Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Magsafe do you prefer?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The new Magsafe 2 is dislodging a lot more than my Magsafe 1 on my 2010 Air if I use it as I mostly do, ie on my lap/sofa/cushion, so I have to make sure have nothing near that side of the MBA, which is a little intrusive.

It's nice that it's thinner but the 'L' one was more robust, in my own experience anyway.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I've not tried the new mag 2 connector, but i did prefer my old T magsafe on my crackbook compared with the L on my MBP

hempcamp

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2007
DC/VA
I went through 3 L-connectors on my last MacBook due to fraying. I don't know if that was due to the L-shape or not, but at least so far with the Magsafe 2 T shape, there seems to be less torsion on the cord when the laptop is moved around.

thehumorpolice

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2012
It sucks because the slightest up or down pull removes it from the laptop. It makes it hard to charge my MBA while it's in my bag. The new one, that is.

Last edited:

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
I thought the MagSafe 1 T connector was great. Clearly groundbreaking. Saved me a number of times from either potentially breaking a cord or connector or sending my laptop to the ground. Not that I ever had a serious incident before MagSafe though so its only a "potential". I never had one of these fray but I know many who did. I did have the annoyance of periodic accidental disconnects.

I thought the MagSafe 1 L connector was a big improvement in style, loved the way it reduced bulk on the side of the machine, seemed to address the fraying and suffered far fewer accidental disconnects. But it was clear that it might not work so well if the cord was tugged in line to the side of the machine and it could result in a spill to the floor or damaged cord which kind of defeated it's purpose.

The new MagSafe 2 T releases easier the the previous two, seems better reinforced than the original and seems from a pure effectiveness perspective is the best yet. But it's not as elegant as the L and suffers more accidental disconnects. It's incompatibility is also a pain. I get that it's slimmer and might allow for slimmer notebooks in the future but I do not get the impression Apple took any advantage of this yet and that now I have a bunch of obsolete and expensive power supplies I have to buy expensive and inelegant dongles for. So I'm not a fan of MagSafe 2 yet.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The frequency of disconnects on the new panel is becoming increasingly intrusive. Strongly prefer the old 'L' Magsafe 1 now.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I thought the whole point of magsafe is to prevent your laptop from falling down if someone accidentally trips on the cord. It seems with the reports of the magsafe 2 that easily breaking off would accomplish that goal, as a stronger fit would still result in the laptop falling (since the magnet may not disconnected as easily and with enough force would force the laptop down).

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
The more I'm using my 11" portably, ie on my lap, on a cushion etc, the more unsatisfied I am with Magsafe 2. It dislodges way, way too easily. The mildest of pressure vertically and suddenly it's off. Much prefer the L shape so far.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
It sucks because the slightest up or down pull removes it from the laptop. It makes it hard to charge my MBA while it's in my bag. The new one, that is.
That is a very dumb way of charging your notebook. Both the charger and the battery/notebook will get hot. Put it in a tight space and it will get hotter. This not only is bad for the hardware like the battery but it is also a very big fire hazard. Never ever charge a notebook the way you are doing it!

I like the Magsafe2 because it actually dislodges saving the notebook while the L-one never did. The old T-shape has a better grip than the L-one because of its size. The Magsafe2 improves the old T-one in this area because it is a bit wider and thinner. Makes manually connecting and disconnecting the power connecter much easier. I don't have to yank the cable like I had to with the old L-one. All of the Magsafe connectors will charge the notebook without any problems though.

Highlander-

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
I went through 3 L-connectors on my last MacBook due to fraying. I don't know if that was due to the L-shape or not, but at least so far with the Magsafe 2 T shape, there seems to be less torsion on the cord when the laptop is moved around.

Yeah, the L-connector was a pain in the arse... I went through 2 cables as well because of the cord pulling hard backwards at an angle. T shape makes more sense in terms of comfortable angles.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
This is the first time I am experiencing MagSafe. Compared to the more conventional plug from my PowerBook, it disconnects way too easily for my taste. Fortunately enough, I use my Air on the go and stick the charger when I get home, and as such, the Air is left alone at home.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I've used both, and I much prefer MagSafe 2. The cord near the connector doesn't bend as much, so there's less possibility of fraying or internal wiring problems. Sometimes it disconnects a little bit too easily, but I'd rather it be too easily than too difficult when the day comes that one of my friends trip on the cord.

mpopkin

macrumors 6502
Nov 14, 2003
Chapel Hill, NC
I've used both, and I much prefer MagSafe 2. The cord near the connector doesn't bend as much, so there's less possibility of fraying or internal wiring problems. Sometimes it disconnects a little bit too easily, but I'd rather it be too easily than too difficult when the day comes that one of my friends trip on the cord.

I have used all three versions, the original Magsafe(T), the newer(L) and with my rMBP the 2, and the two absolutely SUCKS. It falls off if you move the machine an inch, it falls off if you look at it the wrong way(joke),

I love Magsafe and the concept around it, but if i had to review the Magsafe 2 I would say that it is a make or break for buying a mac, if I did not love the retina display I would return it, because it is ineffective and disconnects too easily,

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
Sometimes I use my MacBook while lounging in my easy chair. The "L" style is good I it is leaning against my leg or the arm of the chair, whereas the new connector sticks out too far. I am afraid I woul damage the connector.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The T shape is fine. But the L shape has two advantages I prefer. The direction of the wire, and the more secure the L shape seems to be. It's never dislodged by itself, whereas the T does quite regularly.

Upon inspection the genius at Apple relaced my first T MagSafe. He thought it was too loose. The new one clicks into place better. Just like the L, yet no matter how carefully I route the cord, the T dislodges.

Otherwise they're just fine.

Rokeneer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2011
The "T" shaped magsafe is nothing new. It made its debut in 2006 with the original MBP. I have had the pleasure of owning 2 "T" shape, and 2 "L" shape Magsafe adapters. I by far prefer the "T", because it is easier to use and doesn't tend to fall off like the "L" shape does. I think it holds because it is slightly larger, allowing for a bigger and stronger magnet.

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
I prefer the old T-Connector, never had any problems with it. My charger from 2008 is still in mint condition.

tredstone

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
I don't really like the new connector. I can't think of a scenario where it works better than the L-shape mag. I used to be able to hover the L mag by the port and it would instantly and easily snap in. This one requires a more deliberate approach. It breaks off more easily, which happens a lot if you try to charge it in a bag and then attempt to lean the bag against a wall.

tvamvarg

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2009
Interesting how the poll gives about equal ranks between the two. But 90% of all posts in this thread argues (mostly well) against Magsafe 2.

I never used the L connector, but I strongly prefer the Magsafe 1 on my MB Unibody to the 2 on my MBA - as others note here it requires more deliberate work to connect, and it dislodges too easily on vertical (laptop lying down) forces. However, I have considered that the lightness of the MBA might defeat the purpose of the magnets (i.e. snapping off instead of pulling the computer to the floor) if Magsafe 1 was used as it was.

I'm not really buying that it had to be made thinner for design purposes either. Sounds too much a change for change's sake to me. And with lower usability and lack of compatibility as a result.

knarzie

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2008
the original one (T shaped?) on my late 2008 unibody lasted almost 3 years. I got it replaced 2 weeks before my AppleCare ran out. They gave me an L-shaped one a year ago which is already taped up, as the rubber coating has split and I can already see the wires. Only a matter of months before I'll have to buy a new one.

Jaypi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
Los Angeles
I have a T shaped adapter and it sucks :( It always flips off .. The L adapter is so much better for sitting on the coach etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.