Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Michael Jurewitz, a member of Apple's developer outreach team, announced today that he is leaving the company to join software developer and consultancy Black Pixel as a director and partner. Jurewitz, familiar to many developers as @jury on Twitter, provided developers with a conduit for feedback and communication with Apple.

Black-Pixel.png

Writing on his personal website, "Jury" reflected on his seven years at Apple.
For the past seven years I have worked in Apple's Worldwide Developer Relations team helping OS X and iOS developers build the best apps in the world. Working closely with many of you in the developer community has been the highlight of my career. I have loved every minute of helping to answer your technical questions, providing technical, business, or design guidance, planning and visiting with so many of you at WWDC, traveling around the world to share the Tech Talks with you, fielding bug reports, or just being someone at Apple for you to talk to. You have challenged me, helped me grow, amazed me, and inspired me. The iOS and OS X developer community is one of the best in the world. I am very lucky to have had the opportunity to work with all of you and I am excited to join your ranks.
Black Pixel's Daniel Pasco has more about what Jurewitz's role at the firm will be.

Article Link: Developer Evangelist Michael Jurewitz Leaving Apple for Black Pixel

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011
Wow. He will be missed in the dev forums.

And with all these people leaving somethings going on at One Infinite Loop.

Who is all? I can recall Johnson (pre-jobs departure), Mansfield, and now Jurewitz.

Let's get a list compiled for the past 18 months of key players leaving, curious.

EDIT: OS X Chief Bertrand Serlet as well.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
Who is all? I can recall Johnson (pre-jobs departure), Mansfield, and now Jurewitz.

Let's get a list compiled for the past 18 months of key players leaving, curious.

Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield and Corporate Controller and Principal Accounting Office Betsy Rafael.

Two more top brass.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Wow. He will be missed in the dev forums.

The end is nigh...?

Ah yes, you two are geniuses.

It makes sense that he's leaving his position at Apple (which is clearly ending as a company soon) to then work on software that only runs on hardware that Apple releases.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
My initial reaction was uh-oh. But technology tends to be a young person's game. For me personally, I've gone from a uber-hardware geek towards more web and application developing. It's good to try new things once and again. I still have faith in the little fruit company. It may not have that same old mom & pop feel to it but I love it. Probably until the day it is announced that OS X has been cancelled and Apple has bought an os from a mom & pop shop from Redmond, WA. I'll probably hit the lifeboats then. Now not so much.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Senior Vice President of Hardware Engineering Bob Mansfield and Corporate Controller and Principal Accounting Office Betsy Rafael.

Two more top brass.

Mansfield, probably more than anyone else there who's leaving, deserves to retire. He's done tremendous work for a long time. If I were him I'd go enjoy my life and leave on top as well.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

Two more top brass.

er, no - the post you were replying had *already* counted Mansfield. so that is not "two more".

dr-jerry

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2009
inventing on principle

Two more top brass.

I think Brett Victor's departure is also a sad one for apple. On the other hand I think that great minds are probably best of without the burden of a large company like Microsoft, Google or Apple.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
These looks like normal attrition to me. There were probably a few others who had left over time which we do not keep track of because they are not visible to us.

I am also keeping in the back of my head that a few top executives sold Apple stock in the 620-640 range. Again, we can not read too much into it. Just mentioning it here for capturing a few more data points.

tagy

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2003
UK
His talk about iOS performance at the iOS5 tech talk was great, shame he won't be at the iOS6 version.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Just so you all know, he was not a "top brass executive" as some of you think. He was simply an Apple evangelist for the developer side. He knew a lot of developers face-to-face and was at all the tech talks. Very nice guy.

He was not a profound decision maker within Apple and probably just got an offer he couldn't refuse.

E

fermat-au

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2009
Australia

(I acknowledge this post is not directly related to Jurewitz Leaving's departure.)
With the lost of Serlet, "Avie" Tevanian (2003) and sadly Jobs, I don't think any of the core NeXT team that came to Apple in 1997 remain. This is the team who created OSX from NeXT that made the Mac what it is today.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005

With all due respect to Jury, his stature at Apple was nowhere even remotely close to any of the executives who have recently left. His departure has the same significance as that of any other common Apple employee (i.e. very good at what he did...but ultimately replaceable).

With the lost of Serlet, "Avie" Tevanian (2003) and sadly Jobs, I don't think any of the core NeXT team that came to Apple in 1997 remain. This is the team who created OSX from NeXT that made the Mac what it is today.

Scott Forstall worked at NeXT and was one of the original OS X engineers, although he may not have held any particularly special position until after coming to Apple.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Living in the shadow of a genius

I try to not be an alamarist, but there's something going on.

I suppose there was a certain allure of working with the "man" who was Steve Jobs, even if it meant putting up with his obsessions. Now these same brilliant minds are working for the "company" that is Apple. In this environment, more basal motivations like wealth or prestige can become the motivation for enduring satisfaction. Many of the key personnel have acquired wealth from their hard work but may be seeking the recognition that comes from leaving their personal footprint on society. With personal fortunes and spectacular resumes, they are poised to pursue personal interests.

This is entirely supposition. And thankfully, there are still some who feel continuing the legacy of Apple is a supreme, worthwhile privilege.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
I try to not be an alamarist, but there's something going on.

How about the simplest explanation: all of these people had been working at Apple for quite a while and had recently become filthy rich thanks to Apple's skyrocketing stock price, therefore making it a perfect time to retire and/or try something new?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.