Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
While using Chrome for iOS and clicking on a thread, username and forum link from the Forum Spy, causes Chrome to open a new tab with only the "About:Blank" address and nothing more. I have to press and hold the link and tell Chrome to "Open in a new tab" in order to get the link to load properly.

This is on the full MacRumors site, the mobile MacRumors site in Chrome seems to work just fine.

I don't know if there is something that can be adjusted in the vBulletin or not, or if this is strictly a Chrome issue.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Forum spy and mobile chrome

Forum spy does not work when opening a link on mobile chrome. All that happens is a new tab pops up with nothing.

It was working a few days ago but hasn't lately, even with a reinstall of the app, iPhone reboot, etc

Anyone else experiencing this?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Yup, happens here. Moderately annoying but I don't use Chrome unless specifically to get certain desktop versions of sites.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Links that are included in messages such as
http://www.bbc.co.uk/

won't load when clicked in chrome for iOS ... at least in my experience.

It's extremely annoying. Like why even bother having it, then?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
While using Chrome for iOS and clicking on a thread, username and forum link from the Forum Spy, causes Chrome to open a new tab with only the "About:Blank" address and nothing more. I have to press and hold the link and tell Chrome to "Open in a new tab" in order to get the link to load properly.

This is on the full MacRumors site, the mobile MacRumors site in Chrome seems to work just fine.

I don't know if there is something that can be adjusted in the vBulletin or not, or if this is strictly a Chrome issue.

Same for me, makes it pretty useless, so I opted back to iCab

Forum spy does not work when opening a link on mobile chrome. All that happens is a new tab pops up with nothing.

It was working a few days ago but hasn't lately, even with a reinstall of the app, iPhone reboot, etc

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yup, happens here. Moderately annoying but I don't use Chrome unless specifically to get certain desktop versions of sites.

Links that are included in messages such as
http://www.bbc.co.uk/

won't load when clicked in chrome for iOS ... at least in my experience.

It's extremely annoying. Like why even bother having it, then?

Fixed.

arn

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Fixed.

arn

I'm not seeing the fix on my end. I've waited several hours thinking I should wait for the changes to propagate, cleared the cache, browsing history and refreshed. Also killed Chrome in the multi-task bar too.

Should I wait longer or is there anything else I can do on my end?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I'm not seeing the fix on my end. I've waited several hours thinking I should wait for the changes to propagate, cleared the cache, browsing history and refreshed. Also killed Chrome in the multi-task bar too.

Not fixed for me either.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Can't remember which didn't work, but the mobile version of the spy now loads threads, but the desktop version of spy doesn't (again, just the about:blank).

Also, why didn't I get the quote notification for the above?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Can't remember which didn't work, but the mobile version of the spy now loads threads, but the desktop version of spy doesn't (again, just the about:blank).

Also, why didn't I get the quote notification for the above?

I didn't have any problems with the mobile site, just the full site.

The quote notifications has been spotty the last couple of weeks I've noticed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So, Chrome on the Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean seems to open these aforementioned links just fine. But Chrome on my iPad still throws the About:Blank pages.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Fixed.

arn

Arn, is there any chance of revisiting this?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I just opened Chrome on iPad again after a long sabbatical and found that it seems the About:Blank issue is gone.

Tapping links from the Spy are opening properly for me at this moment. Yay! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.