Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage4.png

Twitter has updated its iOS app with push notifications for tweets and ambient notifications for when using the app, along with a new logo and a number of other additions.
What's New in Twitter Version 4.3

- Expanded Tweets: when you view Tweet details containing links to partner websites, you can now see content previews, view images, play videos and more [please note: this feature is rolling out gradually]
- Enhanced experience around selected events with the best Tweets and photos from those involved
- Push notifications for Tweets: choose to receive notifications from people you follow anytime they tweet or retweet
- Ambient notifications: enables you to see brief non-interruptive notifications in the status bar while you are using the app
- Improvements to search autocomplete for users
- Discover: now indicates when new stories are available for you to view
- Tappable avatars that take you directly to user profiles
- Performance improvements
- Support for password entry in app when experiencing authentication issues
- Hungarian language support
- Updated with new Twitter bird
- Many other tweaks, polish, and bug and crasher fixes
Twitter is available free for the iPhone and iPad on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Twitter Updates iOS App With Push and Ambient Notifications, a New Logo and More

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Too late for me, I moved to TweetBot and I've been much happier since. :) I still use the original Twitter app on my iPad, so I may try it there however.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Too late for me, I moved to TweetBot and I've been much happier since. :) I still use the original Twitter app on my iPad, so I may try it there however.

Same, switched to Tweetbot on my iPhone and iPad. Hoping they bring out a Mac version too. Too little, too late for the official app as far as I'm concerned.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008

Tweetbot could be the perfect app, except that it doesnt work for me since I keep getting that stupid twitter data limit error message, for hours on end and could never update my timeline. :(

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
Tweetbot could be the perfect app, except that it doesnt work for me since I keep getting that stupid twitter data limit error message, for hours on end and could never update my timeline. :(

Have you tried completely removing tweetbot and installing it again? I had the same issue when I recently restored my iPhone4 backup to my new 4S. I had to completely reinstall it and start fresh.

Brdforallseason

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2011
I've always loved the Twitter for iPhone app and used it exclusively.

Unfortunately this update does away with two of my favorite nitpicky features: 1) it no longer lists the client from which each tweet is sent 2) it no longer provides a map with location data, only the city name.

Losing these features constitutes a deal breaker for me; I have purchased Tweetbot.

utahman130

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2012
Ever since they updated it three times ago, I stopped using and moved to Tweetbot. Much more efficient!

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Pretty cool. I just updated my Twitter account and I now have my first follower -- Macrumors. I setup push notification for the tweets so I don't have to keep refreshing macrumors.com. :)

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
I've kept version 3.x (or whatever it was before the disastrous update a few months ago). Not sure I want to go through the reinstall process if I don't like this update.

xpower180

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2011
UK/Dubai
Push Tweets from iPad?

I've been using Tweetbot for some time now, I love the synching between my devices.
Decide to re- download Twitter to see if it got any better and cannot see a way to enable pushing of tweets from follows on the iPad. The setting is present and works on my iPhone... Am I missing something obvious?

alexryans

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Is it just me or does that screenshot look a lot taller than the current iOS device (specifically iPhone) screen size? Possibly taken on an iPhone 5 prototype device?

Just speculation from an observation, of course - could be nothing at all, but I thought I'd point it out.

mohJACK

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
just updated, i don't see any differences by now.
let's see how this works out

retrospek

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
UK
I'm confused - just installed both on my iPad and iPhone and can't see anything different..

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2008
Is there any way to auto update and keep the recent tweets at the top of the screen rather than having to scroll up all the time?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.