Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David Brownz

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2012
Sunnyvale,usa
Iphone Tips

Safari web browser is one of the most useful browser which provides various attractive features, it even checks your spelling and grammar. It simplify the way of web searching and results.

Dominirey

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2011
Music App

You can delete songs from your iPhone(or iTouch, or iPad) with a swipe and press of the delete button that appears in the same way as e-mails in the mail app.

MarkJosephSJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong thread to post in.

I texted *3282# to figure out my current usage statistics and received the following:

Next Bill Cycle : 07/27/12
Data (MB): 954.66 of 3,072
Messaging: 2,346
Group Messaging: 5,801 of Unlimited
Visit us online at www.att.com/DataPlans

My questions are as follows:

1.) How do I read the numbers given? Obviously my Data is in Megabytes but, what do the numbers for messaging represent?

2.) Is it in kilobytes or megabytes for messaging and group messaging of unlimited?

3.) Does group messaging count toward my data usage being that you can only send as an iMessage?

I doubt I have sent/received 2,346 texts in this billing cycle, which coincidentally is my first cycle being a first time iPhone user.

Sundar83

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
For home button problem use zephyr 3rd party app from cydia just swipe only no need to use home button

ttttttboy66

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Tips

I just got my iPhone 4s. What are some necessary tips I need to know? The biggest thing is I'm afraid to break it. These smart phones aren't as durable as other phones.

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
Anybody know how that Panorama trick is done that was shown in the keynote where the same person was on opposite sides of the pic?

Akash.B

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Anybody know how that Panorama trick is done that was shown in the keynote where the same person was on opposite sides of the pic?

You start the picture with the person their, then you make them run behind you and appear on the other side, and then you complete the swipe for the panorama. Boom!

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
What are you referring to?

As was shown in the keynote the same person was shown in one panoramic pic. But I figured it out, as the person pans when you exit the box run over to the next spot and so forth. I took a pic of me in my office room and am in it 3x it's hilarious!!!!

laz305

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
Miami
Anyone know what the size of the album artwork is now for the iPhone 5 to show fullscreen on the lockscreen. Cuz at 600x600 it leaves a black bar at the top.

onepremiere

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
In my quick search I could not find this tip, so I will share.

Mark "ALL" as Read in Email.

I read most of my email on my phone, and with my mail on my iPad as well the unread mail piles up.

Here's something I found recently.

1. Tap Edit
2. Select a Message (Red Dot, with Check Mark will Appear)
3. Push and Hold the Mark Button.
3A. While Holding the Mark Button, Un-Select the Message you initially Selected from Step 2. (Red Dot will Disappear)
4. Release the mark button. The "Mark As Read" and "Cancel" buttons will slide up from the botton.
5. Select "Mark as Read" and it will mark all of your unread mail.

karemabyte01

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
I have found that there are many people do realize that there are several shortcuts, tips and tricks available on the iPhone which able to make life much easier. With Iphone when entering an email address, hold down the period key to see other address endings. Add emoticons to your keyboard by choosing: Settings, General, Keyboard, International Keyboards, Add New Keyboard, Emoji. When entering a Web address in the browser, hold down the .com key to see alternate URL endings, like .org and .edu.

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Read this from the apple website

To enter a number or symbol quickly, touch and hold 123, then select the key you want. Lifting your finger returns you to the alphabet keyboard.

I can't seem to get it to work, anyone know why?

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Read this from the apple website

To enter a number or symbol quickly, touch and hold 123, then select the key you want. Lifting your finger returns you to the alphabet keyboard.

I can't seem to get it to work, anyone know why?
Works over here. On the first tap and hold it switches directly to the numbers and symbols, and while sliding my finger to pick a number then lifting off it'll automatically switch back to the abcs. A simple quick tap on 123 brings up the numbers and DOESN'T switch back to the letters after pressing some numbers.

Drmedic

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Works over here. On the first tap and hold it switches directly to the numbers and symbols, and while sliding my finger to pick a number then lifting off it'll automatically switch back to the abcs. A simple quick tap on 123 brings up the numbers and DOESN'T switch back to the letters after pressing some numbers.

Ahh thanks, I know what I did wrong. I was holding the 123 with one finger and selecting the number with my other finger.

Egobudike

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
England
Here's another one from a different thread:

When typing, here's a quick way to input a period. Click on the .?123 button and slide your finger over to the period (or comma) and release. A period will be written, and the keyboard will go back to letters. Alternatively, click the .?123 button with your left thumb and tap the period button with the other. Again, you'll get the period and the keyboard will switch back to letters.

yaa i had used this period thing earlier..it was quick..i liked it..

Benasia

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
You could do a whole screenshot of the iPhone screen by pressing the home button and power button at the same time.

You could buy an app called Emoji which enables you to use emoticons on your iPhone.

On a website (safari) tapping the status bar (the bar at the top with the clock) will make scrollable content scroll to the top. It comes in handy in situations like when you’ve scrolled down a long web page or mail message and you quickly need to get back to the top.

You can do a cap lock by pressing shift twice or just touch and hold the Shift key then slide over to a letter you desired.

There are also extra letters by holding a letter on the keyboard screen. For example. when holding the letter 'A' on the screen it will have 8 different letters or symbols of A's

You can force quit an app when its frozen or not responding by holding the home button for 6 seconds in the current app. If its completely frozen, you can do a reset or a reboot by holding the home button and power button for 10 seconds.

In a mail app or a text message app you are able to quickly delete an item by swiping your finger across.

I hope this helps :)

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
You should be able to swipe on any individual song and it should delete. I did this yesterday

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
One of the things I miss is the ability to send word docs or pdf files through email as attachments. I set up an IMAP account at Fastmail and added folders. When you connect through Iphone the folders will show up on your phone. Then all you have to do in email yourself whatever pdf or word docs you want and strore them in a folder (I named my docs). When ever you want to send a file all you have to do is forward the message from your Iphone and the attachment will go with it.

Why not just use Dropbox or any other Cloud based storage solution with an iOS app?

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
You can attach word,excel,PowerPoint and PDF to emails with Docs To Go

I understand that, but he said he missed the possibility of sending files. I'm just pointing out that if you set up a Dropbox account for instance you can send any file (or at least a link to it). That way, he wouldn't have to send the file to himself first...

MistahMumford

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2011
SC

I read most of my email on my phone, and with my mail on my iPad as well the unread mail piles up.

1. Tap Edit
3A. While Holding the Mark Button, Un-Select the Message you initially Selected from Step 2. (Red Dot will Disappear)
4. Release the mark button. The "Mark As Read" and "Cancel" buttons will slide up from the botton.

Nice tip! I have having unread mail in my trash can that I can't seem to find. This fixes it.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Holy crap!! This is what I wanted since iOS 3!!! Thanks!! Some secret Contra code right there.

1. Tap Edit

Also, Holding the new message button in the mail app brings up your saved drafts. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.