Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with the game. Did you buy it on Steam or the Mac App Store? If you bought it on Steam, I'd recommend trying boot camp and playing it in Windows.

While more games are becoming available for Macs now, OS X seems to be far behind the curve for gaming/3D rendering compared to Windows where Nvidia can release driver updates as frequently as they like, rather than relying on OS updates from Apple.

I purchased a retail boxed version of Civ V for Windows back when it first released and now that Steam allows you to download the Mac version as well I just downloaded it off Steam for my rMBP. Never had any issues with crashing on the Windows version unless I was running mods that broke the game. I'll have to play with the graphics settings to see which ones are the culprits to causing the lockup and crash when loading a game because 2880x1800 and 1920x1200 neither one are working and 1440x900 just looks bad.

Wordwreck

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
But GOD, the graphics look so much better on the OSX side. The farms are more saturated and crisp. The textures all have a granular look to them that look dull by comparison on the Windows side. Why doesn't the game look as good on the Windows side?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I purchased a retail boxed version of Civ V for Windows back when it first released and now that Steam allows you to download the Mac version as well I just downloaded it off Steam for my rMBP. Never had any issues with crashing on the Windows version unless I was running mods that broke the game. I'll have to play with the graphics settings to see which ones are the culprits to causing the lockup and crash when loading a game because 2880x1800 and 1920x1200 neither one are working and 1440x900 just looks bad.
It'll probably be the fault of the graphics driver in OSX for that hardware. Be patient, because you won't be the only one suffering this. Apple or Aspyr will release a patch at some point, I'm certain of it.

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
It'll probably be the fault of the graphics driver in OSX for that hardware. Be patient, because you won't be the only one suffering this. Apple or Aspyr will release a patch at some point, I'm certain of it.

I was able to get 2880x1800 working pretty well last night and played for several hours without crashing. I found a key setting over at the Civ Fanatics forum that someone mentioned turning down on Mac's in order to help with Civ V crashing which is turning Leader Scene Quality in video settings to low. Everything else I have set to the highest setting except for the three I mentioned previously which default to low regardless.

After changing that one setting the game was playable for several hours until I decided to load an auto save to go back a couple of turns and then the game crashed to the desktop again. Hopefully Apple and Aspyr will get things worked out on the new rMBP's in this game because it seems to run well performance wise at 2880x1800.

zbuc

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
I'm experiencing the same issue. New Retina MBP 15", 16 GB RAM.

I can crank all the settings to high and play on 1440x900 but it resets most of my graphics settings to low for some reason. You can tell by the low quality of the tile extras that it's not ever rendering them in "high" mode.

If I change the resolution to 2880x1800, the menus become very small, I assume because there aren't retina sized assets yet. If I try to go in a game, it plays me about 1/2 the leader intro, and then crashes.

I played on a Europe tileset, Huge size, max players, etc.(I like big long games :p)

edit: checked, the video options reset back to low when I exit the game. when i change them, it says changes won't take effect until i restart the game... so i restart the game, and the changes reset :(

edit2: ok, after i turned leader video quality to "low" it started working in 2880x1400. all assets seem to be not available optimized for retina resolution, everything is very, very small and difficult to see

Last edited:

ChristopherOdd

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
I'm having an issue running CIV V on bootcamp as well. When I load the game, the menu screen is much larger than my screen and I only see the top left 1/4 of it.

I am able to click into some menus (they are cut off in the bottom right corner) and I try to change the resolution but to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
I would also love to hear if anyone has any experiences with Civ IV on the RMBP, particularly without bootcamp. I play it on a 2010 MBP with Snow Leopard and it works pretty well for a little while, but eventually the laptop fans kick in until the game just crashes. Thank goodness for autosaves. I haven't tried to make it work on Lion yet.

bluespider

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Space Coast FL
I would also love to hear if anyone has any experiences with Civ IV on the RMBP, particularly without bootcamp. I play it on a 2010 MBP with Snow Leopard and it works pretty well for a little while, but eventually the laptop fans kick in until the game just crashes. Thank goodness for autosaves. I haven't tried to make it work on Lion yet.

I'm running RMBP base and it runs just fine (using team version) :)

Dom.S

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
I recently picked up a 13" 2012 MBA and thought I'd give Civ V a try while it was in the Steam sale. It runs fine, but the Air does its best impression of a 747 taking off throughout and it runs out of juice after barely 2 hours on the battery. I know that's inevitable to an extent and can live with it if need be, but I'm wondering whether the game might be better optimised on the Windows side. Has anyone tried both the Mac and Windows versions to see how they compare? I'd rather avoid bootcamp if possible, but if the Windows release performs significantly better I'd be tempted to give it a go.

