the head of iphone engineering probably stayed in place to have laser focus on the end of the next iphone's design cycle and the next iphone going forward given the competition in that market segment is much stiffer for apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.