Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Couldn't find the relevant place to to pst this, but when you buy a mac from the HE store you are supposed to get 3 years hardware coverage. Upon checking my new 2012 MBA's coverage it shows only 1 year?

Have other had this problem? Any solutions?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Couldn't find the relevant place to to pst this, but when you buy a mac from the HE store you are supposed to get 3 years hardware coverage. Upon checking my new 2012 MBA's coverage it shows only 1 year?

what is the HE store?

edit: if that is the education store, unless you are in the UK, it is just a 1 year warranty. You do get a discount on applecare though

Atemporal

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
HE = higher education

Only the UK has a complimentary 3 year service. Everyone else, 1 year.

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
I bought mine from a UK Higher Education Store

I have attached a screen shot of what it says, yet the apple rep who I am on the phone two is arguing that its only 1 year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 14.34.29.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-11 at 14.34.29.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 148

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
If the uk is the only one that offers 3years warranty, why do they give you the option of also buying Applecare after selecting Mac?

EDIT: just seen screenshot above. Sounds like it is 3years repairs from UK HE store. I was wondering why the Applecare offered after selecting Mac was so cheap

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
If the uk is the only one that offers 3years warranty, why do they give you the option of also buying Applecare after selecting Mac?

For extended telephone support and its only if you buy online I think.

Chic0

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Cool

Glad I saw this thread. I intend buying a MacBook Air once ML is out. I was going to add that Applecare, but dont think I will now

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Well after 3 phone calls with Apple they leave me a voicemail saying we can't change it contact your uni who say its nothing to do with them! Has anyone else had the same problem?? if you just bought one check out your warranty, you don't want to have a problem when say in a year or two they claim you only had one year warranty! Not impressed

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England

I've got the same problem - I recently bought my 2012 MBA from the UK Apple Education Online store and understood that 3 years repair warranty was standard for Macs ordered via the UK Education Store (again - I saw the same information as the screenshot posted earlier on the order page), yet when I checked for what coverage I had online (here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) it says I only have one year of repair cover! Perhaps I need to enter some Applecare Code, but nothing came with the machine!

When I was configuring my MBA in the Uk Edu Store, under Applecare it said:

"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered."

All the "AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift" seemed to do, though, is to extend the telephone support for 3 years, as the repair coverage is already for three years and to do this costs £48:

APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT) [+ £48.00]

I have sent a complaint to Apple, am not sure when/if I will get a response...

alias99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
I've got the same problem - I recently bought my 2012 MBA from the UK Apple Education Online store and understood that 3 years repair warranty was standard for Macs ordered via the UK Education Store (again - I saw the same information as the screenshot posted earlier on the order page), yet when I checked for what coverage I had online (here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do) it says I only have one year of repair cover! Perhaps I need to enter some Applecare Code, but nothing came with the machine!

When I was configuring my MBA in the Uk Edu Store, under Applecare it said:

"Every new Mac purchased from the Apple Store for Higher Education comes with complimentary telephone technical support for one year from your Mac purchase date and three years of repair coverage. With the AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift (AdditionalTelephone Technical Support), you can extend your telephone technical support to three years from the computer's purchase date. You can call Apple's award-winning experts as often as you like and get your questions answered."

All the "AppleCare Protection Plan Uplift" seemed to do, though, is to extend the telephone support for 3 years, as the repair coverage is already for three years and to do this costs £48:

APPLECARE PROTECTION PLAN UPLIFT MACBOOK/MACBOOK AIR/MACBOOK PRO 13" (HE CONTRACT) [+ £48.00]

I have sent a complaint to Apple, am not sure when/if I will get a response...

Happy / Unhappy that I am not the only one. Where did you send the complaint? I think theres a glitch in Apples system and their staff don't even seem to know about it. I was passed on the their "senior supervisor" and all he said was contact you uni. It has nothing to do with them and its apples systems that keep track of warranty and extend it! Im sure many new Macbook / Air owners have the same issue!

