Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A newly-published Apple patent application (via AppleInsider) reveals Apple's interest in exploring the use of the iPod nano's clip as a charging and docking mechanism, a move that would eliminate the need for a dedicated docking port on the bottom edge of the device as found in the current design.

ipod_nano_clip_charger-e1342124199741.jpg

By incorporating electrical contacts into the clip and using a dock adapter to provide compatibility with Apple's current docking stations, the clamping action of the iPod nano's clip could hold the device in position for charging purposes.
In some embodiments, a portable user device may include a rechargeable battery, and a clip member that is electrically coupled to the rechargeable battery. The rechargeable battery may be charged by electrically coupling the clip member to a receiving receptacle. In some embodiments, the clip member may provide a clamping force which aids in maintaining contact between the receiving receptacle and the clip member.
Apple's patent application also describes a number of other implementations for the clip-based charging mechanism, including the ability to clip directly onto a charging point on the bezel of another device.

The newly-published patent, originally filed in January 2011, is not the first time Apple has proposed a means to increase the utility of the iPod nano's clip. A May 2010 application proposed integrating a piezoelectric speaker into the clip, while a prototype device has hinted at plans to equip the device with a rear camera that would project through a hole in the clip.

A new rumor surfacing earlier this week claims, however, that Apple will be abandoning the current iPod nano design later this year in favor of an oblong design with a larger screen and a home button similar to that found on iOS devices.

Apple is also rumored to be bringing a smaller dock connector to its iOS devices later this year, a feature that could make its way to the iPod nano as well given that the device currently uses the same dock connector design seen in iOS devices.

Article Link: Apple Patent Application Reveals Integrated Charging Contacts in iPod Nano Clip

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Add a camera and the speaker, and I'd buy one!
I liked the prior patent application for hiding a speaker behind the clip, too.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Neat idea, clip on for charging.

But come on, can't we get wireless charging please?
I know it takes a bit longer/slower, but even as an option?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Can't they just sync/charge through the headphone jack like the shuffle? I always liked that solultion.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Wow, this is actually really, really cool.

Then accessories mfrs can design clothing with built-in contacts and solar panels. Clip your iPod to your shirt and charge while you jog! :D

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Highly dangerous. Be sure to avoid this.

Can we please, please have the "downvote" button back? Even if just to stop the spread of misinformation like this?

This is no different than the Magsafe charger. Try plugging it in and pressing the notebook end to your palm and see if anything happens. Answer: nothing does.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
It takes quite a long time which is not problem of the Shuffle, because it lasts about 3 weeks on one charge. :)

If they are going to all the trouble of making this new dock work (which they may not be) then couldn't they work on making it faster instead?

617arg

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Cool idea, but I too prefer the one cable fits all solution. It's just much more convenient.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
If they are going to all the trouble of making this new dock work (which they may not be) then couldn't they work on making it faster instead?

Yeah, sure it will be 100% better. Why do we need a big dock when you are ok with few inch long cable. It doesn't even fit the Nano box and would cost 5 times as much.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Yeah, sure it will be 100% better. Why do we need a big dock when you are ok with few inch long cable. It doesn't even fit the Nano box and would cost 5 times as much.

I hope they improve the speed and go with that method for all iPods/iPads in future. Makes the devices much cleaner to look at.

I guess they just wanted to call dibs on this idea so no one else does it.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
This is quite an interesting idea, but I would be concerned about the contacts becoming dirty/damaged from their placement on surfaces used for clipping to materials.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
I hope they improve the speed and go with that method for all iPods/iPads in future. Makes the devices much cleaner to look at.

I guess they just wanted to call dibs on this idea so no one else does it.

I doubt they would go with that method on iPad/iPhone/iTouch. Even if they had made it faster, they could have made the current one faster than that one. Because the iPad already takes 5 hours to charge and charging speed is kind of important factor.

Therefore I can only imagine seeing it on Nanos/Shuffles.

euphemus

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012
And this is exactly what is wrong with frivolous patent applications. Why is Apple able to register a patent for a clip-based charger when clip-based charging is already available in many devices? Anyone with a FitBit ultra or Suunto Ambit will use clip-based charging already. Apple may have some vaguely original claim to the manner of their particular implementation but really, is an evolution of an existing idea really worth a patent?

This sort of thing stifles innovation instead of protecting it.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Neat idea, clip on for charging.

But come on, can't we get wireless charging please?
I know it takes a bit longer/slower, but even as an option?

Not only slower, but it takes up a lot more space inside. There's no room to spare when you're trying to remain small.

----------

Highly dangerous. Be sure to avoid this.

Why is this dangerous? You don't have to worry about voltage until it nears 40V. This is no more dangerous than picking up a AAA battery with your bare hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.