Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Anyone know of some good RPG games for Mac?

Here is list of some RPG games I know of that will run with out bootcamp or wine.

Torchlight
Neverwinter Nights 2

Dungeons Of Dredmor
Dragon Age: Origins
Din’s Curse

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Borderlands
Avadon
Two Worlds 2
The Black Fortress
WoW
Avernum
Neverwinter Nights
Helbreath

All these games will run on OS X.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Some of these games I don't know if they will run on Mac but are very good.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Awesome use of the open class system, awesome weapons, best hack 'n slash combat I have seen in my life... Ask almost anyone, they will tell you this is good.

Dragon Age Origins: Amazing RPG with great story and an awesome way of changing the story depending on the choices you make in the game. Real time strategic combat, pausable for strategic descisions.

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic: Best. RPG. Ever. If you like Star Wars, this game has the most different weapons and clothing options in any game i've ever seen. Also, the different light and dark endings make for an awesome story, similar combat system to Dragon Age (awesome).

Fallout 3: Future post-apocolypse setting with a first person shooter twist to it, but still an RPG... What is lacks in magic and evil spirits it has in awesomeness. It has zombies and radiation mutants though... Also, story is amazing.

Mass Effect series: I've never played them but they look good and everyone I know who's played them liked them...

I know I only have from Bethesda and Bio-Ware but those are the best RPGs I could think of.

Renzatic

Suspended
Not quite related to the thread, since it'll require bootcamp or wine to run, but I can't resist passing up recommending two of my favorite games of all time.

Gothic 2

...and to a slightly lesser extent...

Gothic 1

The controls take a bit to get used to, and the games are at times unforgivably difficult, but holy crap they're great. It's one of the few RPGs out there that actually go the distance to make the world and the people living in it feel like living, breathing things. Even if most of the people you do meet are kind of self centered bastards out to make life difficult for you.

I heartily recommend them both.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
What an awesome thread! I wouldn't have known about the ridiculous Amazon Dragon Age sale if I hadn't seen this.

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
- Dragon Age Origins
- Dragon Age expansion - Awakenings
- Loads of DLC (about 6 new CAMPAIGNS)

For Mac OS X

Total price? $7.49. Seven dollars and forty nine cents!

No brainer. Bought, installed, totally awesome. What are you waiting for?

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Yap if you like that game you really like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion. They are all windows games and there no mac version .

I don't know any Mac games like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion but they are really awesome games.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
What an awesome thread! I wouldn't have known about the ridiculous Amazon Dragon Age sale if I hadn't seen this.

Dragon Age Origins - Ultimate Edition
- Dragon Age Origins
- Dragon Age expansion - Awakenings
- Loads of DLC (about 6 new CAMPAIGNS)

For Mac OS X

Total price? $7.49. Seven dollars and forty nine cents!

No brainer. Bought, installed, totally awesome. What are you waiting for?

I read a recent buyer comment on Amazon that was complaining they were making a mistake and providing Mac users with PC serial numbers which didn't work. This scared me off a little. I own the game for Windows where I only recently switched to Mac but haven't played it yet and would love to pick up the OS X version for cheap if I can. I am hesitant now though after what I read.

You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues? I'll go grab a copy too if so.

----------

Avernum: Escape from the Pit is on sale cheap on Steam as a daily special but it is running out soon today. It's going for under 4 bucks.

Also, Avernum 4, 5 and 6 for Mac can be had for dirt cheap by getting the current Groupees sale bundle at http://groupees.com/bemine3

For as cheap as four bucks you can get all three Avernums for quite the value for the money if you'd enjoy some old school RPG gameplay.

DeFish

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
Deathspank
Dungeons Of Dredmor
Eschalon: Book I & II
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga
Neverwinter Nights 2

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Yap if you like that game you really like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion. They are all windows games and there no mac version .

I don't know any Mac games like Morrowind ,Skyrim and Oblivion but they are really awesome games.

I know this thread is for games that are expressly written for Mac, but you need to know that you can run MANY windows games on the Mac using 'wrappers', as long as you have the game disc/downloads. Check out the Porting Team's site.

http://portingteam.com/frontpage

Using wrappers from their site and my game discs, I am able to run Morrowind, Oblivion, Battle for Middle Earth II, Sins of a Solar Empire, and Star Wars - Republic Commando right in Mac OS X, full speed, full screen, native resolution. Good stuff!

I read a recent buyer comment on Amazon that was complaining they were making a mistake and providing Mac users with PC serial numbers which didn't work. This scared me off a little. I own the game for Windows where I only recently switched to Mac but haven't played it yet and would love to pick up the OS X version for cheap if I can. I am hesitant now though after what I read.

