Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Associated Press reports that Apple and Chinese company Proview Technology have reached a settlement deal that involves Apple paying $60 million for the rights to the "iPad" trademark in China.
"The iPad dispute resolution is ended," the Guangdong High People's Court said in a statement. "Apple Inc. has transferred $60 million to the account of the Guangdong High Court as requested in the mediation letter."
Proview began publicly objecting to Apple's use of the iPad name in late 2010, with the situation eventually escalating to see Proview demanding bans on iPad sales in the country and up to $2 billion in compensation.

proview_logo.jpg

Settlement talks initiated earlier this year reportedly saw Apple offering $16 million to settle the case, but Proview was apparently holding out for a $400 million settlement that could save the company as it seeks to reorganize under bankruptcy.

Apple argued in several court cases that it had acquired the Chinese rights to the iPad name in late 2009 as part of a deal with Proview's Taiwanese arm. That deal, brokered by Apple dummy corporation IP Application Development, reportedly saw the rights to the name transferred in a number of markets around the globe for just $55,000. Proview later claimed that the Chinese rights to the trademark were owned by its Chinese subsidiary and that the Taiwanese arm consequently could not have sold them to Apple.

Article Link: Apple Settles Chinese 'iPad' Trademark Dispute with Proview for $60 Million

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
Someone just got awfully rich. I wish I came up with that name lol

lol On a serious note, the last line says it all. Proview tried to find a loophole to kill a cash cow, and Apple lawyers said 'not on our watch you're not!'

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
$60 million is a lot for a trademark troll. I'm guessing Apple will do its due diligence a bit better the next time it acquires a "worldwide" trademark from another company through a surrogate.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I still think the iPad is a stupid name for the device.

Dont tell me you didn't laugh when jobs pulled out the iPad and it looked like an oversized iPhone.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Drop dead and ROT Proview.

----------

Dont tell me you didn't laugh when jobs pulled out the iPad and it looked like an oversized iPhone.

I personally didn't, because as an adult I have a pad of paper on my desk at all times.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Apple just needs to look under its couch for $60 million change.

Then when the new iPhone comes out, it replaces this in about the first hour.

StrudelTurnover

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
I'm glad I study Asia-Pacific commerce. This will make a great case example.

Proview later claimed that the Chinese rights to the trademark were owned by its Chinese subsidiary and that the Taiwanese arm consequently could not have sold them to Apple.

The One China policy is also different from the "One China" principle (一個中國原則/"一个中国"原則), which is the principle that insists both Taiwan and mainland China are inalienable parts of a single "China".[3]

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I am glad that the case has been finally settled.

I hope that Apple will not transfer the burden of $60 millions onto its customers in China!

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Well at least this paves the way for the new iPad to make an official appearance in the ROC now! Hong Kong better reduce their shipments now they're not serving iPad orders for the entire of mainland China.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
There not, they have $60,000,000.

Preview is in debt to its creditors by $400million. Now they're in debt $340Million.

They are in fact still broke and shouldn't have gotten anymore than 50k from apple. Oh well. At least it's settled.

FlameofAnor

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Idiots? They just got $60 Million for something they already sold, genius is more like it.

Hardly, they owe their creditors $400 million. Guess who's getting that money? :p

Proview will shortly cease to exist...... Apple just expedited their demise.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
There not, they have $60,000,000.

They still require another $340 Million to stop their bankruptcy...

In any case, Apple, has become quick to settle lawsuits (after Steve's death) and has opted for the easy, pay-my-way-out, instead of going-nuclear alternative.

I wonder if Tim is thinking much into the future by avoiding current hassles.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Apple paying these bozos any amount of money is an outrage, an outrage, I tell you, an outrage!

Yeah, I know that Apple can more than afford it but these clowns at Proview made a deal to give up the iPad trademark long before the iPad's release and therefore really don't have a claim to it now. The original deal should have sealed it long ago and these guys deserve nothing.

$60 million because they feel shafted after the iPad's success and for this to go away on Apple's end, pluh-ese! :rolleyes:

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

Nah, but I did laugh when the note looked like an oversized iPhone.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Hardly, they owe their creditors $400 million. Guess who's getting that money? :p

Proview will shortly cease to exist...... Apple just expedited their demise.

Bottom line is that Apple could have used that $60 million in other ways, like building a factory in the USA.

They still require another $340 Million to stop their bankruptcy...

In any case, Apple, has become quick to settle lawsuits (after Steve's death) and has opted for the easy, pay-my-way-out, instead of going-nuclear alternative.

Apple should have gone through with burying these opportunists and left them owing that $60 million.

SoGood

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Just glad it's over on a most boring subject matter. Move on everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.