Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ifoAppleStore posts a photo of Apple's concept for a redesigned Genius Bar for at least some of its retail stores, a move intended to increase capacity at the busy support location. Significantly, the change turns the entire Genius Bar by 90 degrees to provide stools for customers on both sides of the table.

genius_bar_redesign.jpg

The change also breaks down the barrier between customers and support staff, with Geniuses and customers apparently mingling on the same side of the table. As Apple has tweaked its support procedures so that Geniuses are assisting up to three customers at a time, the company can also more efficiently address customer needs with the new layout. In the example described by ifoAppleStore, the move allows the total number of stools to be increased from 7 to 12, although some of the newly-gained space will still be needed by Geniuses for their work with customers.
This new 90-degree Genius Bar turn solution would be particularly effective at narrow stores where there is limited room for seated customers. The improvement seems to come at the expense of the very popular kids area, with its round, black seats and iPads loaded with children's software. It's not clear if this design change will be rolled out to other stores or if it's simply being tested at this specific store.
As the report notes, the move would sacrifice the kids' tables typically found near the rear of Apple's narrow store designs, certainly a disadvantage for some customers. Apple earlier this year replaced the iMacs at its kids' tables with new iPads, increasing the number of devices available for use and moving to a more natural touch-based exploration concept.

Article Link: Apple Testing Redesigned Genius Bar to Increase Capacity

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Heh, maybe I'm reading too much into this but Apple's trademark simplicity seems to boil down to even the considerations of interior design. Simply rotating a table 90 degrees allows double the customer space. Genius.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
As Apple has tweaked its support procedures so that Geniuses are assisting up to three customers at a time,

except where systems are being restored from backup etc I don't see this as a good thing. Help 1 person to conclusion and then move onto the next.
I would be rather annoying if someone came over to help and then went off to carry on with another appointment.

mailhojo

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2001
Poor kids...

I knew this would happen sooner or later. Was just in the Brea Apple Store and the kid's table had been moved to the back near the back door. Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way. My wife said, "Aren't they interested in the next generation?" I guess, not at the expense of paying customers. If they think adding a few seats to the Genius Bar will make a big difference, they are just kidding themselves.

GeeEllBee

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
This is welcome. But two other observations:

1. If only they raised store clerk wages, genius or not.

2. If only they fixed the severe acoustical problems that often make shopping at Apple stores a health hazard, what with the mass hysteria.

:eek:

TheHareBear

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
I knew this would happen sooner or later. Was just in the Brea Apple Store and the kid's table had been moved to the back near the back door. Employees kept telling the kids to move because they were in the way. My wife said, "Aren't they interested in the next generation?" I guess, not at the expense of paying customers. If they think adding a few seats to the Genius Bar will make a big difference, they are just kidding themselves.

Definitely a bad idea to lose the kids' tables. I had 3 separate genius appointments recently where I had to have my 2 wee boys in tow (2 + 4), the iPads were all that kept me sane and stopped them running amock as my allotted times came and went and I was eventually seen.

(Turned out to be a faulty battery in an early 2011 17" MBP, fixed for free though outside the 12 months and they aren't covered by the 3 year Applecare.)

Andrew

BMNB1tch

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I was looking for a case the other day

and it looked like a refugee zone in the genius area

hot sweaty sad people all clutching their busted devices

hey fellow customers

do not put peanut butter in your optical drive :D

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
This kind of setup has already been put in place at the Birmingham Bulling (UK) store, my dad went into to swap his faulty iPhone the other week and it was setup like this.

Although, the desk hadn't actually been moved to the middle of the store so accessing the side of the bar previously reserved for geniuses & their laptops was a bit of a squeeze at times.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Considering I had to make a Genius Bar appointment to do a simple exchange for a defective iphone ear bud set, they would be better off letting some of the lower level blue shirts do simple exchanges to free up time and space for the 'Geniuses'.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Genius help up to three customers at a time now? Yikes, talk about busy.

except where systems are being restored from backup etc I don't see this as a good thing. Help 1 person to conclusion and then move onto the next.
I would be rather annoying if someone came over to help and then went off to carry on with another appointment.
FWIW, Geniuses in some stores have been "multi-tasking" (helping more than one customer at a time) since 2010. That part isn't new.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Well, that doesn't look much like a bar anymore.
Apart from that, fine if more customers are getting help with shorter waiting lines.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

1. They don't do restores from backups. That is your job to do at home

2. They already do multiple appointments at once at most stores cause you only get 15 minutes and they are allowed to hang out and chat while your computer is installing ****, etc

----------

Considering I had to make a Genius Bar appointment to do a simple exchange for a defective iphone ear bud set, they would be better off letting some of the lower level blue shirts do simple exchanges to free up time and space for the 'Geniuses'.

