Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2ms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2002
I just lost my iPhone 4. I've been trying to call it but it goes straight to voicemail which makes me think that someone has picked it up and turned it off.

I just started with ATT for this phone. I've never had them before. I tried to call them and ask for advice but the directory system just wants to turn my phone off which I'm not so sure I want to do in case I want to try calling it some more in hopes of getting someone who would return it to me.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm freaking out.

X2D

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I just lost my iPhone 4. I've been trying to call it but it goes straight to voicemail which makes me think that someone has picked it up and turned it off.

I just started with ATT for this phone. I've never had them before. I tried to call them and ask for advice but the directory system just wants to turn my phone off which I'm not so sure I want to do in case I want to try calling it some more in hopes of getting someone who would return it to me.

Anyone have any advice for me? I'm freaking out.

Did you try checking here? https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/957222/ :D

ludawg23

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
Awful feeling...sorry man.

If it's already turned off, you can pretty much expect to never get it back.

How did you lose it?

Colella16

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2008
Ask everybody who you were near or could have been near if they have seen it. I lost my iPhone 4 today in a class I was taking and it was left on vibrate :eek:, luckily the secretary found it by a computer I was using and was holding it and felt it vibrate and came out and gave it too me after I basically interrupted the entire class to find it. But the moment I couldn't feel my iPhone in my pocket my heart sank, one of the worst feelings in the world. Anyways, as I said earlier, retrace your steps and ask anybody and everybody who you could have been near if they have seen it. Having AT&T shut it off wont do anything, keep calling and leave some voicemails that sound extremely sad and heartbroken.

geoffreyq

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2010
Los Angeles
So sorry man

Do you have MobileMe? If you do, you can use the FindMyiPhone feature. You can also call AT&T or Apple and ask them if they can track it

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
So sorry man

Do you have MobileMe? If you do, you can use the FindMyiPhone feature. You can also call AT&T or Apple and ask them if they can track it

Apple will do nothing for you. AT&T will do nothing but deactivate your SIM card.

Use them as a last resort.

horizonradar

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2010
Somerville, MA
Sorry to hear that man, that's terrible. I lost my 3GS a few weeks ago and the same thing happened. Rang a few times, then never again. I immediately suspended the line. I've been using a crappy Motorola for the time being, waiting for my iPhone 4 to arrive.

It really is the worst feeling in the world, I hope it works out for you in the end.

hancock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
lost mine too

I just lost my 32gb iPhone 4 too. It is the worst feeling, i know it is gone too since it was fully charged and went right to voicemail after calling it only an hour after i lost it. It must have fallen out of my pocket in a restaurant. I called them very soon after I left but they could not find it. Someone must have picked it up and turned it off:(... now im going to be down 700 dollars plus i wont have a phone for at least 3 weeks....*cry*

Thisiscrazy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2012

I traded a man for iPhone that's nit able to be used and it's AT&T I traded my archos What's it look like describe it

dsnows

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Virginia
Find my iphone helpful if turned on

Find my iPhone is helpful if it has been previously activated and the phone is on. If the phone has been turned off, it will not work. Don't know if you can remotely lock the phone if turned off. I don't think so.

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
Find my iPhone is helpful if it has been previously activated and the phone is on. If the phone has been turned off, it will not work. Don't know if you can remotely lock the phone if turned off. I don't think so.

I really wish apple that would have an option to prevent the phone from being turned off, if it is passcode locked. That way, I'll have time to track it, till the battery dies. Right now, all a thief has to do is to turn it off and Find My Phone is rendered useless.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I really wish apple that would have an option to prevent the phone from being turned off, if it is passcode locked. That way, I'll have time to track it, till the battery dies. Right now, all a thief has to do is to turn it off and Find My Phone is rendered useless.

There is a package on cydia for that.
But again all they have to do is pop out the sim and then you still wont be able to track it.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

I traded a man for iPhone that's nit able to be used and it's AT&T I traded my archos What's it look like describe it

You do realize he lost this phone 2 years ago right?

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I really feel for people who have lost or had their phone stolen as my iPhone 4 was pickpocketed from me last Tuesday.

After using findmyiphone I found it to be turned off. I sent a remote wipe and lockout command and contacted my network to imei block it and blacklist it. Also it was jail broken so most of my folders and settings were protected by the tweak app locker. Stupidly I didn't have the pass code turned on !

The other action I took was to change my passwords such as amazon and play.com etc.

I didn't have insurance either and it was on payg.

Luckily I had enough disposable income to purchase an iPhone 4s. Now the pass lock is on and my phone is no longer in a hip holster !

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
My fantastic 4S is sitting in 5 feet of heavy seagrass in 5 feet of water in the Gulf of Mexico. Probably still working as it's in a Lifeproof case. I went in after it but couldn't find it. Brace yourself for full price, unless you want to buy a used one (there is a store selling them right next to the Sprint store (Retech) for $100 less. I just went ahead and swallowed, and bought a new replacement. They refunded my Applecare+ and I'm not going to re-up after thinking about it for a while. I understand their problems in dealing with lost phones, but as a consumer, I think their policy of not replacing it for the deductible is a bad deal. But I was hammered pretty much for suggesting they should actually worry about their customers instead of worrying about who might use the phone elsewhere.

piecloud

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2011
There is a package on cydia for that.
But again all they have to do is pop out the sim and then you still wont be able to track it.

This is one area where CDMA has an advantage. You cannot simply pop out the sim to disable the network.

kettlecorn

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2011
Man, you find a lost phone it's not hard to call someone and just give it back. Some people suck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.