Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
I have had the Griffin Survivor case for my new iPad for a couple of weeks now. I just can't seem to get used to the screen protector, but I LOVE the rubberized outer shell. The case is great, and I'm very happy, with the except for the screen protector. It seems to create an air pocket between the screen and my fingers causing the keyboard to only detect about 80-90% of what I actually touch. Maybe I just have a light touch.

Have any of you been successful at removing the screen protector? I'm thinking I can just take it apart and use a razor blade or something and slice off the screen protector, then reassemble it to fully expose the iPad screen.

Perhaps I could even use a stick-on screen protector instead of the one built into the case to give the screen some protection.

Thoughts?

-Chris

theMIGHTYtroll

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I've done it

I have actually recently just removed the built in screen protector for the Griffin Survivor iPad case. It is not an easy feat, due to the strong glue, but in the end, you will notice a much more easier experience. If you have the new iPad, you will notice how beautiful the screen actually is. No more of that colorful grainy watermark. Touch responsiveness is also much, much better. I think Griffin utterly fails at implementing built in protectors into their cases. My only concern for you is the process and end result. It is fairly tough to get it off and clean off some of the excess glue, but in the end, it's all worth it. As for the extra screen protector, I would advise in doing so. The only type of screen protector I have personal knowledge that is wonderful is Ghost Armor. Ghost armor's screen protectors are very well made. I suggest looking for a local kiosk at the mall or check out their website at http://www.ghost-armor.com/

If you have additional questions or want actual steps in removing the screen protector, just ask.

ee99ee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 9, 2006
Instead of trying to remove it, could you not just cut the screen protector with an exacto knife? That way you wouldn't have to be worried about the glue.

-Chris

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I've known people do it with the iPhone version, but I have no problems with mine except for then"p" key which takes a slightly harder tap. I didn't consider one for my iPad though....They are great protection, but let's face it, they are pig ugly.....:D

theMIGHTYtroll

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2012
I don't know...

I guess cutting it off would work too, but you would have to be very precise and make sure that it is perfect. Completely removing it then rubbing the glue-ey surface with something like toilet paper actually makes it a lot less sticky. Doesn't affect th case at all and you end up with the protection of the survivor without any drawbacks.

foobaz

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2010
I have actually recently just removed the built in screen protector for the Griffin Survivor iPad case. It is not an easy feat, due to the strong glue, but in the end, you will notice a much more easier experience. If you have the new iPad, you will notice how beautiful the screen actually is. No more of that colorful grainy watermark. Touch responsiveness is also much, much better. I think Griffin utterly fails at implementing built in protectors into their cases. My only concern for you is the process and end result. It is fairly tough to get it off and clean off some of the excess glue, but in the end, it's all worth it.
If you have additional questions or want actual steps in removing the screen protector, just ask.

Yes, please post exactly how you removed it. I can't stand the dust behind the screen and the way the grains absolutely ruin the 'retina display' experience. I wrote Griffin and asked if there was a solvent that would remove the glue without marring the case. The reply I got said not to use acetone on the case and not to remove the screen protector at all as it would void the warranty.
Griffin Service said:
Also, with any screen protector designed for the protective cases, there will be a slight "pixilation" with the retina display. Unfortunately, it is just some that could not be avoided.
Oh really? Then how come there are so many companies offering a screen protector that is CLEAR!? They obviously don't get that they are ruining the very feature that is the reason why so many people bought the iPhone 4 in the first place.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I have had the Griffin Survivor case for my new iPad for a couple of weeks now. I just can't seem to get used to the screen protector, but I LOVE the rubberized outer shell. The case is great, and I'm very happy, with the except for the screen protector. It seems to create an air pocket between the screen and my fingers causing the keyboard to only detect about 80-90% of what I actually touch. Maybe I just have a light touch.

Have any of you been successful at removing the screen protector? I'm thinking I can just take it apart and use a razor blade or something and slice off the screen protector, then reassemble it to fully expose the iPad screen.

Perhaps I could even use a stick-on screen protector instead of the one built into the case to give the screen some protection.

Thoughts?

-Chris

I know it is not a Griffin, but I had the same issue with the otterbox and worked till I got the screen protector out. Then took googone and worked untill all the sticky was gone and now it is GREAT. I think this should work for the Griffin also. I pushed on one corner until it came loose and then pulled it all the way out.

HiddenPuppy

nikki24

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
With the new cases do some of them have the protector screen that goes on last when putting it together (after the silicone case). It looks like a good case but one side has a shorter clip so not as firm on that side and something that makes me think it looks kind off fake. Might be me just being skeptical as I tend to be. I have seen images on google of coloured ones that look the same but nothing on youtube. Thanks for any help

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
With the new cases do some of them have the protector screen that goes on last when putting it together (after the silicone case). It looks like a good case but one side has a shorter clip so not as firm on that side and something that makes me think it looks kind off fake. Might be me just being skeptical as I tend to be. I have seen images on google of coloured ones that look the same but nothing on youtube. Thanks for any help

The Survivor and Otterbox Defender screen protectors are built in. I'm not sure what case you're referring to.

JackX04

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2015
I've known people do it with the iPhone version, but I have no problems with mine except for then"p" key which takes a slightly harder tap. I didn't consider one for my iPad though....They are great protection, but let's face it, they are pig ugly.....:D[/QUOT

Thoughts?

-Chris
I just took the screen protecter using a knife. It's quite simple, actually. It just takes a while to take it off, and also be aware of stabbing your own finger cause if you aren't careful enough, you get bloody holes on your palm. So you find a place where the screen protecter isn't so jammed with the outside and pull it, use a knife to help you cut off the screen protecter. It took me like 5 mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.