Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Even with manual finder search function it is inevitable something will be left behind...

I wish there was an app that monitors when another app is being installed, to see what files are copied and created. That way it has a list of which an app can be deleted cleanly!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Even with manual finder search function it is inevitable something will be left behind...
Only if there are components that don't share the app's name and even then, looking for files that were installed at the same time can find many of those. It rarely happens that the manual search method fails to find everything.

Dock Status

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
We have done all this for you.

Wouldn't you just rather drag and drop and be done?

While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

2. Launch Finder (see image below) and search your entire hard drive for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)

3. You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac, which is preferred

4. Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.

5. Click the + button below the search term to add criteria

6. Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"

7. Click the "aren't included" and change to "are included"

8. Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.

9. Delete all files and folders related to the app.

10. Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.

11. A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Nov 28, 2010
located

Of course, for computer illiterates, drag and drop is simpler, but once you know how to do it completely, as those uninstall apps leave stuff behind, so why run it in the first place, if you want to do it completely, it is not that hard to do.
Btw, how to uninstall uninstall apps via drag and drop?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Dragging and dropping the .app in the Trash is sufficient for simply uninstalling the app. However, most apps leave files/folders behind, some of which result in icons remaining on the Menu Bar or components still launching at startup, etc., not to mention taking up drive space. Using the method in this thread will remove all associated files/folders, freeing up drive space and resolving any issues caused by app-related components remaining.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I don't have the patience for any of this. I never uninstall anything. Adobe makes such a mess of your OS, I find much more efficient to simply wait til the end if the day, run the OS X installer, format the drive, reinstall the OS, apps, and then restore user configs & content files from backup. I come in in the morning, and it's all done copying.

Nothing like a fresh new system running smooth. I probably do this once every 2-3 months.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I don't have the patience for any of this. I never uninstall anything. Adobe makes such a mess of your OS, I find much more efficient to simply wait til the end if the day, run the OS X installer, format the drive, reinstall the OS, apps, and then restore user configs & content files from backup. I come in in the morning, and it's all done copying.
Of course you know, the process you just described is far more tedious and time-consuming than the process described in this thread, which takes maybe a minute to perform.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Of course you know, the process you just described is far more tedious and time-consuming than the process described in this thread, which takes maybe a minute to perform.

It's not tedious at all. Most of it runs itself, takes only a few mouse clicks to copy files, leaves you with a perfect system that runs fast and clean as new.

After spending 3 hours talking with half a dozen people up the chain at Adobe trying to figure out why CS5 wouldn't install, manually removing a TON of artifacts from CS4 (not an uncommon occurrence by the sound of it), this was their solution. ...one I'm familiar with, as our windows-based CAD workstations require this as often, though for different reasons.

You want a stable install, install fresh.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's not tedious at all. Most of it runs itself, takes only a few mouse clicks to copy files, leaves you with a perfect system that runs fast and clean as new.
Of course you can use whatever method you prefer, but I've never had a need to reinstall my OS in 4 years of use, and it still runs as well as it did when I opened the box.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Of course you can use whatever method you prefer, but I've never had a need to reinstall my OS in 4 years of use, and it still runs as well as it did when I opened the box.

4 Years?! Hooohohoho no. For me that'd be like not bathing or changing my underwear for a month. My partner had a Mac Pro he hadn't formatted in 2 yrs and it was a huge noticeable difference...

I certainly admit to being a bit, oh, OCD about it, but fouuuuuur yeeeeeears... aaaaaaaach... I gotta go take a shower.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I use an app called AppTrapp. Haven't had any problems with it.
As has been stated several times in this thread, such apps are ineffective in completely removing all app-related files. Many times they leave behind much more than they delete.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not free but, i really like Mackeeper for that as well as many other cleaning features.
I highly recommend you uninstall it. Most of what it does is useless or can degrade performance. Like every other app-removal app, it does not do an effective job, leaving behind files/folders.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Not free but, i really like Mackeeper for that as well as many other cleaning features.

MacKeeper is a worthless piece of software, and its developers use very shady practices to promote it. I can't believe you actually paid for it.

As GGJStudios has stated a hundred times, none of the cleaner apps available do a thorough job, and some remove more than is necessary and cause problems. MacKeeper has an especially poor reputation.

terrymaz

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
SF Bay Area and Chicago Area
I highly recommend you uninstall it. Most of what it does is useless or can degrade performance. Like every other app-removal app, it does not do an effective job, leaving behind files/folders.

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

:eek: Interesting. I did not know this. I moved from a PC a few years ago. I have a 09 MBP and am waiting for my MBPR that should arrive in mid july. When i first tried it for the trial, it removed a ton, and lots of dup files. I figured what the hell and bought it. I have had no issues with my Mac but will have to look further into this. Thanks so much for the info. Terry

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

:eek: Interesting. I did not know this. I moved from a PC a few years ago. I have a 09 MBP and am waiting for my MBPR that should arrive in mid july. When i first tried it for the trial, it removed a ton, and lots of dup files. I figured what the hell and bought it. I have had no issues with my Mac but will have to look further into this. Thanks so much for the info. Terry

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
While this thread is a few months old, I'll add this for those who might find it in a search:

To manually remove an application and all associated files:
  1. Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.

1. GG
    What version of Finder is this? My Lion doesn't look like that.

Oldmanmac

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2012
Edmond, OK
That screen shot is from Leopard, as the post was from 2010. It should look similar in Lion. Are you having trouble finding something?

Yes, I want all of Firefox removed. I got a bunch of gobbledygook. Lion doesn't have that bottom line with stuff on it, from my current screen. It has Username, caches and something else.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes, I want all of Firefox removed. I got a bunch of gobbledygook. Lion doesn't have that bottom line with stuff on it, from my current screen.
Are you talking about the file path, where it shows user name > Library > Caches > com.skype.skype in my screen capture? If so, in Finder click View > Show Status Bar. Also, it only shows that path info if you click on one of the files in the search results, as the path is different for different files.

Adomian

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
The uninstallers should do the trick. In my experience, if you run the uninstaller for the main program it will remove Bridge and all of the other extras.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
The uninstallers should do the trick. In my experience, if you run the uninstaller for the main program it will remove Bridge and all of the other extras.
Apparently, you haven't read the thread before posting. As has already been stated, uninstallers don't do a thorough job of removing all app-related files. They sometimes leave behind more than they remove.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.