Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Sorry, thats what I meant.

I'm not knocking it, I think it's a great tweak.

Beef

Ah - got it. I thought you we're listing it under the "issues" category. Not questioning you, just trying to get a full understanding of the pros/cons. Thanks for clarifying!

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
I'm back to SwipeShiftCaret after having to restore my phone. Seems to have improved. Gonna stick with it.

I've been using swipeshiftcaret since it first came out. Easily one of my must have tweaks. But I recently went back to using safari as my main browser instead of dolphin because zephyr and dolphin don't work so well together.

Anyways, my question to you is, do you happen to use Fullscreen For Safari? I use Fullscreen Safari but it renders swipeshiftcaret useless because of Fullscreen's built in "pull to" actions. The "pull to" actions take precedence over swipeshiftcaret. I was just wondering if you or anyone else experienced this and if you figured out a solution. Even when in a text field, if I try to swipe across the text input field, it just pulls the entire browser in whatever direction I'm swiping. Anyone else experience this?

Maybe I should just contact the dev and see if he can figure out a solution.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Ah - got it. I thought you we're listing it under the "issues" category. Not questioning you, just trying to get a full understanding of the pros/cons. Thanks for clarifying!

After having a play with this, I stand corrected, it still underlines in red if i manually input something spelt incorrectly.

Happy with my purchase.

Beef

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I've been using swipeshiftcaret since it first came out. Easily one of my must have tweaks. But I recently went back to using safari as my main browser instead of dolphin because zephyr and dolphin don't work so well together.

Anyways, my question to you is, do you happen to use Fullscreen For Safari? I use Fullscreen Safari but it renders swipeshiftcaret useless because of Fullscreen's built in "pull to" actions. The "pull to" actions take precedence over swipeshiftcaret. I was just wondering if you or anyone else experienced this and if you figured out a solution. Even when in a text field, if I try to swipe across the text input field, it just pulls the entire browser in whatever direction I'm swiping. Anyone else experience this?

Maybe I should just contact the dev and see if he can figure out a solution.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

No sorry I don't use Fullscreen Safari. You're right, contacting the dev is the best thing to do.

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Yeah $5 seems a bit steep. Is there a free trial? With autocorrect disabled it aint looking good.

Does anyone know if it works with whatsapp?

yes it works in whatsapp...not sure of the quick reply for whatsapp but i reckon it would too...

man i really love this tweak! I think this, together with bitesms, removes any need to buy a new phone!!!! And before today I was thinking of switching to a bigger screen S3...:eek:

swoosh0217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
NW
yes it works in whatsapp...not sure of the quick reply for whatsapp but i reckon it would too...

man i really love this tweak! I think this, together with bitesms, removes any need to buy a new phone!!!! And before today I was thinking of switching to a bigger screen S3...:eek:

S3 is ridiculously big in size. IMHO, girls like big phones but for guys having that S3 screen is just not working for me...

I hope the next update will fix the words being cut off when they are on top row in landscape mode..

Untitled.png

Last edited:

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
S3 is ridiculously big in size. IMHO, girls like big phones but for guys having that S3 screen is just not working for me...

I hope the next update will fix the words being cut off when they are on top row in landscape mode..

true that the phone is huge, but after playing with my gf's S3, it is very hard to go back to the smaller screen of the iphone....

however I am, and surely many others who are so accustomed to the jailbroken features of the iphone, including the great octopus keyboard tweak, that switching is a difficult decision!

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Okay, i take my previous post - not a fan of this thing. It disables auto-correct which includes apostrophes. Really annoying. I've also had it accidentally put in a word when I only meant to tap the key. No thanks.

Beefburga

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2009
Okay, i take my previous post - not a fan of this thing. It disables auto-correct which includes apostrophes. Really annoying. I've also had it accidentally put in a word when I only meant to tap the key. No thanks.

I agree with the auto-correct but the appstrophes work fine.

