Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Wirelessly posted

Fizzoid,

RVP and Manchester United:

Agree it doesn't feel right; age, injury, and money. How would he fit - Rooney, 2 from Valencia + Nani + Young, Kagawa, Scholes, Carrick...? Don't see him joining a club to spend more time on the bench, and the midfield is where the eye of Ferguson should be focused.

takao,

Excited about Kagawa - poor Dortmund will have to make do with Reus. :)

Cheers,
OW

Fuzzy14

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Renfrew, Scotland
Many Rangers fans online seem to be voting for the 3rd Division out of spite, in the hopes that it will suck other SPL clubs into administration and destroy Scottish football in some sort of revenge move. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face...

Remember if you are reading Old Firm forums they aren't the most eloquent orators!

The Rangers fans have been receiving a lot of abuse for something which is not their making... there has been a queue of people waiting to put the boot in. Then the SPL teams say they don't want Rangers in the SPL (I'd say this move was motivated by spite more than "sporting integrity") then the same clubs suddenly realise that they can't survive without Rangers' money? They can't have it both ways, assault them then mug them.

I think moving Rangers to the 3rd is a great move for Scottish football, 10,000 paying away supporters to the likes of Stirling Albion and East Fife That's a lifeline. And the whole situation is rather embarassing, so although there may be elements of spite I think it's more to do with the only honerable way to remain a supporter of the club without the feeling that you don't owe anybody any favours.

What nobody has mentioned so far is why are Rangers applying for SFL3? Why not take the opportunity to move to the Blue Square!

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Remember if you are reading Old Firm forums they aren't the most eloquent orators!

The Rangers fans have been receiving a lot of abuse for something which is not their making... there has been a queue of people waiting to put the boot in. Then the SPL teams say they don't want Rangers in the SPL (I'd say this move was motivated by spite more than "sporting integrity") then the same clubs suddenly realise that they can't survive without Rangers' money? They can't have it both ways, assault them then mug them.

I think moving Rangers to the 3rd is a great move for Scottish football, 10,000 paying away supporters to the likes of Stirling Albion and East Fife That's a lifeline. And the whole situation is rather embarassing, so although there may be elements of spite I think it's more to do with the only honerable way to remain a supporter of the club without the feeling that you don't owe anybody any favours.

i hate it for the fans. and i hate that there is so much animosity in football, everywhere, but especially in this case.

my thoughts exactly! but it would be helpful if they were able to keep some stars in the roster. i'm sure they won't though. and really, how many of these smaller clubs will be able to accommodate/seat 10,000? i bet, without any extensive reasearch, that most lower divsion clubs can only accommodate/seat, on average, about 5,000 fans total.

that said, if their fans are as a devoted as i'm hoping they are, they will bring some big crowds with or without any marquee names.... i hope. :eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off

Yes, those forums are not the place for information or informed opions - but it does provide insight into the attitudes of the most vocal portions of Scottish football fandom. Let me hasten to add that all the SPL club forums I've lurked on have the same vicious prejudices - it's just that Rangers and Celtic are bigger and have a much bigger impact.

It's obvious to me that clubs are taking personal revenge on Rangers. And the financial mismanagement is not the fault of supporters. With that being said, I think a demotion is completely fair.

What nobody has mentioned so far is why are Rangers applying for SFL3? Why not take the opportunity to move to the Blue Square!

If I were a Scotsman, I'd not want to see one of the biggest teams leave for England. But, since I don't have a horse in this race, I'd be for it in the interest of curiosity.

