Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
28TH_SPAIN_EURO_1127479f.jpg

Little wonder all those Spaniards are looking so excited– with the European Championships over we can start to look forward to the 2012-13 season, which means that it's time for a new Football Thread!

Arriba!

tumblr_m6i3wn0zgJ1qhfgjbo2_500.jpg

Aw! Just look at Fernando's little face – he can't wait to start posting, bless him. :eek:

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
also other transfer news from germany:

Bayern seem to have dropped Nerlinger from his sports director position and managed to sign Matthias Sammer, now former sports director from the DFB (he happened to be the main architect of the now excellent german youth program & guidelines)

i suspect we will se plenty of clashes between the figureheads this season ...;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Well, that was a big year in football. Not such a great year for either Columbus or Liverpool.

I hope the Crew make the playoffs this season and actually do something. I also hope Brendan Rogers will cut the mustard at Liverpool. And finally, I hope that USA's World Cup qualifying campaign continues smooth and successful.

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
Well, that was a big year in football. Not such a great year for either Columbus or Liverpool.

I hope the Crew make the playoffs this season and actually do something. I also hope Brendan Rogers will cut the mustard at Liverpool. And finally, I hope that USA's World Cup qualifying campaign continues smooth and successful.

I'm glad to see another Crew supporter! My brother and I had season tickets when were at university. Loved it.

I'm looking forward to see if Newcastle can build on a great year last year. I'll admit, I was angry when Chris Houghton was sacked. He did such a great job getting us back up to the Prem. and seemed to be doing alright at the top flight. However, I have been greatly surprised by Alan Pardew. Hopefully he can keep it up, and keep the lads motivated. (And keep ahold of Demba Ba, how could they have a buyout clause of only £7m for him!?)

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
I am hoping Everton can start a little more quickly out of the gate this year instead of the normal "Sit at the bottom until January, then make a strong finish". A sigh of relief has been given with the Villa-Boas Tottenham appointment meaning Moyes is staying put for the time being. I dont expect any big signings this summer due to the debt crisis that looms over Everton. I expect a small pick up like the Jelavic signing in January.

As for the Chicago Fire if they keep playing like they have the past 3 games, watch out Eastern Conference. Off to watch Chicago and Houston now.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
And keep ahold of Demba Ba, how could they have a buyout clause of only £7m for him!?

Besides being a fantastic player, that's the red thread during his career. Followed him closely here in germany and boy, how i like his success at newcastle! Cissé, too!
Thought about getting payTv this season..not sure if for the german bundesliga or the international channel with premier league and the CL. When does the season start in the uk?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
When does the season start in the uk?
In England it starts a little later than usual due to the Euros/Olympics – the Premier League kicks off on the 18th of August, the Football League too although there is a single match being played in the Championship on the evening of the 17th.

However, for Football League Clubs the opening match of the season is their first round League Cup tie, the first of these start on the 11th of August.

Not long really! :)

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
And here's what those guys see (before & after) wearing those glasses

Slightly better than the beer goggles I normally wear!

Rather than D-day in Scotland (which the press would like you to believe so you buy their paper), today is just another incremental step along the path of implosion by Scottish football teams. This time next year New Rangers (as tasteful as New Coke and New Kids on the Block) will have been promoted to the 2nd and half the teams in the SPL and 1st will be in administration.

And you closed the previous thread before I could say well done to Spain!:)

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Rather than D-day in Scotland (which the press would like you to believe so you buy their paper), today is just another incremental step along the path of implosion by Scottish football teams. This time next year New Rangers (as tasteful as New Coke and New Kids on the Block) will have been promoted to the 2nd and half the teams in the SPL and 1st will be in administration.

Step 1: Rangers newco refused SPL entry.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
D'oh! There goes my master plan of forming a MacRumours XI and starting off the the Premiership :(

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Everton sign Steven Naismith formerly of Rangers to 4 year deal. Kenwright is wetting himself since he didnt have to pay a transfer fee on this one. Hopefully he can carry over well into the EPL like Jelavic did.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
This time next year New Rangers (as tasteful as New Coke and New Kids on the Block) will have been promoted to the 2nd and half the teams in the SPL and 1st will be in administration.

It sounds like teams might be too scared of a cascade of administrations to demote Rangers to Division 3, and they will instead get themselves into the First Division.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
And here's what those guys see (before & after) wearing those glasses
Glasses like those would make me a very happybunny
animal-smiley-051.gif

Football starts here for the Second division called the Jupiler League on the 5th August.
The Top division called the Eredivisie starts on the 10th August.

There is an International game against Belgium on the 15th Aug, and we still do not have a coach.
Games against Belgium are like England Vs Scotland to you.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Damn, beaten to it! :p

That's a bit of a shocker. I suppose it guarantees Podolski first team football!

olup

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2011
Former Bayern Munich defender Breno has been sentenced to three years and nine months behind bars for setting his rented house ablaze last September. He could be released a year earlier and deported to his native country Brazil.

----------

also other transfer news from germany:

Bayern seem to have dropped Nerlinger from his sports director position and managed to sign Matthias Sammer, now former sports director from the DFB (he happened to be the main architect of the now excellent german youth program & guidelines)

i suspect we will se plenty of clashes between the figureheads this season ...;)

FC Hollywood is back ! :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
No new Arsenal deal for Robin van Persie.

Looks like he might be off, I bet daneoni isn't going be happy.

Damn, beaten to it! :p

That's a bit of a shocker. I suppose it guarantees Podolski first team football!

Annoyed but ultimately not surprised. RVP was trying to fight against Wenger's 'philosophy' and a Board thats all kinds of useless. Something which past players have revealed to be impossible and something which RVP has likely realised.

I don't blame him, Clichy and Nasri switched sides and lifted the EPL title in their first season with arguably half the work-rate...that must've added salt to injury. Fabregas has also gone on to better things as well.

The blame lies squarely with the Board and Wenger. That's 3-4 world class players/2 captains we've lost or are losing in the space of 18 months. We've become a feeder club and aren't far off from mid-level obscurity as things currently stand. All thanks to their lack of ambition and 'philosophy'. Without RVP we would've finished 16th last season, but who cares, as long as Wenger keeps making them money, everything is super-duper. Screw the trophy cabinet that's been filling up with cobwebs for 7yrs.

All thats left now is the icing on the cake; which is for City or Chelsea to snap him up, and then win trophies with him next season...whilst we celebrate not getting relegated.

In Arsene (and Gazidis) We Trust :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.