Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

epeat-150x83.jpg

Following last week's news that Apple had pulled all 39 of its qualifying Macs from the Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) registry, it was suggested that Apple would lose business with federal, state, and local governments in the United States. Many agencies require that most or all computer purchases be limited to products listed on the EPEAT registry.

As noted by The Wall Street Journal's CIO Journal, the city of San Francisco has become one of the first such entities to confirm that it will be barring most purchases of Apple computers.
Officials with the San Francisco Department of Environment told CIO Journal on Monday they would send out letters over the next two weeks,informing all 50 of the city's agencies that Apple laptops and desktops "will no longer qualify" for purchase with city funds. [...]

"We are disappointed that Apple chose to withdraw from EPEAT," said Melanie Nutter, director of San Francisco's Department of Environment, "and we hope that the city saying it will not buy Apple products will make Apple reconsider its participation."
City agencies will still be able to ask for waivers of the policy, but San Francisco's chief information officer Jon Walton calls that process a "long" and "onerous" one that will make it "very problematic to procure Apple products."

The report notes that the impact of San Francisco's decision on Apple's bottom line will be negligible given that only about 1-2% of the city's computers are Macs, representing 500-700 machines. The most recent city data available from 2010 listed purchases totaling roughly $45,000 in Macs and iPads, and iPad purchases would continue to be allowed given the absence of any EPEAT registry for tablets.

Still, with many other governmental agencies potentially making similar purchasing decisions related to Apple's withdrawal from the EPEAT registry and a possible filtering-down effect that could see other businesses adopting similar stances, Apple could face challenges in increasing its share of the PC market among enterprise and government clients.

Article Link: San Francisco to Block Most Municipal Mac Purchases Following Apple's EPEAT Withdrawal

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
Actually Apple could use this for marketing

San Fran won't buy our gear.

This would make them more popular in 40+ states....

Rivix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2005
I'm glad. The only 'design conflicts' Apple wants to implement are ones that frustrate the consumers.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Well, for most Office work, Windows PCs still fare well enough at much lower prices than Macs (yeah, I'm a Mac enthusiast but also a taxpayer). So I don't mind governmental agencies not buying Macs.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Apple could face challenges in increasing its share of the PC market among enterprise and government clients.

Given that its very clear that Apple no longer wish to be in the desktop/laptop market I dont see this as a problem for them. All they care about now is iOS and the AppStore. Everything else is secondary.

As far as Apple is concerned, they are only maintaining OS X to allow for development of iOS apps.

Edit Guessing the downvotes are from people who dont want to believe that this is happening. Open your damn eyes... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Absolutely correct decision - if San Francisco ships all its unusable equipment to third world countries for recycling, where the EPEAT rules are required to safeguard the health of workers with no decent tools. On the other hand, they could return all unusable Apple equipment to Apple, and they are guaranteed that everything will be recycled properly.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
This just sounds like sour grapes on San Francisco's side. You have a small panel of people who feel like some kind of power has been taken away from them. Reminds me of my local city council.

GS17

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2009
Good luck to the IT staff... they will need it. Switching to a completely different hardware and software platform will be painful.

Didn't you read that only 1-2% of SF computers are Apple, your comment makes no sense

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
This just sounds like sour grapes on San Francisco's side. You have a small panel of people who feel like some kind of power has been taken away from them. Reminds me of my local city council.

Sour grapes? They have some rules they have to follow. If a product doesn't qualify them they can't be bought.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
Given how sensitive a topic the environment is nowadays, Apple no doubt has valid reasons, but withdrawing support for EPEAT without some type of public PR answer is only going to lead to the story quickly developing a negative spin. If they don't like EPEAT because it limits design flexibility, but they remain committed to the environment, they could try to demonstrate that their products offer comparable or better environmental benefits to the EPEAT program even if they don't follow the EPEAT standards by the letter.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Given that its very clear that Apple no longer wish to be in the desktop/laptop market I dont see this as a problem for them. All they care about now is iOS and the AppStore. Everything else is secondary.

As far as Apple is concerned, they are only maintaining OS X to allow for development of iOS apps.

If this we're the case, then why wouldn't Apple come out with a version of Xcode that runs on Windows to begin migrating away from the Mac altogether? Sorry, it just doesn't hold water...

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
EPEAT, Carbon credits, same bull poop.

If you want to help the environment, pollute less. Carbon credit are like the modern equivalent of indulgences that were sold by the catholic church. Planting trees is a good thing to curb deforestation but don't think of it as a way of covering your environmental "sins".

EPEAT is just another meaningless certification with arbitrary conditions. What they should really look at is what the actual recyclability of a product is, its lifespan and the presence or lack thereof of harmful materials.

What good does it do if something meets EPEAT but becomes e-waste within a year or two? You can only recycle so much and the rest ends up as e-waste in some third world country.

Actual recyclability and reusability should count for more than ease of recycling.

I would rather see a city buy products that last longer than are easily disposable. As long as Apple has a recycling program in place, I don't see the issue here.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
I might be completely wrong but...
Apple's withdrawal causes government agencies to refuse purchases of Macs with tax dollars.
Which means Apple is forcing the government to spend less, however low amount of taxpayer money goes to Mac purchases.
Doesn't that mean increasing government funds by at least some amount?
(Apple pulling out of EPEAT is still a shame)

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Good for San Francisco. I hope more municipalities and businesses make similar announcements.

If they and consumers make it clear that having computers that are both environmentally-friendly and serviceable is more important than gaining a millimeter here or there on Apple's already slender and elegant products, then Apple just might rethink the direction it's going.

I have been buying Macs and other Apple ware for 13+ years, but this recent decision by Apple to go backwards in terms of the environmental impact of their products and actually allowing anyone other than Apple to service the machine should something need repairing (or even if you want something as simple as a RAM upgrade!) gives me serious doubts about future purchases. And based on the comments here in other threads on Macrumors and elsewhere, I'm glad to hear I'm not alone.

JMB1911

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2010
haha so what...I guess even apple is tired of trying to appease the lefties and the scam of "green"

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
I can hear the IT staff working for the city groaning right now at the thought of technology platforms flipping back and forth.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
EPEAT, Carbon credits, same bull poop.

If you want to help the environment, pollute less. Carbon credit are like the modern equivalent of indulgences that were sold by the catholic church. Planting trees is a good thing to curb deforestation but don't think of it as a way of covering your environmental "sins".

EPEAT is just another meaningless certification with arbitrary conditions. What they should really look at is what the actual recyclability of a product is, its lifespan and the presence or lack thereof of harmful materials.

What good does it do if something meets EPEAT but becomes e-waste within a year or two? You can only recycle so much and the rest ends up as e-waste in some third world country.

Are you aware that Apple helped creating EPEAT?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.