Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I have an ipod touch 4th gen on iOS 4.2. Apps crash constantly and the battery already goes down very fast. This device is not under warranty and is absoultely critical to my life so if something goes wrong or the update makes it worse than it already is I will be extremely angry. I am sure I use the device to its fullest capability already. With that being said should I update or not?

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I have an ipod touch 4th gen on iOS 4.2. Apps crash constantly and the battery already goes down very fast. This device is not under warranty and is absoultely critical to my life so if something goes wrong or the update makes it worse than it already is I will be extremely angry. I am sure I use the device to its fullest capability already. With that being said should I update or not?
I found that the various 4.x releases were not very good to my 4G 64GB iPod Touch. Battery life in particular was troublesome.

5.1.1 however is excellent from my vantage point.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Well I would update but apparently I can't download the latest itunes since iTunes does not want to download the update. Been reading up on this issue and the 10.6.3 update pretty much works for no one, so I will be waiting till the next iTunes version or until apple sorts this out. I don't want to cause problems with what works, so I will be waiting.

DannySmurf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
The update is good, but do a clean wipe, not an upgrade. Lots of performance problems on the touches with upgrades and iCloud backup restores. I was considering returning mine because the lag was SO bad (did a restore from iCloud as soon as I opened it - shipped with OS 5.1.1). After a clean restore, it's (almost) as fast as an iPhone.

PipoSnake

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
The update is good, but do a clean wipe, not an upgrade. Lots of performance problems on the touches with upgrades and iCloud backup restores. I was considering returning mine because the lag was SO bad (did a restore from iCloud as soon as I opened it - shipped with OS 5.1.1). After a clean restore, it's (almost) as fast as an iPhone.

did you perform a clean restore via iCloud or with your computer?

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I wouldn't, the effects of ios 5 on RAM is very noticeable, prepare for much more crashing than you have currently. 4.3.3 is by far the absolute most stable version.

However, if you really need a specific feature of ios 5, no sense in waiting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.