In the worst case, there is always the chance that support would drop, money would not be forthcoming and Rangers would languish in the lower divisions for decades - or forever. It would also be much harder to qualify for the Champions League through the English football pyramid. Rangers would be directly competing with Man City, Chelsea, Man Utd., Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool etc.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i agree with the opinion that the 3rd scottish league is the best choice, if they can keep only a hand full of players and fill up with young great talents they might be back rather sooner than later, and would help many local clubs with additional attention

going into the english league would be simply a huge drain money wise from the beginning: the second english league together is perhaps one of the strongest 2. level leagues in the game (rivaled only by the 2. german bundesliga) so going through the different league could very well mean many extra rounds... only to end up as a mid table premier league team without international football ?

in scotland they could hope to reach the champions league within 5 years which is a massive amount of additional money

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
in scotland they could hope to reach the champions league within 5 years which is a massive amount of additional money

I agree. Working on the assumption that the Champions League is the ultimate goal of every club, Rangers will find it much easier to get into the Champions League if they stay in Scotland.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
If Rangers were to make the hypothetical move into the English leagues they'd certainly face some fearsome journeys. An away trip to Plymouth from Glasgow on a Tuesday night would soon sort the men from the boys.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
An away trip to Plymouth from Glasgow on a Tuesday night would soon sort the men from the boys.

Bhoys? I wouldn't think any Celtic fans would be coming down anyway. ;)

It would be a gruelling travel schedule though.

EDIT: 165 year-old ex-AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta has joined the Montreal Impact. interestingly he has not come on as a Designated Player so he must be under the salary cap. I wonder if he'll be on the bench when Columbus visit on Sunday...

Last edited:

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Looks like Mr Beckham has been having a few problems with his temper – has something happened recently to upset him or something? :confused:

He acts like this because MLS allows him to get away with this type of behavior and he knows he can do this because he's still a draw in the states. He kicks a ball at a ref and downed player gets a one game ban. MLS player Brek Shea kicks a ball at a ref and gets 3. Tell me MLS doesn't play to his favor and I'll call you a liar. So with this ban he wont play in Chicago Sunday, which will bring the total times Davey has played in Chicago to 1 game in 6 years that he's played in MLS. Sorry for the rant.

----------

Bhoys? I wouldn't think any Celtic fans would be coming down anyway. ;)

It would be a gruelling travel schedule though.

EDIT: 165 year-old ex-AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta has joined the Montreal Impact. interestingly he has not come on as a Designated Player so he must be under the salary cap. I wonder if he'll be on the bench when Columbus visit on Sunday...

Nests needs one last payday to pay for the coffin before hopping into the grave be kind. I honestly think this guys going to get torched on the back line and end up with a Lothar Matthaus type MLS career.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
He acts like this because MLS allows him to get away with this type of behavior and he knows he can do this because he's still a draw in the states. He kicks a ball at a ref and downed player gets a one game ban. MLS player Brek Shea kicks a ball at a ref and gets 3. Tell me MLS doesn't play to his favor and I'll call you a liar. So with this ban he wont play in Chicago Sunday, which will bring the total times Davey has played in Chicago to 1 game in 6 years that he's played in MLS. Sorry for the rant.

Still, he's only hurting his team and to be fair to Galaxy fans (and I rarely want to be fair to Galaxy fans ;)) they are increasingly calling him out when he screws up. He certainly picks up a lot of stupid cards for getting mouthy about calls.

Nests needs one last payday to pay for the coffin before hopping into the grave be kind. I honestly think this guys going to get torched on the back line and end up with a Lothar Matthaus type MLS career.

At this point I have no problem with world-famous old-timers coming here to play out the last years of their career. But this isn't a retirement league anymore. The pace and physicality of MLS os often on par with any league out there. I think Nesta is still good enough to pull his weight, as long as he takes it seriously. If he doesn't, Montreal will get rid of him. But he seems genuinely interested.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN

i don't blame Becks though. get up! yer not hurt! stop wasting time!

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Still, he's only hurting his team and to be fair to Galaxy fans (and I rarely want to be fair to Galaxy fans ;)) they are increasingly calling him out when he screws up. He certainly picks up a lot of stupid cards for getting mouthy about calls.

At this point I have no problem with world-famous old-timers coming here to play out the last years of their career. But this isn't a retirement league anymore. The pace and physicality of MLS os often on par with any league out there. I think Nesta is still good enough to pull his weight, as long as he takes it seriously. If he doesn't, Montreal will get rid of him. But he seems genuinely interested.

