Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Hey, all, trying to make a video editing set up in my room and wonder if these AKG Q701s are right for video editing, movie watching, and daily music listening? Thanks for the help.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
Hey, all, trying to make a video editing set up in my room and wonder if these AKG Q701s are right for video editing, movie watching, and daily music listening? Thanks for the help.

they are great for everything, lacking in bass by some people's standards but imo there's enough, and most importantly of all it is clean bass.

BUT they are massive headphones so don't expect to carry them with you every day, but at home they are great

and an important thing to note before you buy them is they need breaking in, a couple of days worth, some people say as much as 200 hours, but you'll see a massive improvement if you just leave them going overnight, and after a few nights they'll be great

finally, they are FANTASTIC headphones, incredible build quality, quite comfortable and sound quality like you wouldn't believe, but you might want an external headphone amp (they will still be fantastic without one but so much better with one)

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
Don't forget a good DAC and amp. :)
DAC? Elaborate, please.

----------

also look into the AKG K702's they are exactly the same headphone but usually cheaper
I will be getting the K701, if anything, because that model has the lime green/black headset. Being that green is my favorite... those K701s are sexy!

----------

BUT they are massive headphones so don't expect to carry them with you every day, but at home they are great
When you say these are massive, how do they compare in size to the three hundred dollar studio Beats. Ive worn my friend's Beats while using my iPod and have no qualms with their size.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Studio beats are tiny. They're more like on-ears rather than over ears.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/breeannamendiola/5866629481/

That's a good representation of the 701 size.

A DAC stands for digital-analog converter. Basically anything that plays music has one, unless it was purely analog in the first place (for example, vinyl). It converts the digital data of a file to analog waveforms for music. Having a better one will always be a plus, as it provides a cleaner source for your music. An amp is more important though, and the 701s are notoriously hard to drive. You'd want a beefy amp for them.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
I see Amazon and B&H Photo have them for $240.
Just got the lime colored model ordered from Amazon this morning!

----------

Studio beats are tiny. They're more like on-ears rather than over ears.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/breeannamendiola/5866629481/

That's a good representation of the 701 size.

A DAC stands for digital-analog converter. Basically anything that plays music has one, unless it was purely analog in the first place (for example, vinyl). It converts the digital data of a file to analog waveforms for music. Having a better one will always be a plus, as it provides a cleaner source for your music. An amp is more important though, and the 701s are notoriously hard to drive. You'd want a beefy amp for them.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Any amps you could recommend that will be compatible with my Macbook 4.1 and my iPod/iPhone?

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
E17 is a good bet. Not only will you be able to line out from what I believe might be a less than optimal source in the old macbook, but it will provide adequate current for the 701s.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
E17 is a good bet. Not only will you be able to line out from what I believe might be a less than optimal source in the old macbook, but it will provide adequate current for the 701s.
I just saw the price of the E17, and after already spending $246 on the headphones, I think I will have to hold off a month or two. The headphones alone WILL function properly with my Macbook and iPod out of the box, right? Just not to the superior sound quality had I bought the amp as well, of course.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

They will work fine. The sound is "accurate" and that is what you want for mixing sound.

If you get the kind of head phones that are marketed to kids who like that "thump-thump type of exaggerated bass and use those for mixing then the bass will be very light on the mix. You want headphones that are "flat".

THat said why not the K240 type? they are $99 are designed for use in a studio. Their only problem is they leak sour in both direction so you'd want to use them in a quieter location and they don't work f you have an open mic

----------

I see Amazon and B&H Photo have them for $240.

Are the 701 type really 2.4 times better than the 240 type? Both are open back akg. The 240 has been used for decades. Half the music you hear has been mixed using them.

TheBeastman13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 5, 2012
They will work fine. The sound is "accurate" and that is what you want for mixing sound.

If you get the kind of head phones that are marketed to kids who like that "thump-thump type of exaggerated bass and use those for mixing then the bass will be very light on the mix. You want headphones that are "flat".

THat said why not the K240 type? they are $99 are designed for use in a studio. Their only problem is they leak sour in both direction so you'd want to use them in a quieter location and they don't work f you have an open mic

----------

Are the 701 type really 2.4 times better than the 240 type? Both are open back akg. The 240 has been used for decades. Half the music you hear has been mixed using them.
I am not going to lie, the Lime and Black color of the 701 model tickled my fancy as well as the headset being a prime product for what it does.

Destroysall

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2012
United States
I just saw the price of the E17, and after already spending $246 on the headphones, I think I will have to hold off a month or two. The headphones alone WILL function properly with my Macbook and iPod out of the box, right? Just not to the superior sound quality had I bought the amp as well, of course.

You know, the E10 is a cheaper option. Just it will not work on your iPod/iPhone as it is a desktop DAC/Amp only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.