Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Hi,

Before I waste my time going to apple stores, can someone tell me if they still do a one-time free replacement if you are polite and throw yourself on the genius' mercy?

Or is the $299 now an absolute policy.

I've seen a lot of conflicting posts and would appreciate any recent experiences.

Huge thanks!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Hi,

Before I waste my time going to apple stores, can someone tell me if they still do a one-time free replacement if you are polite and throw yourself on the genius' mercy?

Or is the $299 now an absolute policy.

I've seen a lot of conflicting posts and would appreciate any recent experiences.

Huge thanks!

Depends on how merciful Apple is that day. Take it in and see.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
They're not supposed to be practicing the one time only policy now that Apple Care + is available. That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen at stores from time to time. But it's not supposed to be happening. Can't hurt to take it in and see. You might get a genius willing to risk their job for you.

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Thanks all

Also, the iPad is less than 30 days old, so I guess they would let me buy apple care like the gentleman in Atlantic City. Do I understand that correctly/

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Also, the iPad is less than 30 days old, so I guess they would let me buy apple care like the gentleman in Atlantic City. Do I understand that correctly/

Less than 30 days old? As long as you are polite I'm sure they can cut you some slack on the price (if they charge you at all).

I feel for ya, a brand new $500+ device and getting a broken screen would make me jump off a cliff.

Get a case this time around if you can get yourself a new one from Apple. Leather provides a good cushion for accidental drops so I recommend getting one of those, there are some good deals on Amazon.

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
It was in a case

The incase snap case and the smart cover. Totally useless piece of garbage. Anyone know of a case that works?

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
The incase snap case and the smart cover. Totally useless piece of garbage. Anyone know of a case that works?

We've been using the incase book cover. It is a tad bit thick but my daughter is very rough with the iPad and when it drops, all is well! We've had the 1st generation for years and it was In perfect condition when we sold it. :) I recommend that case for anyone who is rough with their stuff. --- oh that rhymes! :D

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008

Unless you get an Otterbox any case wont really help with drop protection for the most part. I got the best buy accidental on my iPad 2 (was in an Incase as well) , dropped it and got it replaced with the New iPad. I use just the smart cover now because if it goes it goes and I'll get a brand new one.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I'm sorry to hear that happened to your iPad...... Even I wouldn't even want to imagine that happening to my iPad.

As for the case, I bought the Apple Smart Case. Yes, it's over priced, but I think the amount of protection it offers when compared to other smart covers or snap shield cases. Just FYI, your ipad screen won't crack (I've tried this myself) even if the iPad lays face flat on the table after being knocked on the table. The case adds additional thickness, however.

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

Did you happen to purchase it with a credit card? A lot of cc companies provide 90 days of accidental damage coverage along with extending the warranty by a year.

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
Update!!!

Unbelievable! I went to the apple store, was honest and polite and they gave me a new iPad for free! They said that since there was no impact mark the hairline crack could have been a defect! Awesome people! Fantastic company! Was always a huge fan of Apple, even I the dark nineties, but this takes the cake!

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Unbelievable! I went to the apple store, was honest and polite and they gave me a new iPad for free! They said that since there was no impact mark the hairline crack could have been a defect! Awesome people! Fantastic company! Was always a huge fan of Apple, even I the dark nineties, but this takes the cake!

Congratulations, now go buy AppleCare+, and a good case.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

You are so lucky. I am happy for you, but I must admit that it also makes me angry because where I live Apple is always very unwilling to repair or replace an iDevice (with a defect that's not caused by dropping it or something similar) within the warranty period.

Enjoy your replacement and be careful this time. ;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm not sure from reading you posts I can work out exactly how it broke/you broke it/something happened and it broke?

How did the glass on your iPad get cracked?

woland8816

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2007
It fell off the night stand

Had an in case back case and smart cover. At first I thought no damage, but then, I saw it: a hairline crack down the screen. All is well that ends well, but truth be told, I've dropped my original iPad half a dozen times, in the original case, and no damage whatsoever. The iPad 3 is definitely more fragile but infinitely nicer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.