Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage2.png

TED, the popular technology conference, has launched a new iOS app containing short eBooks written by TED speakers, with some including video and audio -- including TED talks -- embedded directly into the books.
TED Books are short original electronic books produced every two weeks by TED Conferences. Like the best TEDTalks, they're personal and provocative, and designed to spread great ideas. TED Books are typically under 20,000 words -- long enough to unleash a powerful narrative, but short enough to be read in a single sitting.

The success of TED Talks has demonstrated that millions of people around the world are hungry to absorb new thoughts and perspectives. With more demands than ever on people's time, we think many will welcome the chance to absorb a TED Book when a spare hour becomes available.

The TED Books app allows us to embed audio, video, and social features into each book, broadening the depth and detail of each work. These additional multimedia features suit the wide-ranging creative palette of our contributors, many of who use photography, audio, and video in addition to the printed word to fully express their ideas.
PaidContent notes that the books will cost $2.99 each, or readers can subscribe to TED Books for $14.99 for 3 months worth of books. Additionally, those who sign up in the first 90 days receive access to all the books in the back catalog.

TED Books is available for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: TED Launches iOS E-Bookstore With Subscriptions and Embedded Video

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
First I thought (sarcastically): "Great! Another book store app!" and then I read the article. I guess that is worth looking into. I guess I will buy one and see if it interest me more that Car and Driver. Kinda grew old on me and this replacement would not be breaking the budget.

Just one question: Will it be in the News Stand? Would make sense to me...

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
It looks to me like it will be a stand-alone app and not in Newsstand... at least yet.

Well, okay then - another App in one of the countless folders. I think Apple should set more strict guidelines about that. The NG and CAD are both monthly magazines and are in there. I understand that these are books, but now I will have the iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Knor, and countless stand-alone book apps (ICD 9, Bible, etc) still filling the real estate. This should either be in something like a Bookshelf App or you should be able to assign apps like this to the Newsstand. A good idea would be to rename the Newsstand to Library and have the "News" on the front and make it swipable to the book apps as a page to the right. But sadly, I don't have a say-so.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, okay then - another App in one of the countless folders. I think Apple should set more strict guidelines about that. The NG and CAD are both monthly magazines and are in there. I understand that these are books, but now I will have the iBooks, Kindle, Nook, Knor, and countless stand-alone book apps (ICD 9, Bible, etc) still filling the real estate. This should either be in something like a Bookshelf App or you should be able to assign apps like this to the Newsstand. A good idea would be to rename the Newsstand to Library and have the "News" on the front and make it swipable to the book apps as a page to the right. But sadly, I don't have a say-so.

Newstand is little more than a glorified folder, so at the moment, to have a “Bookshelf” that works the same, you just have put all those book apps into a folder together.

But I like your idea of expanding what goes in Newsstand, to have ONE “special folder" for all “stuff you read.” I actually have nothing in my Newsstand, but I do have eBook apps and standalone books-as-apps. Wish I could stick them in there!

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
No Internet Connection?

I downloaded the app to my wifi-only 3rd gen iPad. It took about 5 seconds. I immediately launch the app. The opening TED screen appears and within 2-3 seconds, it slides off-screen to the left where I'm greeted by a greynscreen with a pop up indicating there is "no internet connection," that a connection is required when the app first launches & that I should try again when a connection is available. I select OK, the pop up disappears & near-instantly reappears. Caught in this annoyng repeating loop, I'm forced to close the app by showing my dock to touch & hold the app's icon (wiggle wiggle) to close the app.
Again, I just downloaded the app. Via wifi. Full bars.
I'm writing & submitting this post, on my iPad.
I deleted & re-downloaded the app. Several times. Same result.
I completely shut off iPad, turn wifi OFF/ON, same result.

Thoughts?

Taife32

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I downloaded the app to my wifi-only 3rd gen iPad. It took about 5 seconds. I immediately launch the app. The opening TED screen appears and within 2-3 seconds, it slides off-screen to the left where I'm greeted by a greynscreen with a pop up indicating there is "no internet connection," that a connection is required when the app first launches & that I should try again when a connection is available. I select OK, the pop up disappears & near-instantly reappears. Caught in this annoyng repeating loop, I'm forced to close the app by showing my dock to touch & hold the app's icon (wiggle wiggle) to close the app.

Thoughts?

I have great wifi that was on when I downloaded the app. When it suddenly claimed "no Internet connection" I switched to 3G which also shows 4 out of 5 bars and still the same irritating false message. Even after uninstalling and re-installing the app.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Thoughts?

I had this too. Couldn't get further than the "no internet connection" pop-ups. But when, by chance, I moved the iPad across the room from my wireless base (and iMac), the TED stuff starts downloading. Doesn't seem to make much sense...

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Update: No Internet Connection

For whatever reason, I am now able to successfully launch the app on both 3rd gen iPad and iPhone 4S. Maybe TED's servers took a larger than manageable hit yesterday?

Why do I like the white bookshelf so much more than the dated, crappy college dorm wooden treatment in iBooks? Maybe its that I'm finding skeuomorphism doesn't always work. The white books shelves feel more relevant. Like what I would expect on such a future device as an iPad.

Anyway... TED Books now works. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.