Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Technically Personal reports on some interesting code found in iOS 6 suggesting that Apple's new mapping solution may be making its way to OS X in some form. The evidence, discovered by developer Cody Cooper, arrives by way of references to several older Intel graphics solutions for which map features such as shading are disabled.
In this XML file, there is a reference to a set of Intel based graphics chipsets for which certain features like Shading are disabled.

Cody says that older Intel chipsets are known to not support shading very well, and that's probably why Apple wants to disable that feature on these Macs or will be software rendered.
os_x_maps_intel_graphics.jpg

It is unclear exactly what form Apple's maps would take on the Mac and whether the references are simply for hooks into map-enabled apps on OS X or if there is some more significant mapping solution coming to the Mac.

Apple's new mapping system is a key feature of iOS 6, enabling Apple to break free of the Google Maps relationship it has relied upon since the iPhone's launch in 2007. Apple's maps, developed in partnership with TomTom and other providers, will include integration of Siri with turn-by-turn directions, "Flyover" 3D-view imagery, and integration with Yelp for local search information.

Update: As several readers have noted, with the files being inside the iPhone simulator package, it is possible that the references are merely addressing functionality of the simulator to allow developer to test their apps without an actual device.

Article Link: Evidence of Apple Maps for OS X Shows Up in iOS 6 Beta

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
Makes sense. I can imagine something in iCloud where I look up directions on my computer, and by the time I'm in my car Siri is all ready to take me where I want to go.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Makes sense. I can imagine something in iCloud where I look up directions on my computer, and by the time I'm in my car Siri is all ready to take me where I want to go.

Yeah that would be a good feature, however right now, just email yourself the address and click the link when you are on the iPhone. Very easy.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Hm, would be neat if I could enter directions into Maps on the computer, then get in the car and the directions are on my iPhone.

EDIT: Beat to it. Nuts.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
no guys; that's a first hint on a new intel/OSX based tablet running to compete with MS Surface ... of course it would need MAPS. I'm not yet giving up on this dream.

JaviSoto

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
This could very well be for the iOS simulator... Remember it's not an EMULATOR, so it runs everything for an i386 platform, and it uses the Mac graphic card...

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Wouldn't be surprised to see some native Maps app in 10.9, along with some Siri integration. You could ask, " How long would it take me to get to..." on your Mac.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Makes sense to me, if you're going to have a Maps app on the iPhone/iPad, why not have the app for the Mac, too? No reason to look at Google Maps on the PC and then on the iPhone, too.

The 'cross-platform bit' with iPhoto would be awesome, as well.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Umm, there's no big secret here folks:

Maps runs on OS X when it's running on the iOS Simulator.

Since it obviously uses 3D hardware pretty extensively, they're disabling/blacklisting some OpenGL features that don't work on the crappier desktop 3D chipsets.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
probably going to nicely integrate with Contacts, Find my iPhone/Mac, iPhoto... And why not a few nice weather or traffic widgets (btw Dashboard widgets could use a little facelift).
Or a Safari-wide maps API that recognizes adresses and offers you directions from home from a simple right-click, from the comfort of you desktop? That and a neat iCloud sync and I think we have a nice-to-have feature.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Would love to be able to get directions on my mac and push them to my iPhone before I hit the road. That would be a welcome feature.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
This could simply be for iOS Simulator use. You can now write helpers to maps, so you might need a way to test them in the simulator.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
This could very well be for the iOS simulator... Remember it's not an EMULATOR, so it runs everything for an i386 platform, and it uses the Mac graphic card...

I hope so. Its bad enough that they are putting this on iOS, let alone OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.