Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The New York Times reports on Apple CEO Tim Cook's presence at the annual Allen & Co. media conference in Sun Valley, Idaho, noting that he is easily earning the title of "Mr. Popular" due to Apple's rare presence at the event.
The conference, full of media bigwigs, has also been buzzing about any blueprints Mr. Cook may be hiding in Apple's magic hat. He has lined up several one-on-one meetings with media executives here, fueling speculation that he is busy cobbling together partnerships for a home entertainment expansion.
cook_sagan_sun_valley.jpg
Tim Cook and Akamai CEO Paul Sagan at Allen & Co. conference (Credit: Paul Sakuma/AP)
Cook has been keeping a relatively low profile at the conference so far, but he did note that he was "looking forward" to those meetings.
When asked what he was looking forward to at the conference, Mr. Cook smiled. "I'm looking forward to all the private discussions I've set up this week," he said.

Would he have time for coffee with DealBook?

The polite Mr. Cook simply replied, "Probably not."
Steve Jobs was occasionally found on the invitation list for the Sun Valley conference, including as late as 2010, but his last appearance at the event came in 2005.

Article Link: Tim Cook at Sun Valley Conference, 'Looking Forward' to Meetings with Media Executives

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Tim Cook could have said, "I really hate going to these conferences, but the board makes me. I dread meeting with media executives -- they are such bores and tightwads."

Now, that would have been really newsworthy!

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better.

Of course they could, they could have their entire wardrobe hand made by the finest tailors. Obviously, it's not important to them. They are past the adolescent idea that "Clothes make the Man". You might take a lesson here in how not to be shallow.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Dear Mr. Cook,

we don't want TV packages, we want TV shows.

I don't want a package of networks bundled together.

I don't want a package of all the shows from a single network.

I want to pick and choose which shows I get.

TV is different from music. Apart from a few select classic shows, I only ever watch each episode only once. I don't want to buy TV shows, I don't want to rent TV shows. I only want to pay a low cost for each season of a TV series. If the cost of watching eight shows is twice the price of getting cable or satellite, I'm not going to use iTunes, it doesn't make any sense.

And don't forget those of us with stupidly low download monthly caps. How low, you ask? Try 30GB per month. So we also need an option for SD content.

And last, don't make us Canadians wait months or years to get the same thing as the people in the USA. It's 99% the same shows.

danr_97070

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2004
Earth
Tense conversation?

Must be a pretty tense conversation, Tim has his fist doubled up. Comfortable in his new CEO role... yeah... maybe.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The recent turmoil in satellite TV content contracts (Viacom-DirecTV example) seems like an indication this confab can shed light on directions going forward as Apple quitely and confidentially moves toward an internet data only video and content feed system akin to Apple TV and iTunes, but possibly integrating content feeds directly rather than through aggregators and broadcast networks (cable and satellite companies).

It is in content providers and Apple's interest to remove a layer of cost and "stickiness" and "friction" and directly provide content feeds and menuing systems. The problem for the content owners is Apple has a meme of standalone content. Buying or renting content by the episode, series, channel are definitely going to be separate options. Content providers are already choking on DirecTV objecting to both a 30% package price increase, but also being forced to take the whole package. There are some channels they are at loggerheads over.

However. There is still the issue of basic access. Some if not most locations simply don't have access to high speed internet via wire to the home. Those that do have fiber, copper, cable and probably others. Satellite downlink is fast enough but uplink sucks.

Then there is the <40% of the population stuck on dial up or 2G wireless or worse, nothing at all.

Netflix DVD might become less ubiquitous, but is will be a necessary utility for several years to come.

As for Cook's disposition, just like Steve, when he is in these meetings, he has already done years of research and planning and he is there with a monologue. The media reports of that are generally negative so having fewer of those make sense. Right until the product is announced. :D

Maybe he is on a Hillary Clinton-esque "listening tour." "It takes a village." :D What the other guy in the meeting should do is listen. Intently. Tim could evolve the media experience massively by simply having a campfire meeting where he outlines three of his top philosophies. Steve did it with consumer appliance, Flash, Multi-Touch, Siri, and curation, and look where we are now!

Rocketman

Last edited:

Abm4490

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
You'd think multimillionaires could find clothes that fit better.
At least Tim is not wearing the same clothing attire like Steve once did. That's whats great about Apple, they don't show off their wealth by wearing really nice clothes and stuff. Yea they are worth a $$$$ but they don't show it off unlike Hollywood and other companies. That's why they are so unique and a lot of people, like myself love them!

----------

He seems to have adjusted very well to the CEO position
such a CLASSey leader. He has done everything in my opinion up to the standards that Steve asked him too. It's crazy to think that he has been the CEO almost a year ago...

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Dear Mr. Cook,

we don't want TV packages, we want TV shows.

I don't want a package of networks bundled together.

I don't want a package of all the shows from a single network.

I want to pick and choose which shows I get.

TV is different from music. Apart from a few select classic shows, I only ever watch each episode only once. I don't want to buy TV shows, I don't want to rent TV shows. I only want to pay a low cost for each season of a TV series. If the cost of watching eight shows is twice the price of getting cable or satellite, I'm not going to use iTunes, it doesn't make any sense.

And don't forget those of us with stupidly low download monthly caps. How low, you ask? Try 30GB per month. So we also need an option for SD content.

And last, don't make us Canadians wait months or years to get the same thing as the people in the USA. It's 99% the same shows.

I agree with most of what you say, but we need to force the broadband providers to change their damn business models. No charging rent on tiers of programming. The network cannot own the shows it sells. Cable nets are digital utilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.