Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

galaxy_nexus_google_apps-150x287.jpg

Last week, Apple won a preliminary injunction banning U.S. sales of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, a high-profile Android phone that was the lead device for Android 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich" and given away to attendees at last week's Google I/O conference to show off the forthcoming Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean". The ban followed a similar injunction barring sales of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 that was issued a few days earlier.

Samsung immediately appealed both of the injunctions in hopes of continuing sales of the devices as the cases over Android software features proceed through full trials. But the judge overseeing both cases rejected Samsung's appeal in the Galaxy Tab 10.1 case over the weekend and today similarly declined the company's appeal in the Galaxy Nexus case. AllThingsD has more on the developments:
U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh ruled that there was not sufficient evidence to put the ban on hold while Samsung pursues an appeal.

"Although some consumers may be disappointed that they cannot purchase the Galaxy Nexus, the Galaxy Nexus, as Samsung itself has repeatedly insisted, is not Samsung's only smartphone product on the market," Koh wrote in the ruling.
Just minutes after the decision, AllThingsD also reported that Google and Samsung have developed a software workaround they believe will satisfactorily address the infringement issue being claimed by Apple, which involves a unified search function related to Siri's abilities.
First and foremost, Samsung and Google have a software patch that they believe avoids infringing the Apple patent that led to the injunction. That patch is expected to be pushed out imminently, Google said.
Google and Samsung are also continuing to pursue the matter on other fronts, persisting in their battle against Apple in the case while also seeking to have Apple's patent ruled invalid through reexamination by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

Article Link: Ban on Galaxy Nexus U.S. Sales Upheld, Software Patch to Circumvent Forthcoming

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Glad Apple won. Glad Google can write their own code work-around to satisfy the courts. Sounds like a win-win. Apple's competitors need to see that they can't rip the boys from Cupertino off, but it also shows that with a little elbow grease, they can get the results they need to be competitive.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
Glad Apple won. Glad Google can write their own code work-around to satisfy the courts. Sounds like a win-win. Apple's competitors need to see that they can't rip the boys from Cupertino off, but it also shows that with a little elbow grease, they can get the results they need to be competitive.

I think it is still a preliminary injunction. Google just want to put out a patch so they can continue to sell while the court case works itself out.

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Something isn't quite right here...

Attachments

• phoenix-thinking(a).gif
    phoenix-thinking(a).gif
    83.5 KB · Views: 9,694

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
So I wonder how it works when you win an injunction pending a full court battle but in the interim, your competitor patches their software to avoid infringement. I imagine the infringer has to petition the court to relax the injunction and if so, I would imagine that Apple gets their bond money back and then drops the case. It seems this would be resolved way before the actual case is fully decided.

If so, that is great for Apple. They get to protect their IP and not have to risk $96M bond to enforce the injunction. I know that when Samsung and Apple battled it out in Germany that Samsung had to propose multiple alternate designs for Galaxy Tab before the courts lifted the ban.

I think the #1 thing that Apple wants here is for their products to be distinctive in the market place -- that means enforcing the ease-of-use/user-experience patents they hold as well as their trade dress, trademarks, and design patents. Apple makes their money on having distinctive products so its no wonder they so vehemently defend their IP.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
i have an iPhone, 2 MacBooks, a cinema display, an iPad, an iPod Nano, and an iMac G4. I'm not in favor of this. This is bad for all consumers. Unless you are a huge shareholder or an executive at Apple, you shouldn't be in favor of this ban.

rudigern

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2010
Would like to see how they try and make the patent invalid. If it was a logical thing for anyone to do Google would be better placed than most companies to make it. Then once Apple did it, it only took what 9 months to make a direct competition to it? Sounds like a pretty valid patent to me.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
So I wonder how it works when you win an injunction pending a full court battle but in the interim, your competitor patches their software to avoid infringement. I imagine the infringer has to petition the court to relax the injunction and if so, I would imagine that Apple gets their bond money back and then drops the case. It seems this would be resolved way before the actual case is fully decided.

If so, that is great for Apple. They get to protect their IP and not have to risk $96M bond to enforce the injunction. I know that when Samsung and Apple battled it out in Germany that Samsung had to propose multiple alternate designs for Galaxy Tab before the courts lifted the ban.

I think the #1 thing that Apple wants here is for their products to be distinctive in the market place -- that means enforcing the ease-of-use/user-experience patents they hold as well as their trade dress, trademarks, and design patents. Apple makes their money on having distinctive products so its no wonder they so vehemently defend their IP.
I say they should still be out it for what turned out to be and invalid suit and if patent is invalid education increase it to double.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
Apple spent millions to make this happen. Google answers with a patch. :D

I'm sorry but I find this comical. :apple:

WindWaker

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
USA
whether you're an android fan or an apple fan, you can't help but be a little sad about how patents are being handled nowadays...

kdarling

macrumors P6
Would like to see how they try and make the patent invalid. If it was a logical thing for anyone to do Google would be better placed than most companies to make it.

Supposedly Google did do it on their own. They just apparently didn't apply for, or search for, a patent about something that must've seemed so obvious to them.

Then once Apple did it, it only took what 9 months to make a direct competition to it? Sounds like a pretty valid patent to me.

What took months, was for the courts to decide to grant a preliminary injunction before trial even started.

Making a workaround probably took just hours, if even that long. There just wasn't any need for it until the injunction.

So what is the patch?

I've read (but not confirmed) that the search box will now only go to the web instead of also searching local files.

So there would be no effective change for the overwhelming majority of users who just wanted to search the web in the first place. Heck, maybe it'll even be faster.

Hmm. Come to think of it, many of us have our contacts and email stored in the cloud as well. No need to search locally.

Last edited:

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
These legal battles are becoming so epic that some game developer should make an MMORPG featuring the Android Alliance vs the Apple Empire...or something.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I do not get all these ****ing lawsuits.

So they issue a possible workaround then they need not pay for previous infringement? In the similar case with HTC, HTC got around with kind of a fix and continue sell their devices. So what Apple got from all these lawsuits? Not a penny! Why Apple still continues these stupid lawsuits?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

I don't care when it was filed being able to patent something like a universal search is ridiculous. Googles implementation isn't even close to the same as apples. Even worse is the fact that this judge seriously believes that people are buying this phone instead of the iphone because of the search box. Samsung argued that it was not a major factor in customers decisions and therefore an injunction is completely unecessary and the so called infringement isn't negatively effecting apple and I agree. This whole ordeal is ridiculous and I seriously have lost a ton of respect for both apple and this Judge Koh lady.

billystlyes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2004
Can't wait until Google sues Apple for ripping off the pull down notification menu in iOS. It will be hard to work around that one. But you know what they say, what goes around comes around.

chocolate

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
What's it all about?

Lawyers in love. Opposing parties with limitless bankrolls. A system that feeds upon itself.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Am I reading this correctly? That this is all because of the search functionality? Does apple really think they'll lose sales because of that one feature?

I can't figure out how they were able to patent that. It's been part of most desktop operating systems for ages.

I hope the patent is nullified.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.