If you want something for free under your warranty they have to access the warranty verification systems, certify that it is defective and not damaged and process the swap. If that is too much for you then you are free to just buy another pair.

And they have two lines at the bar. One for computers, displays, routers and the like.and one for iPhones, iPods, iPads and the like.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
As an actual former "Genius" before the iPhone days, I worked on computers, you know, those devices that people use on desks :p

Any ways, we weren't nearly as busy then but most clients had PowerMac's or iMac's and the occasional PowerBook. We were trained and the clients were generally tech savvy. I know things have changed, and the "Geniuses" of today are a far cry from my days, but I could not imagine being told to juggle three customers at once. Instead of hiring more (which they can afford to do), they're reworking the bar to allow customers to "mingle" with the tech support? In most Apple stores, the back bar is crowded as is, adding more table space isn't going to solve that issue and frankly, given the [generally] spoiled temperament of some clients I wouldn't want to be "up close and personal". :)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Definitely a bad idea to lose the kids' tables. I had 3 separate genius appointments recently where I had to have my 2 wee boys in tow (2 + 4),

not to be snide but it isn't Apples job to entertain your kids. If they are too young to handle the wait they should be left at home with Mom, Granny, a babysitter or such

saejin

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
It's now become impossible to buy anything at an Apple Store without having to wait...for a very long time. I've been into my local Apple Store in Colorado Springs and each time I've had to wait on average 10-15 minutes even to buy a trackpad. I have to check in with the guy up front and then wait for someone to come over so I can pay for the item. The problem is I'm in line behind others who are asking tons of questions before buying their item. All I want to do is buy a trackpad.

I thought buying online and then picking up at the store would work faster. It didn't...I still had to wait in line until a tech was free to come over and process my purchase.

Next time I want an Apple accessory I'll just go to my local Best Buy. I like Apple better when they had a central checkout or just regular techs walking around who could process your payment. Now you need to check in with someone before anyone will help you.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Dealing with ~3 customers at a time? I worked at AASP and I've done that plus some on any given day in addition to handling multiple repairs in the tech room. Its strenuous and sometimes can be fun but other times its not (apple makes more profit in stores compared to a local business) so it was like play tech + salesman, we made a lot but not enough to really build a solid relationship with the customers IMO.

They should genius stations all through the store...

They've been toying with mobile genius for a while, actually in certain stores this has occurred.
Especially with their FRS position for mobile devices

Last edited:

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: kids' table, etc.

Honestly, all of this strikes me as Apple trying mightily to avoid the *real* solution to their problems; leasing out larger areas for their stores.

When the Apple stores first opened where I live, I was honestly shocked to see how small they were. I mean, our "primary" store is about the size I would think they would have kept their "secondary" store ... and the smaller of the two? Well, I believe they've already moved it once to a larger space, but it's still not big enough.

I mean, it's not like Apple has to be concerned about a lack of foot traffic or sufficient sales to justify their monthly rent. (This probably WAS a concern, back when Apple first got into retail and everyone said they were doomed to failure....)

If they've reached a point where they've got to change the Genius bar from a real bar metaphor (with the "bartender" on one side and customers on the other) AND eliminating a kids' area, just to accommodate everyone? It's time for a larger store!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Honestly, all of this strikes me as Apple trying mightily to avoid the *real* solution to their problems; leasing out larger areas for their stores.

Absolutely. And staffed with more employees. I now avoid going to an Apple store -- packed with people and you have to fight to get some attention, even if you just want to pay for something. That "gatekeeper" at the door is a good concept but, last time I dared enter the hallowed realms, the gatekeeper told me, three times, "I'll get someone to help you" but no one ever showed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.