Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
No-one else with the AUO panel?

Anyone have a comparison with these ones?

One of the 11" on display at my local apple store was the AUO, and it definitely looked the most washed out of all the models. I instantly could tell a huge difference.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
One of the 11" on display at my local apple store was the AUO, and it definitely looked the most washed out of all the models. I instantly could tell a huge difference.

Thanks, that's slightly depressing, I'm definitely going to take mine to a store now and see the extent of this myself.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Thanks, that's slightly depressing, I'm definitely going to take mine to a store now and see the extent of this myself.

You notice it the most when reading text. Just go to these forums on one of the samsungs or even an lg with the color profile. The text on the AUO looked really blurry on the white background.

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
To bad I have the AUO 11". I remember seeing an Air at BestBuy back about a year ago (2010 model) and thinking the screen looked great. I figured maybe I just "thought" it was a bit better than it actually was, comparing to what I have now. Now I am starting to believe my memory is accurate and that it was simply a samsung.

I have played around with the calibration for a long time, and I have gotten it better, but considering my memory, I doubt as good as the samsung. I can tell just from the pictures that the samsung has a wider gamut. Too bad at the time I bought this that I didn't know Apple was doing this; I would have returned it rather than played around with it.

I'm wanting to call Apple now and piss off at them, though I highly doubt that would get me anywhere. :eek:

I don't care what anyone says, my opinion is that Apple shouldn't be allowing for such variance in a specific line up. If it was the air compared to the pro, I wouldn't be complaining. I may would even not complain if the 13" air had a slightly better display. But as it is, someone paying $1500 for a 13" may get a lower quality display than somebody that payed for a bottom end 11". That is screwy if you ask me.

Id say my respect for Apple has dropped.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
To bad I have the AUO 11". I remember seeing an Air at BestBuy back about a year ago (2010 model) and thinking the screen looked great. I figured maybe I just "thought" it was a bit better than it actually was, comparing to what I have now. Now I am starting to believe my memory is accurate and that it was simply a samsung.

I have played around with the calibration for a long time, and I have gotten it better, but considering my memory, I doubt as good as the samsung. I can tell just from the pictures that the samsung has a wider gamut. Too bad at the time I bought this that I didn't know Apple was doing this; I would have returned it rather than played around with it.

I'm wanting to call Apple now and piss off at them, though I highly doubt that would get me anywhere. :eek:

I don't care what anyone says, my opinion is that Apple shouldn't be allowing for such variance in a specific line up. If it was the air compared to the pro, I wouldn't be complaining. I may would even not complain if the 13" air had a slightly better display. But as it is, someone paying $1500 for a 13" may get a lower quality display than somebody that payed for a bottom end 11". That is screwy if you ask me.

Id say my respect for Apple has dropped.
Well I've decided to do a direct comparison when I bring mine to the store. I don't consider myself to be normally that fussy for minor variance but if the difference in quality really is a chasm then I'm going to ask for another, for the reasons you mention.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Well I've decided to do a direct comparison when I bring mine to the store. I don't consider myself to be normally that fussy for minor variance but if the difference in quality really is a chasm then I'm going to ask for another, for the reasons you mention.

In my store, side by side they had a samsung and the AUO and the difference was extreme.

JootecFromMars

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2012
Earth
A thought. Don't beat on me.

From reading a lot of the posts on this thread, it would appear that the problem could well be with the profile that OS X uses for the display rather than the display itself. It's calibrated for the Samsung.

Would it not be a good idea to pester Apple to provide profiles that are better suited to the LG or the AUO?

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
A thought. Don't beat on me.

From reading a lot of the posts on this thread, it would appear that the problem could well be with the profile that OS X uses for the display rather than the display itself. It's calibrated for the Samsung.

Would it not be a good idea to pester Apple to provide profiles that are better suited to the LG or the AUO?

I was wondering the same thing. Would the Samsung display look as bad as the LG display with a different profile? I bet it would. Likewise, the LG looks pretty good with the profile optimized for it.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I was wondering the same thing. Would the Samsung display look as bad as the LG display with a different profile? I bet it would. Likewise, the LG looks pretty good with the profile optimized for it.

i agree the LG looks much better than stock with a color profile, but still not as good as the samsung. That could be the difference between being professional calibrated though; However, I have owned both LG and Samsungs LCD's in the past and the samsungs always had a better picture with the same specs

Groovadelic

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Well, I received my 256GB 8GB Air from B&H and it has a LG screen. Before I even checked if it was LG, I knew right away I'd be wanting a better screen. I'm pretty sure my two year old Air had a better display.

Decided I'd return it for a retina Pro. Only problem, which is entirely my fault for not reading the return policy first is that now I can't return it to B&H since "the packaging has been opened"

Probably just have to sell it first, instead of returning...

Last edited:

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
I have an LG display with my 13" CTO model, and it doesn't seem horrible to my eyes.

Maybe there are different color profiles based on region? Sorry if that sounds foolish, I don't do any color-related work by trade.

alanman

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
Just got my 13" Air i5/8GB/128.

Got the samsung display and toshiba SSD. Really want to keep it for the samsung display luck but the trackpad sits really low at the bottom right compared to the bottom left so I will be returning this one for another.