I agree on the Beckham half, although I will have to disagree with the Nesta part. This is a guy who ESPN has reported as saying ""the high pace of the Italian league, the Champions League and the Italian Cup means that I can't play all the time. And I'm not one to sit and wait on the bench." That alone throws up some flags for me.I hope im wrong though nothing would joy me more then to see MLS grow.

----------

i don't blame Becks though. get up! yer not hurt! stop wasting time!

I agree on the time wasting but to act like that simply because you can get away with it is uncalled for, trying to start fights after a game is uncalled for as well. By MLS to allow this hes going to keep going and soon its going to become a "Beckham being Beckham" stance that everyone is going to use as an excuse.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Most epic rant about the RVP saga i've come across. Hahaha

Ha! Absolutely brilliant. Despite being a life-long Reds fan, I do slightly sympathise with Arsenal supporters. It seems they find talent very, very young and then when they blossom, they head for the money (like Cashley Cole).

Anyway, I wish Rogers would start getting active in the transfer market. Lots to do with the team.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Anyway, I wish Rogers would start getting active in the transfer market. Lots to do with the team.

I think he's taken a look at everyone now, including returning loanees Cole and Aquilani, and has probably already drawn up a list of who stays, who goes and who he wants to bring in. I don't think a long list of signings is necessary, but just about everyone agrees that we have to buy some players this summer.

I think he really wanted Sigurdsson, but Liverpool declined to get into a bidding war with Spurs over him. I have a feeling there may not be any big moves, but we'll see.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I think he's taken a look at everyone now, including returning loanees Cole and Aquilani, and has probably already drawn up a list of who stays, who goes and who he wants to bring in. I don't think a long list of signings is necessary, but just about everyone agrees that we have to buy some players this summer.

I think he really wanted Sigurdsson, but Liverpool declined to get into a bidding war with Spurs over him. I have a feeling there may not be any big moves, but we'll see.

I suspect you're on the money, Lord. When we initially signed Cole, I was pretty content. We're a team who has always lacked quality on the wing and I genuinely thought he'd turn out good. I think he'll have until January to show some of his old, dribble-y self or he should be sold as he's passed it.

With regards to Aquilani, I think he could have a vital role next season assuming he's played. When Xabi left, we lost the one player who could actually pick a pass and nail it. Yes, Gerrard can do this but he has enough on his plate. I'm not expecting him to fill Xabi's boots (no one will; my favourite non-Brit Liverpool player, ever) but I think he's a class act.

But heck, as unlikely as it is, I'm hoping for some activity. We have a habit of selling players without actually replacing them and the one sale (other than Alonso :( ) who should have been replaced almost instantaneously was Mascherano. Though, with Lucas performing out of his skin for his limited time last season, it is debatable.

Seeing as I'm new around here; what's your opinion on Rogers being hired? And, of course, what are your expectations for next season?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
But heck, as unlikely as it is, I'm hoping for some activity. We have a habit of selling players without actually replacing them and the one sale (other than Alonso :( ) who should have been replaced almost instantaneously was Mascherano. Though, with Lucas performing out of his skin for his limited time last season, it is debatable.

Our back line is pretty solid, I wouldn't change much here. At keeper we have a world-class player and our backups are good enough for the moment.

We have a glut of players in central midfield
. Aquilani gets injured too much for my liking and I suspect his desire to play for Liverpool (he seems to prefer Italy), but his abilities are there to see. IF he is willing and IF he stays healthy he could be an important player for us next season. Henderson has been a bad buy on current evidence, though he is young. Adam was a big disappointment. Shelvey is a decent squad player. It's not a world-class roster but I think we can afford to keep things stable here, more because other areas are more urgently in need of reinforcement.

