Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
So I have a g4 15 in pb. My airport card will do this no matter what brand of basestation I am using, being apple airport(at school), AT&T/Dlink/Linksys at home/other friends houses.

It doesnt ALWAYS happen but a good amount of the time i will put the powerbook to sleep by closing the lid and then come back to it later, open the lid, and the wireless network I was conencted to isnt available anymore. It doesnt show up in the list of choosable ones and it wont connect to it if i try to enter manually.
The ONLY way I have found to get my connection back is to reboot the router (a terribly inconvienient thing to do if I am at a friends house where the equipment isnt mine, or at school where you cant touch anything anyways).

Has anyone else experienced similar. It doesnt happen ALL the time, but man its annoying to go from one class to another, have the PB sleeping for like 10-15 mins, go back to my next class and open it up and it wont get online, even if i reboot the PB. Or even go put it to sleep, go to work, come back home, wake it up and have the same thing happen.

Apple has been no help, they even sent me a new airport card to try out. They claim to have never heard of this issue happening before , which I find hard to believe. Having a new airport card didnt help either. The machine was purchased last september so the original wasnt that old.
HELP!

Thanks
Zak

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Not sure I've had this exact thing happen before, but this might work. Do you have your Network Prefs under Airport to automatically join whatever network is available (by default join: automatic)? This may be too obvious.

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 7, 2004
yes. its set to join automatic, also it doesnt matter if i specify one or not, the same thing will happen regardless.
Its been BETTER since installing Tiger clean, but when i got it it was september, and it had 10.3.4 on it and all the way through all the versions of panther it did it too, and it seemed to have been worse on panther.

IDEAS?!

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
That sometimes happens to my desktop when trying to connect to my home wireless network, and i also have found that the only way to solve it is to reboot the router...Its likely a problem with OS X not the hardware...

ShadOW :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.