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
Happy / Unhappy that I am not the only one. Where did you send the complaint? I think theres a glitch in Apples system and their staff don't even seem to know about it. I was passed on the their "senior supervisor" and all he said was contact you uni. It has nothing to do with them and its apples systems that keep track of warranty and extend it! Im sure many new Macbook / Air owners have the same issue!

I only sent the complaint yesterday. Its definitely Apple's problem to sort out as far as I'm concerned - I don't see how my agreement with Apple has anything to do with my University (and am sure my University will think the same!)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I only sent the complaint yesterday. Its definitely Apple's problem to sort out as far as I'm concerned - I don't see how my agreement with Apple has anything to do with my University (and am sure my University will think the same!)

apple will take care of it. Even if it is something they have changed recently, but have yet to change online.

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
There's a thread on this in the Buyer's Tips section. I believe it takes a few months to update your coverage on the website but it seems to change to 3 years after a while: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1103022/

Quote from there:

iStudentUK said:
It takes a while for the 3 year warranty to appear online (I took about 9 weeks for mine to appear). You should also get an email after 90 days confirming your student warranty (the normal AppleCare has 90 days phone support, the student standard warranty has 1 year, so I guess that may be why it comes then).

Remember it is irrelevant what Apple says on its online warranty check- when you placed your order you will have ticked a box saying "I agree to the T&Cs *link*" or something similar. Those are the terms of your contract with Apple, they say you have a 3 year warranty, Apple cannot change its mind afterwards. Which is why when you buy something big (laptop, mobile contract etc) actually bother to read the T&Cs and keep a copy! Little bit of contract law for you!

Altoid5

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
It is 3 years hardware and 1 year telephone support

UK HE store warranty

I was told by an Apple rep that the status of my warranty should be automatically updated in about 90 days after purchase, to show the 3 year hardware warranty. :)

-d-

BlueOcean

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
UK HE store warranty

I was told by an Apple rep that the status of my warranty should be automatically updated in about 90 days after purchase, to show the 3 year hardware warranty. :)

-d-

Err yeah, that's in the quote I posted just above yours :p

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
UK HE store warranty

-d-

Was this someone in an Apple Store or someone who you spoke to via phone/email? Am just curious, as I would really like to hear someone from Apple confirm the status of my warranty with me. Thanks

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
From experience, it usually takes a few months to update to show the 3 year hardwarw warranty. You should get a letter in the post at some point confirming it

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Was this someone in an Apple Store or someone who you spoke to via phone/email? Am just curious, as I would really like to hear someone from Apple confirm the status of my warranty with me. Thanks

I have bought numerous items over my 4 years from the HE store. Warranty arrives 60-90 days after purchase as a PDF to whatever email address your online Apple store account is registered to. If you buy actual AppleCare, or in this case, the HE Uplift plan, it goes on the day of purchase.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I have bought numerous items over my 4 years from the HE store. Warranty arrives 60-90 days after purchase as a PDF to whatever email address your online Apple store account is registered to. If you buy actual AppleCare, or in this case, the HE Uplift plan, it goes on the day of purchase.

So, just to confirm - even if not buying the HE Uplift plan, you still get sent the 3 year warranty (if buying in the UK Education Store), but after 60-90 days? Thanks

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I have the same issue with an iMac i bought last year through the HE store... supposed to get 3 years apple care but only showing 1... have called them up loads since... its now been 8 months and still nothing done about it yet iv asked them loads over the phone.

Its cost me around £60 in phone calls to them i might as well have just bought the damn thing in the first place... shocking really...

Never had this issue with the mbp

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I have the same issue with an iMac i bought last year through the HE store... supposed to get 3 years apple care but only showing 1... have called them up loads since... its now been 8 months and still nothing done about it yet iv asked them loads over the phone.

Its cost me around £60 in phone calls to them i might as well have just bought the damn thing in the first place... shocking really...

Never had this issue with the mbp

That doesn't sound promising :-(

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
That doesn't sound promising :-(

Well they acknowledge its wrong.. the first time i called them they denied it all until I read out the section from the website in terms and conditions that stated the 3 year cover then they changed their tone.

So they know its an issue and promised to put it right... but like I said its been 8 months and about 5 or 6 phone calls and nothings been done about it even though they have promised to do something each time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.