Also, a fun discovery: Play the game on an external monitor with a res greater than the Air, then unplug the monitor and load Civ V. Voila, kernel panic. To avoid this you need to remember to reduce the game resolution to something lower/equal to the Air's before disconnecting the external monitor. This is the sort of thing that has me wondering if the Mac version might be kind of rough around the edges.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
any game will drain your battery faster, no matter what OS your on. 2 hours running Civ5 sounds pretty good, Id expect it to be less than that. Normally you just don't game on batteries as games pull way too much power.

danishlad17

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Civ V

Hey guys, I just got a 2012 13' mbp/2.9 and i was wondering if anyone here has had experience playing civ V with that same macbook

thanks

GouDZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
I'm having an issue running CIV V on bootcamp as well. When I load the game, the menu screen is much larger than my screen and I only see the top left 1/4 of it.

I am able to click into some menus (they are cut off in the bottom right corner) and I try to change the resolution but to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

I have the same probleme, (Civ V bootcamp retina 15'')
I resolve this similar problem with BF3 with this solution from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4309
But I have Civ V on steam and I can't do the same procedure of "Disable display scaling on high DPI."

Anyone have a solution?

----------

I have the same probleme, (Civ V bootcamp retina 15'')
I resolve this similar problem with BF3 with this solution from apple http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4309
But I have Civ V on steam and I can't do the same procedure of "Disable display scaling on high DPI."

Anyone have a solution?

GOT IT!

Originally Posted by webb0001
Try the below it might work

Find the CivilizationV_DX11.exe in your steam folder
should look some thing like this
C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization v

right click the CivilizationV_DX11.exe, click properties, and tick the box that says disable display scalling on high dpi settings.

This fixed a similar problem I had on this game and others.

:D

pierrejo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
not worth it

This pisses me off.
I upgraded from a 2006 macbook which was able to handle Civ 4 respectably.
This 2012 macbook air isn't able to display the screen without half of it being artefacts. It's infuriating - I love Civ 4 much, more than civ 5, and the inability to play it now is killing me. When at the hero selection screen, think full screen glitches/artefacts. when on world map, you only see the bottom 2/3 of the screen. When you meet with an enemy hero, glitches all over.

PLEASE FIX THIS - I wish I still had my 2006 macbook now :/

alexbi

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2012
This pisses me off.
I upgraded from a 2006 macbook which was able to handle Civ 4 respectably.
This 2012 macbook air isn't able to display the screen without half of it being artefacts. It's infuriating - I love Civ 4 much, more than civ 5, and the inability to play it now is killing me. When at the hero selection screen, think full screen glitches/artefacts. when on world map, you only see the bottom 2/3 of the screen. When you meet with an enemy hero, glitches all over.

PLEASE FIX THIS - I wish I still had my 2006 macbook now :/

I Pierrejo. I've same problem but i found an easy solution. Start Game. Go to Option. Select Graphic option then disable "full screen". Now you can set all graphic detail to maximum without issue!!!
You can set game resolution to 1440x900 (on MBA 13"), hide the dock and you have a "windowed full screen" full working. Ah.. you must restart game after change settings. :)

Enjoy!! (and You're welcome :D)

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I dialed civ v graphics down and was pretty happy with it on a 2012 MBA 11"

IMO it is better to be able to play when time allows, where it allows, versus not play. On a game like that I can live with some compromises.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Are the RMBP issues fixed yet? I'm getting mine tomorrow and I'd love to buy Civ 5 to play on it. I'll wait for a sale if its still crashing.

Tanjecterly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
Are the RMBP issues fixed yet? I'm getting mine tomorrow and I'd love to buy Civ 5 to play on it. I'll wait for a sale if its still crashing.

I bought a rMP and regularly play Civ V with no problems. I have also played Rome Total War also with no problems. I play Civ IV on Bootcamp with no problems.

However, King's Bounty: The Legend from the Mac App store has problems and keeps crashing.

YMMV.

But I think you will not have any problems!

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
If you plan to play multiplayer on the largest maps you need tons of power.
I haven't played Civ5 since I upgraded, but on my old hack (C2D 4GHz 8GB RAM GTX285) the game became unplayable after 8 hours into the match (not in one go but over several nights)
At that point I played in the 2D view instead.
I intalled Civ5 on win7 instead and finished the game after about 14 hours, in the end the performance was pretty bad in win7, but nowhere as bad as in OSX.

It seems to me that CPU power is equal as important for Civ5 tho, so new quad i7s on the MBPs should be twice as fast as my old machine, although the GT650M is a joke compared to the gtx285.

I had no crashes tho, so praise for that!

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I'm having an issue running Civilization 5 in Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my new 13" retina MacBook Pro. I got through all the hassle with the disabling the high-DPI scaling and then I wanted to run the game at 1280x800 (I figured that would be the most appropriate resolution for the retina display) but the game is now getting rendered in a small box and the rest of the screen is blacked out. Why is is not blown to fullscreen? Every other resolution works fine, but this setting renders it in a small box.

pierrejo

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
I Pierrejo. I've same problem but i found an easy solution. Start Game. Go to Option. Select Graphic option then disable "full screen". Now you can set all graphic detail to maximum without issue!!!
You can set game resolution to 1440x900 (on MBA 13"), hide the dock and you have a "windowed full screen" full working. Ah.. you must restart game after change settings. :)

Enjoy!! (and You're welcome :D)

Thank you mate! Fixed it - am stocked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.