Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hoychristian

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
ah I see, makes sense now. They didn't give you the full discount of $100 for students, but rather $50 of it and gave you a $100 GC. The first $50 off should be already included thanks to their sale they have on-going right now that anyone can utilize.

My brother bought a similar 13" MBA got the $60 off SALE price, then used the $100 off coupon (with .edu address/student ID), no gift card. So $160 total of cash off a 13" MBA. I'd rather take that than $100 off cash and $100 best buy gift card haha. But either way you make out very nicely!

So the price before taxes was $1039 instead of apples back to school deal of 1149+gift card but still in cash is $1149. Making $160 cash off with student coupon is the best deal.

How recent did your brother buy the MBA? Cause I've been doing a lot of research for what's best for my money and this seems like the second to none deal for a student!
Thanks for your input :)

Last edited:

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
So the price before taxes was $1039 instead of apples back to school deal of 1149+gift card but still in cash is $1149. Making $160 cash off with student coupon is the best deal.

How recent did your brother buy the MBA? Cause I've been doing a lot of research for what's best for my money and this seems like the second to none deal for a student!
Thanks for your input :)

He bought it last Thursday or so. He mentioned that Best Buy has extended their sale on their MacBooks so you can get the additional sale price off on top of the student discount. Do you have the link to the Best Buy education email offer thing? It's in a thread somewhere. PM me if you need the link to enter your .edu email address as it's all unique codes for the $100 off coupon. I'm guessing you probably have until Saturday. Also you'll get like $20 in rewards dollars to use again in the future =)

hoychristian

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
He bought it last Thursday or so. He mentioned that Best Buy has extended their sale on their MacBooks so you can get the additional sale price off on top of the student discount. Do you have the link to the Best Buy education email offer thing? It's in a thread somewhere. PM me if you need the link to enter your .edu email address as it's all unique codes for the $100 off coupon. I'm guessing you probably have until Saturday. Also you'll get like $20 in rewards dollars to use again in the future =)

Yeah I've got the email with the coupons on my .edu email. :) Getting my paycheck this Friday and enough to buy it I just hope I could get to bestbuy before sale ends ): let's hope not this Saturday haha. Is the 20$ rewards for BB for their card members?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I don't know why you people don't just buy a refurbished Mac straight from Apple. The 13inch 256GB version is $1199. You can't get anything better than that and straight from the source!

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I don't know why you people don't just buy a refurbished Mac straight from Apple. The 13inch 256GB version is $1199. You can't get anything better than that and straight from the source!

That's last years model dude.

shznit

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2010
they do, however they need to order it to store. You can pay and get discount, but need to order it through what they call express lane
I just called three Best Buys in my area and the all said no to the 8GB model, even when I mentioned 'express lane.'

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Yeah I've got the email with the coupons on my .edu email. :) Getting my paycheck this Friday and enough to buy it I just hope I could get to bestbuy before sale ends ): let's hope not this Saturday haha. Is the 20$ rewards for BB for their card members?

It's a free thing they offer. When purchasing, just ask to sign up for their rewards program. It will show up in like 30 days after purchase and then you can print out a coupon in increments of $5 to use in store or online.

tburk32

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Has anyone had any luck with getting Best Buy to match the Apple Back to School discount + $100 gift card (either Best Buy gift card or Itunes Gift Card)? I would prefer to buy 2012 through Best Buy to get the Reward Zone points. I was reading mixed results on this thread and various other threads but most of the threads haven't had any activity since the beginning of the month. I know it is getting a little greedy to try to get the reward zone points and also the discount+gift card but if it is available without too much trouble why not go for it right?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

seedzeng

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
Ask

I just came from best buy with a shiny new 13" MacBook Air 1.8/4GB/256SSD. Ended up spending a total of about $1400.00. They have a silent promotion going on giving $100 off to students and a $100 gift card. Furthermore, the reduced the price of the Air to $1300 after discounts then charged me for the $100 gift card, thus reducing the tax. Ymmv!

The Best Buy Manager was really cool, and actually was the one who told me about the $100.

Hi there, Will the 8gb ram version be availabe from Best- buy?????????????????/
4gb does not seem to be enough for me

ohhmaar

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Hi there, Will the 8gb ram version be availabe from Best- buy?????????????????/
4gb does not seem to be enough for me

No. Unfortunately Best Buy is lame and won't let you customize your Mac prior to purchase.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.