Groovadelic

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2012
After playing with the profiles, the LG screen does look quite a bit better than stock, but I still won't be keeping it.
I know it's not comparing with another Apple product, but I just posted some pics of what we'll be coming from. (17" HP notebook with a DreamColor screen)
First picture is stock, and the second and third are using the profile found here - http://osxdaily.com/2011/10/30/how-...lay-in-a-macbook-air-and-make-it-look-better/

It was able to get somewhat close, but it's hard to go backwards in display quality. (Please excuse the poor pictures!)

I think I'll need to get a Apple store sometime to check out the Retina Pro in person. Which is what I "should" have done before actually purchasing the Air.

Attachments

• Stock_IMG_0368.JPG
    Stock_IMG_0368.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 173
  • Adjusted_IMG_0369.JPG
    Adjusted_IMG_0369.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0361_Adjusted 1.JPG
    IMG_0361_Adjusted 1.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 156

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
Anyone mind doing shots with this image?
http://midsouthcolor.com/Download Files/MSCL Calibration.jpg

It is good for checking calibration and color. I may try to get some shots of it later today on my AUO.

For the sake that it might help someone out, here is the same profile I uploaded before, but I modified it to deepen the darks (at three different levels.) Over all, it does make darker areas in images/videos harder to see, but it, for me, seems to make the display appear to have a larger contrast ratio. 1 (null) is the least amount of darkening, 3 is the most. I created these with on my AUO.

Attachments

• ThreeModifiedCalibrations.zip
    13.7 KB · Views: 672

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
When you guys talk about "calibrating", are you only fiddling with the display settings -> calibration (which is useless anyways) or REALLY calibrating your display with hardware calibrator ? :rolleyes:

You do know calibrating with only eyes is fools game?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I am confused. So which is the coveted screen now? In the 2011 model it was initially the Samsung panel, but then after a couple of weeks the tide turned and the LG owners started winning the battle when it was pronounced the most awesomest panel due to better display angles.

Of course, the mighty Samsung warriors felt foolish that they had spent the last couple of weeks celebrating, drinking and spending their rewards of the battle on loose women and replacing their laptops until they got a Samsung panel and Samsung SSD, instead of preparing for this surprise rear attack by the untrustworthy LG barbarians.

Can someone unequivocally tell me which panel is considered to be the most awesomest and bestest screen in the 2012 MBA?

johto

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Finland
Yes, people setting up a screen so it appears the way they like it is such a waste of time. :rolleyes:

If you dont know, let me tell you. Word "Calibration" doesnt have anything to do with "opinion" or "taste" or "like". Its a STANDARD. Its a set of rules and guidelines. Example, calibrated to 2.2 gamma and 6500K. You cannot calibrate a display for real just by using your eyes. Hardware calibrator calibrates the full grayscale ramp. If you dont know what im talking, please read up some!

You can start with this:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 :rolleyes:

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
If you dont know, let me tell you. Word "Calibration" doesnt have anything to do with "opinion" or "taste" or "like". Its a STANDARD. Its a set of rules and guidelines. Example, calibrated to 2.2 gamma and 6500K. You cannot calibrate a display for real just by using your eyes. Hardware calibrator calibrates the full grayscale ramp. If you dont know what im talking, please read up some!

You can start with this:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457 :rolleyes:

I know what calibrate means and it's irrelevant to this discussion.

alexeismertin

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2005
Bristol, UK
MBA 13" LG profile

Here are 3 profiles created using Apple's calibration wizard, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• MBA13 LG 2012.zip
    29.8 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
I'm getting my 13" 8GB/512GB/2.0 i7 next week. I wish I hadn't found this thread! I remember my macbook calibration was pretty bad when I first got it as well. Hopefully I'll have the samsung screen and not feel like I spent $2000 on a product which doesn't have the best screen.

Here is the decoder ring for those who don't to read through all 8 pages
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

if you get something that starts with LP you have an LG
if you get something that starts with LT you have a samsung
if you get something else you have the rare AUO

for the SSD just go to about this mac---more info---system report----serial ATA----the samsung SSD ends with SM### and the toshiba ends with TS###

Last edited:

Hichisky

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2010
When you guys talk about "calibrating", are you only fiddling with the display settings -> calibration (which is useless anyways) or REALLY calibrating your display with hardware calibrator ? :rolleyes:

You do know calibrating with only eyes is fools game?

No, not fiddling with the software calibrator, it is terrible. I use a spyder.

Cicatrix

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I am confused. So which is the coveted screen now? In the 2011 model it was initially the Samsung panel, but then after a couple of weeks the tide turned and the LG owners started winning the battle when it was pronounced the most awesomest panel due to better display angles.

Of course, the mighty Samsung warriors felt foolish that they had spent the last couple of weeks celebrating, drinking and spending their rewards of the battle on loose women and replacing their laptops until they got a Samsung panel and Samsung SSD, instead of preparing for this surprise rear attack by the untrustworthy LG barbarians.

Can someone unequivocally tell me which panel is considered to be the most awesomest and bestest screen in the 2012 MBA?

simple, lg is the awesomest, and samsung is the bestest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.