Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

topimage.jpg

Leaks first appeared in May that Apple was planning to add web versions of the Reminders and Notes iOS apps to iCloud.com for access from desktop Macs and PCs.

The iCloud Beta portal has since been activated for developers enrolled the iOS 6 beta at beta.icloud.com. The site displays "Beta" tags on Calendar, Find My iPhone, Notes, and Reminders -- the last two being new additions to iCloud.

image2.jpg

The web version of Find My iPhone has been polished, with a battery status icon as one new feature. The add-on gives users with lost gadgets some indication of how long they have to find their device.

image3.jpg

Notes is a fairly faithful reproduction of the skeuomorphic notepad on the iPhone. Users can create, edit, and delete notes, with updates reflecting on iOS devices in near-real time.

The Calendar app doesn't have any immediately noticeable changes, other than the removal of Reminders to its own app:

image4.jpg

Apple says it is using iCloud to "increase customer delight". With more than 125 million iCloud users as of April, it's unsurprising that the company is focusing so much effort on the service -- both on iOS and the Web. The new iCloud web apps will be live for all users with the launch of iOS 6, expected this fall.

Thanks Jono!

Article Link: iCloud Beta Previews Web Versions of Notes and Reminders

BanterClaus

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
UK
Isn't it about time 'Find my iPhone' was renamed?

Seen as though it doesn't just 'find iPhones' anymore, a more fitting name could be 'Find my Device'.

It just seems a little confusing for new users who may not realise they should also track their iPad, iPod Touch or Mac through the same application.

timborama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
Now they just need to put back the Bookmarks app. Huge void not having that available.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007

Seen as though it doesn't just 'find iPhones' anymore, a more fitting name could be 'Find my Device'.

It just seems a little confusing for new users who may not realise they should also track their iPad, iPod Touch or Mac through the same application.

agreed, it doesn't make sense anymore keeping it at "Find my iPhone"

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Apple, please make your maps applications available via iCloud.com!

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009

Yep, the world is just full of problems and thank you for worrying about new users.

It doesn't quite explain what it is for and for an app we use 24/7 it should be made much clearer.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Why would anyone use Notepad instead of a piece of paper or lists? :confused: There are dedicated apps, like Grocery IQ, that are infinitely more usefull for that kind of stuff.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
So there is still no way of viewing/managing my photo stream on the web?

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Nice addition of battery meter on Find My iPhone.

Find My iPhone definitely feels beta. The accuracy is not as good as the current stable version and the textures are off. Not fully baked yet.

Will they be bringing their iOS maps to the web version of Find My iPhone?

jrtc27

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
England
The site also has notifications now as previously rumoured and leaked. Currently it's available for Find My iPhone and Calendar, and settings for it can be accessed by clicking on your name to view your profile.

jrtc27

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2010
England
Also try putting in a php script! The web version won't save it, but if you add it on a device and let it sync, the web version displays a spinning progress bar in the place of the title on the left.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont

Yes, and it should be available for all devices that connect to the internet. e.g., Macs, Airports, iPhones, iPodTouches, iPads, etc. Then Apple needs to get serious about helping stop thieves and stop the reselling and reactivation of stolen merchandise.

As to apps in the cloud, Apple and developers need to learn a lot about graceful fallbacks for when the cloud is not available and for when connection speeds are slow. We need to be able to do our work without a connection to the net.

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
Why would anyone use Notepad instead of a piece of paper or lists? :confused: There are dedicated apps, like Grocery IQ, that are infinitely more usefull for that kind of stuff.

Because they are already there. I have over 600 apps on my iPad with close too that on my iPhone & iPod Touch. I very seldom get past the 1st page of apps using Apple's weak app finder. I've gone as far as moving the Apple standard icons off of page 1 & moving them to the end of the list. I don't play games so the Game Center have been moved to the end. I do all of my App syncing through my Mac so the App icon has also been moved to the end. Now I need to move some more. This way may be good for 10 - 50 apps but that is about all. Give me my Mac file system.

My wife takes notes at church using the Notes app on our iPad. I've used it for making shopping lists. A 10 item list for us is very long & seldom done. I also use it for price comparison. Years ago before the Newton I used an HP99 with its built-in spreadsheet program. That worked the best for many things like what I do. All of this advancement in electronic devices & I still like the old pretouch better. But we do have to have our iToys.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is the visible stiching in the notepad cover that really lets me know I'm dealing with a piece of quality merchandise. A cheaper cover might use glue to seal the seams, but you know that will split eventually and then your cover will fall apart and your note pad and your reminder slips will be lose and could get exposed to rain or something. A nicely stiched leather notepad cover will keep them all together and organized.

I'm glad I stick with Apple because of their insistance on this level of quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.