You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues? I'll go grab a copy too if so.

I saw those comments too, but rolled the dice. Download took quite a while. Install took almost 45 minutes all told. Was asked for keys, provided what I got (one of them was asked for twice, made me nervous).

Everything worked flawlessly. The game rocks. Go get it, man!

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
VA
You were able to install and use the supplied serial number with no issues?

I bought the amazon deal for mac and i can say the codes work. the ultimate edition of origins.

also i am able to download the PC version using the same codes off of EA's ORIGIN service.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
What is wrappers.

I think a lot people use Wine or emulator if they do not want to buy windows on Mac.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Just snagged the Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition deal on Amazon. Thanks guys! Sweet deal! :)

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
What is wrappers.

I think a lot people use Wine or emulator if they do not want to buy windows on Mac.

Wrappers are what WINE creates in order to provide a windows environment to the program you want to run. So, wrappers and WINE are kinda the same thing.

Emulators for windows, well . . . there are programs that 'virtualize' the windows environment on an OS that is not windows. They snag some of your hard drive and create a container that basically becomes a separate computer on your Mac. The popular commercial one is Parallels Desktop. A good free one is VirtualBox. You need a copy of Windows to install into them, though. And there are performance hits.

WINE, if the wrappers contain all the services the program needs, does not have significant performance hits because it is not an emulator. WINE actually stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

Just go check out the Porting Team, and see if you can get some of your Windows games to go. It's usually a no go, but every once in a while, like Morrowind in my case, it's awesome!

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Wrappers are what WINE creates in order to provide a windows environment to the program you want to run. So, wrappers and WINE are kinda the same thing.

Ya so Wrappers or WINE are sort of like emulators.

Emulators for windows, well . . . there are programs that 'virtualize' the windows environment on an OS that is not windows. They snag some of your hard drive and create a container that basically becomes a separate computer on your Mac. The popular commercial one is Parallels Desktop. A good free one is VirtualBox. You need a copy of Windows to install into them, though. And there are performance hits.

Well emulators are not virtualize box. All emulators do is translate code. Where virtualize box is running OS on under control of the main OS . So you can boot into OS X and run virtualize box of any OS .

WINE, if the wrappers contain all the services the program needs, does not have significant performance hits because it is not an emulator. WINE actually stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator".

I don't see how emulator would be performance hit all it is doing is translate code.

Just go check out the Porting Team, and see if you can get some of your Windows games to go. It's usually a no go, but every once in a while, like Morrowind in my case, it's awesome!

What is this porting or port thing that people keep saying .

tomtom2234

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2010
New Orleans
Anyone know of some good RPG games for Mac?

Here is list of some RPG games I know of that will run with out bootcamp or wine.

Torchlight
Neverwinter Nights 2

Dungeons Of Dredmor
Din’s Curse

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
Dragon Age
Dragon Age 2
Borderlands
Avadon
Two Worlds 2
The Black Fortress
WoW
Avernum
Neverwinter Nights
Helbreath

All these games will run on OS X.

Uhh, hello, Diablo III!?

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Just downloaded and installed Dragon Age Origins on my base line MBP with Retina. When I started the game and clicked Play, I only get sound. Anyone else have this issue?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
I don't see how emulator would be performance hit all it is doing is translate code.

Exactly. It is translating code. Constantly. Would you rather read a book in your native language, or have someone interpret a book written in a foreign language to you? Which one might take longer than the other? WINE provides all the components necessary to simulate a complete Windows environment. The program runs, and as far as it knows, it's running in windows. If it needs some GUI element, it's there. If it calls for some system DLL, there it is. It's native, therefore it's fast. Emulators have to translate EVERY BYTE of executable code from the source into the binary equivalent to produce the original intended action on the target platform. This takes time, and a performance hit results.

What is this porting or port thing that people keep saying .

Just click on the link in one of my previous posts for the porting team. It's good stuff.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Exactly. It is translating code. Constantly. Would you rather read a book in your native language, or have someone interpret a book written in a foreign language to you? Which one might take longer than the other? WINE provides all the components necessary to simulate a complete Windows environment. The program runs, and as far as it knows, it's running in windows. If it needs some GUI element, it's there. If it calls for some system DLL, there it is. It's native, therefore it's fast. Emulators have to translate EVERY BYTE of executable code from the source into the binary equivalent to produce the original intended action on the target platform. This takes time, and a performance hit results.

Just click on the link in one of my previous posts for the porting team. It's good stuff.

Well WINE is kind of like a emulator.Well WINE may simulate some windows environment I can't see it doing to much has that will need windows to be installed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.