Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzcooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Hello,

Please be nice I'm new here and apologies if I've posted this in the wrong section.
My friend has recently bought a iPad 2 from eBay thinking it was brand new as the auction stated it was brand new. We were using eBay uk so we thought the item would be from the UK. But we were surprised to find that over two weeks later it had been shipped from the states. And the code on the back of the box read FC769LL/A RFB IPAD 2 WI-FI 16GB BLACK-USA.
I've typed the code into google and its come back as refurbished, but the box wasnt the usual plain refurbished unit it was a proper iPad 2 box. And I must add the box was not shrink wrapped just had apple stickers holding the sides down. We've contacted the seller he assures me it is brand new, and said the box would have been different. But that code is bugging me and the fact that it was not shrink wrapped. Could anyone help me on this matter or direct me a website where I can check, or should I just pop into my local apple shop. Many thanks in advance for any replies,

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
If the iPad 2 serial number starts with DK then it's a refurb. You can do a search on this forum or via Google for the iPad serial number look up.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Also, if you JB it and install BatteryDetective, you'll be able to check the cycle count of the battery. If it's over 2-3, then it's surely a refurb.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Also, if you JB it and install BatteryDetective, you'll be able to check the cycle count of the battery. If it's over 2-3, then it's surely a refurb.

Um that is absolutely FALSE :rolleyes:

Apple refurbs come with a brand new outer shell, a brand new battery and a 1 year warranty.

DutchAmerican

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2012
Drunen, Netherlands
Um that is absolutely FALSE :rolleyes:

Apple refurbs come with a brand new outer shell, a brand new battery and a 1 year warranty.

Yep true, so it is just like a new one. Also the hardware parts are also checked. Can't find that many people who have problems with a refurb iPad.

What Rodster says is right, when you check the serial number in settings you find the DK letters!;)

dazzcooney

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2012
Hi ,

Many thanks for all your responses, just to confirm the item is indeed refurbished and the seller on eBay has agreed to refund me. In the end it seems I had to ring apple, as I was going round and round in circles. And they confirmed it, the other poster was indeed correct DK signifys a refurbished unit.
Thanks again,

Darren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.