We have depth problems out wide and at holding midfield. Lucas has effectively replaced Mascherano but there is nobody to cover for him; that hurt us bigtime last season. Spearing is a decent squad player but he's not a Lucas replacement. Wide players: We've lost Kuyt, Downing has been a bust, Cole hasn't cut it so far, Henderson was uncomfortable on the wings, Maxi is old. However, Rogers favors a 4-3-3 system so wingers might not be in demand so much

We also have a clear problem up top. We need another striker, a real finisher. I gave up on Carroll last season but he's not leaving so I can only hope he turns things around. Not sure how Rogers will want to use him, but he's not a really flexible player so I think it's obvious - knockdowns and headers from crosses. It's kind of limiting, but as a plan B for the 60th minute it has some merit. Again, Rogers' 4-3-3 demands three attackers, so we will probably want to have 4 useable strikers on the books. This means keeping Bellamy and acquiring another striker, preferably one who can play in the middle. Bellamy and Suarez will be the wide forwards, Carroll the super sub.

Seeing as I'm new around here; what's your opinion on Rogers being hired? And, of course, what are your expectations for next season?

I'm always against the grain it seems - I defended Hodgson and was skeptical of Dalglish. In retrospect, I doubt Hodgson's approach the game would suit Liverpool in the long run - he's better off managing England. I think Liverpool fans gave him an unfairly rough time. But a lot of Liverpool fans saw Dalglish as the second coming, and I was never really on board with that. Dalglish was combative with the media, his signings were a mixed bag and we never found a consistent style of play under him.

Rogers is younger, and his preferred style is more in tune with the times. I am cautiously optimistic, but until we see him put out a side or at least buy some players we can only wait and hope. The 4-3-3 can be narrow though, which puts more pressure on Enrique and (gulp) Johnson. Will it work?

Last edited:

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Spearing is a decent squad player but he's not a Lucas replacement. Wide players: We've lost Kuyt, Downing has been a bust, Cole hasn't cut it, Maxi is old

We also have a clear problem up top. We need another striker, a real finisher. I gave up on Carroll last season but he's not leaving so I can only hope he turns things around. Not sure how Rogers will want to use him, but he's not a really flexible player so I think it's obvious - knockdowns and headers from crosses. It's kind of limiting, but as a plan B for the 60th minute it has some merit. I see Carroll as a super sub though, assuming we can get another good striker on the books. This also assumes that Bellamy leaves.

Spearing is a decent player for lower-level clubs, not Liverpool. I don't think I've watched a Liverpool game yet where I've said "Wow, Spearing was alright today". He's just not good enough in my opinion. Whereas Henderson, he's been very underwhelming this season but I'm unsure if it's another Lucas scenario. I remember the days when people were calling for Lucas' head and now he's a hero. So, not sure there.

Definitely think we could do with an expensive signing up-front or on the wing. After Downing being awful, Kuyt never getting a game and Carroll very unlucky (unlucky the word?), we just need a proven, good, expensive player. Liverpool just seem to be cursed in the market as Downing was proven, Kuyt good in just about every way and Carroll extremely expensive. Ha!

I'm always against the grain it seems - I defended Hodgson and was skeptical of Dalglish. In retrospect, I doubt Hodgson's approach the game would suit Liverpool in the long run - he's better off managing England. I think Liverpool fans gave him an unfairly rough time. But a lot of Liverpool fans saw Dalglish as the second coming, and I was never really on board with that. Dalglish was combative with the media, his signings were a mixed bag and we never found a consistent style of play under him.

I'll echo everything said about Hodgson.

It's pretty obvious everyone wanted Dalglish to do well but I think it just wasn't meant to be. He had massive expectations from the fans and, in my opinion, was prematurely sacked. But you can't argue with his Suarez signing. The prospect of Fernando leaving felt utterly decimating at first but Luis soon filled his boots! Cracking player.

Suppose we'll just have to wait. But at the minute I'm seeing Barca signing Jordi Alba for pennies, Arsenal getting the long-time Liverpool target Podolski, Javi Martinez linked to just about every team but us...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Suppose we'll just have to wait. But at the minute I'm seeing Barca signing Jordi Alba for pennies, Arsenal getting the long-time Liverpool target Podolski, Javi Martinez linked to just about every team but us...

We don't have the draw we used to when we were a real contender. That means we need to work that much harder to find and sign the necessary talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.