When typing the word with the apostrophe in, touch the 123 key when you get to the apostrophe, it should complete the rest.

Still loving this tweak.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I agree with the auto-correct but the appstrophes work fine.

When typing the word with the apostrophe in, touch the 123 key when you get to the apostrophe, it should complete the rest.

Still loving this tweak.

That's an extra step in comparison to iOS native auto-correct. I paid and tried out the tweak. Ported over my learned words, etc. Found it to be unintuitive and much slower, even after a few days. The apostrophe's are auto-corrected in iOS native, the developer should include this "feature". Needs a lot of work in my opinion (plus it crashed long texts numerous times, uninstalled it and everything is kosher again).

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
This is only great for one hand texting. Otherwise, you can type faster with two hands.

HickDead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2011
This is only great for one hand texting. Otherwise, you can type faster with two hands.

Who in the hell types with BOTH hands on a iPhone keyboard?

Damn skinny fingers. :D

I'm trying to get used to Octopus Keyboard. Definitely takes some time. Nowhere near as fast as Skype (on Android - iSwipe on Cydia sucks donkey nutters). Also not happy with disabling auto correct; hopefully the dev can fix this in a future update release.

kokhean

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2010
Who in the hell types with BOTH hands on a iPhone keyboard?

Damn skinny fingers. :D

I'm trying to get used to Octopus Keyboard. Definitely takes some time. Nowhere near as fast as Skype (on Android - iSwipe on Cydia sucks donkey nutters). Also not happy with disabling auto correct; hopefully the dev can fix this in a future update release.

Because it's faster to type using two thumbs. Of course, I can choose to use just one hand, but why limit the speed?

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
add back auto-correct and this thing is a gem! I had to uninstall swipeselection but that swipeshiftcaret replaces it nicely.

Houser81

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
The removal of autocorrect was a tough sell, but I decided to try Octopus out anyways, thinking if I didn't like it I could simply remove it. I realized I did not want to go without auto correct, but after uninstalling Octopis, my autocorrect still isn't working. NOT COOL! Anybody have any ideas how I could get it back?

I already resprung/rebooted, and even tried taking out swipeselection again, but it's still not working. ********!

jfclazzi

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Does this just predict a word or does it predict the next work based on your sentence structure habit?

One of the things I missed from android was SwiftKey. It learned from my texts and it would predict the next word for me based on how I wrote. It came to a point where I would just tap to select words when I reply to texts and I would hardly have to type out a word myself.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
While autocorrect does not work, custom keyboard shortcuts do work. That means specified phrases can be inserted with user defined characters while using Octopus keyboard.

jt999

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
The removal of autocorrect was a tough sell, but I decided to try Octopus out anyways, thinking if I didn't like it I could simply remove it. I realized I did not want to go without auto correct, but after uninstalling Octopis, my autocorrect still isn't working. NOT COOL! Anybody have any ideas how I could get it back?

I already resprung/rebooted, and even tried taking out swipeselection again, but it's still not working. ********!

Try going to Settings>General>Keyboard; perhaps Auto-Correction is turned off.
I think the installation of Octopus Keyboard turns it off.

Although if you turn it back on; autocorrect does not co-exist with Octopus.

Last edited:

Painterface

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2012
It looks intriguing . Does it work with color keyboard?

And it does work with ikeywi and bitesms quick compose an reply?

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
I was very excited when I saw this tweak. I paid the 5 bucks and used it for an hour.
Typing is very slow and extremly annoying to use.
You cant just occassionally use it as I thought, as it turns off auto correction.
So typing is actually forced to swipe for each word.
Too slow...
ill revisit if they can keep auto correction on.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I was very excited when I saw this tweak. I paid the 5 bucks and used it for an hour.
Typing is very slow and extremly annoying to use.
You cant just occassionally use it as I thought, as it turns off auto correction.
So typing is actually forced to swipe for each word.
Too slow...
ill revisit if they can keep auto correction on.

that sucks. Was thinking of buying today.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.