Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
My weather app doesn't work these days on my ipad, it crash just at the beginning, I have to download a iphone version. Maybe caused by this, I will try to re-install it.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Frankly Marco is coming off like an attention seeker more than anything else with his repeated hyperbole over things in the store. Guy needs a tin hat if he really thinks that Apple is trying to ruin apps by breaking the binaries so the poor developers have to deal with the fallout
I don't read this as attention seeking. Something is corrupting all these apps to the point that they become unusable, and it's affecting a lot of them. I'm glad someone is letting me know so I can avoid updates in the interim.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
During a US holiday when traffic on the servers goes up, and Apples system was giving warnings that some downloads might have issues.

I've had about 15 apps update in the last day or so, four from Marcos list. One had a warning and 20 minutes later I tried agin with no issues.

Frankly Marco is coming off like an attention seeker more than anything else with his repeated hyperbole over things in the store. Guy needs a tin hat if he really thinks that Apple is trying to ruin apps by breaking the binaries so the poor developers have to deal with the fallout

He is not implying that Apple is breaking things on purpose. He is just pointing out an issue with Apple's automated system so that Apple can take notice and fix it.

This is a big deal for developers as Apple has changed their search ranking algorithm to focus more on star ratings, which means 1 star reviews because of an App Store issue can cost people their primary income.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like the same thing I’ve seen in occasional isolated instances in the past; you really have to feel for developers who get bombarded with terrible reviews and then have no clear path to a solution! I know one developer had to release an unnecessary new version just to force the App Store to “refresh” what it was delivering—and that process/approval took some needless time.

(And even after its fixed, the “average rating for all versions” is bound to be skewed unfairly low.)

Luckily I check reviews before all updates of my most important apps, and saw the tidal wave of 1-star reviews in time to skip the two apps I use that are affected.

gshaviv

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Seems to be due to bad signing of apps in the store

Happened to me with my app too (Beat Vibe). I think it is due to an issue with the DRM (the app wasn't signed properly when uploaded to the store?). When I launch the app and look at the device console I see AppleFairplayTextCrypterSession::fairplayOpen() failed, error -42110 which suggests the DRM issue. Had to remove my app from sale so users will not be affected.

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2011
Only one app update today, already with a warning notice that it might be corrupted.
Did a backup of the old version first, then updated, nothing unusual. Worked just fine.

And hey, ***** happens, even at Apple.
Who honestly believes in that fairytale that they never make a mistake?

I have a strange feeling that this is just being pushed because of no other real news.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Would this affect OS updates too if the OS was purchased through the App Store?:confused:

Oh dear... that would be bad. VERY VERY BAD. :(

I'm sure apple will resolve this issue pretty quickly. Most likely they have a small team on it already - The App store is VERY central to their user experience, so I'm sure they are taking all the necessary actions to fix this.

----------

Is this a poem?

It looks like poetry to me,
but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
It's possible that splendid poet will respond,
but until then, all our conjectures will be unsound.

:cool:

macFabri

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2007
Japan
Simple RSS

Simple RSS app also having this problem with 1.1.3 update that just get into App Store !!

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
I hold off updating my apps for some reason. Only when I see a feature in an app will I take the plunge.

It drives my wife up a wall, because she hates seeing the that there are updates available.

i am with your wife on this one. I HAVE to update if I see one is available, if i dont, it drives me crazy :D

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
One has to wonder if this Apple problem and other recent instances of massive IT problems (like the RBS bank problem in the UK) are hacks that will lead to security breaches.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Delete App
Lose all your App Data
Download again

Sounds cool...
I know that there are way around losing your app data, however, Average Joe reads this and does it.
(Yes there is a warning about losing your data, but you know people be people...)

Once more I say: don't automatically delete App Data when deleting apps, it's ridonculous.

Glassed Silver:mac

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
How often does that happen though? And aren't updates still monitored by Apple like a new app would be? Or are companies that get approved apps allowed to update them without the consent of Apple?

Not sure of this particular issue, however i had many times messages from developers when i open an app, advising to not download the current update and wait for a next update.... due to issues with the current update.

Cancelled
Oct 19, 2011
Would this affect OS updates too if the OS was purchased through the App Store?:confused:
Oh dear... that would be bad. VERY VERY BAD. :(

Other than wasted traffic, I bet it wouldn't do any harm.

Lion is shipped as a DMG contained within an installer .app on the MAS.
DMG images have a file integrity verification feature which is also used in the installer, I guess - so it's pretty likely the installer will simply tell you it's corrupted and you should just download it again rather than blindly installing everything and shredding your working OS.

Once more I say: don't automatically delete App Data when deleting apps, it's ridonculous.

Not automatically and always, often you just want everything gone.
They should just make a choice popup like when you remove a Game Center-enabled game.

Glad that I'm able to save 100% of an app's data when deleting-redownloading thanks to Jailbreak & OpenSSH :)

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
I got a corrupt Lion installer just a week ago.

I just assumed it was my cable provider or something; but a week ago, I pulled the Lion installer down from the App Store and it was "corrupted".

Pulled it again one day later and all was well.

Nothing happened, BTW, with the corrupted installer. It just wouldn't run because its CRC failed.

ThemePro

macrumors demi-god
May 1, 2010
I've installed numerous app updates yesterday and today including Instapaper and others listed. No problems and while somebody at Apple needs to come out of the Ivory Tower and give a response, I think much of this turned hyperbolic, esp from the anti-Apple tech pundit world.

chickenwingfly

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks for the heads up!

I was getting nuts trying to update instapaper and always would get that 8324 error and google never showed anything about it hehehe.

hugo7

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2008
This

Luckily I check reviews before all updates of my most important apps, and saw the tidal wave of 1-star reviews in time to skip the two apps I use that are affected.

My App Store icon has a badge indicating 32 pending updates but I'm in no rush. I'd rather wait for reviews to appear on new updates before taking the plunge. Given that an app version can't be rolled back on the device (yes, I know it's possible using a mac/pc) and there is the potential of lost local data, it doesn't make sense to blindly upgrade.

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of a second test-bed device. I need my iPhone and some core essential apps to be working *always*.

dfinecy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Lets see...70 affected apps so far with 628931 apps available (via appshopper) that comes out to be about .01% of the total apps...i would say not a big deal...granted it should still be fixed, but it shouldn't be a big deal

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Just released 3 udpated today. Already 1 "Bracket Maker" is having problems crashing on start up. I will update as the others come in.

Edit

Looks like "Bracket Maker" is working on my developer device after the update. Iphone 4s with ios 5.1.1
I a friend who helps me with testing downloaded on his ios 6 device and is getting the crashes. This device is provisioned to test my apps and I have heard that can be a problem.

If anyone would like to help my narrow down devices or OS that are receiving the problem please let me know I will send you a free promo so you can test.

Randal.higgins@touchmint.com or send me a pm here for the promo code thanks…

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
App developers will unfortunately receive the brunt of this via bad reviews.
That's exactly the problem. Users who have an app fail to launch aren't likely to consider that Apple could be the one at fault. They'll blame the app or the vendor of the app, give it bad ratings, stop recommending it, or simply never use it again.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
I can not understand why everyone is fliping out.

No company and no system is perfect.

This has showen time and time again,

To be honest, It would bug me, but not piss me off.

Its more of a "Oh its not working oh okay."

Then I would wait a bit.
It will be fixed in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.