Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mobileme-500x390.png

As promised, Apple has shut down the MobileMe web service but is still allowing users to migrate their data for a "limited time". Apple had been sending out warnings to users of the impending shutdown.

Apple announced the planned discontinuation of the MobileMe service last year. Apple expects users to migrate to their iCloud service, though not all services have been transitioned to the new service.

Article Link: Apple Shuts Down MobileMe, Data Available for 'Limited Time'

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
good to see apple is still giving people time to backup their data.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I ended up getting all my stuff I had on there Friday. I bet it will be slow for users trying to get their data today.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK
still hope there'll be something equivalent to iDisk in the future, but with Apple's push to having no accessible file system, I doubt it'll happen.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I'm surprised they haven't come out with a substitute for iDisk by now. It's not like they can't do it through Documents in the Cloud regardless of file types.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I ended up getting all my stuff I had on there Friday. I bet it will be slow for users trying to get their data today.

I retrieved my remaining stuff late saturday afternoon Pacific time and it was pretty speedy overall.

Marzzz

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
I just wish they had made iCloud available to Snow Leopard; there is still some important business software that is not yet compatible with Lion.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i switched over a long time ago but i would have thought that a proper iDisk replacement would have happened by now. it had its problems but it worked well enough most of the time.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
I think Apple has been really efficient with reminding people and pushing them towards getting their information off and back. I've used services before that have literally closed shop in a week or two after an announcement. It's that or letting it turn slowly back into the rust of the internet.

Pulling out the fancy graphics though. That's always nice to see.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I think Apple has been really efficient with reminding people and pushing them towards getting their information off and back. I've used services before that have literally closed shop in a week or two after an announcement. It's that or letting it turn slowly back into the rust of the internet.

Apple has a lot of good experience with tweaking/killing off components of their online services.

I echo the other comments hoping for some substitute for iDisk. Dropbox and the like are ok as stop-gaps, but are limited in their functionality with iDevices. Even if there is no visible file system on the user's end, we at least need a way to share multiple file types.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Wow! giving people lots of opportunities to get anything out for there!

They want to shut it down, but they also don't want to screw over customers. I understand where they are coming from. By the time this all is done, Apple hopes to have minimized the number of people that get burned.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
And iCloud is still missing a good bit of its functionality. iCloud has been terrible for me, it doesn't even offer what I signed up for MobileMe for, iDisk and preference syncing.

aajeev

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Speed is okay.

I had totally forgotten about the iDesk until now, and since I was on a couple red eyes flight yesterday there was no way I could have done this. But it turned out to be alright, the speed is good. I was able to download close to 3G all within 20 minutes or so. Either people just don't care, or there are no many iDesk users toward the end.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I think is pretty certain tatt Jobs had a finger in the closing down of MobileMe. He hater how bad it worked and how bad the launch was

My problem is that I (reluctantly) has tried to upgrade my Mbp to Lion, but I keep getting a warning saying the file has been corrupted during download or something. I downloaded it 3 times now and I'm stuck on SL, which I don't mind if it wasn't for the fact that I can't sync my devices anymore

HasanDaddy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Los Angeles
Good night sweet prince. You will be missed. Had an awesome ride since 2007!

Yep!

Been with mobileme since 2002/2003, when it debuted as .mac - kinda upset that I had to transfer all sorts of data, but at least Apple gave a free year of MobileMe and plenty of warning

"good night sweet prince" expresses it perfectly

I

iFanboy

I just wish they had made iCloud available to Snow Leopard; there is still some important business software that is not yet compatible with Lion.

Why would Apple invest time and money in importing features to past versions of OSX because some devs are extremely slow in updating their software?

sloken

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC Canada
BEWARE iPHOTO USERS

Any photos you uploaded to MobileMe Gallery will be put in your iPhoto library as an event called From MobileMe. But... These ARE NOT COPIES of your photos, they are the original photos from your iPhoto Library. When I deleted the event thinking it was just copies of the original photos, I luckily noticed that the photos were missing from the event that has the birth of my first son along with many others.

NOT COOL APPLE!!!

Chrisg2014

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2010
USA
haha I have some crappy photos on my Moblie Me and they keep sending me emails about it. I might be part of the reason why there doing this...

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
Why are people missing iDisk?

Genuine question.

All those bemoaning the loss of iDisk: what are you missing you can't get from, say, DropBox?
I've not touched iDisk since DropBox arrived - and I never liked touching it before that. That's just me - but I'm failing to see what iDisk gave *anyone* that DropBox doesn't (and much better). Perhaps iWeb integration (which is also going (gone?), of course, so that's not really a reason to miss iDisk?

Have I been missing some killer feature of iDisk all this time?

Agreed that iCloud is far from perfect at this time, and is maybe still even a step back from MobileMe in terms of (current) stability and performance. I really hope that improves as Apple do seem to be betting a lot on it - and when Apple does that the whole eco-system gets dragged along for the ride.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.