Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
FaceTime is too limiting. Not only is it limited to Apple, it still does not do group chat, messaging (Apple probably expects you to use iMessage), or 3G. The latter will come in iOS 6, but only for the 4S and iPad 3.

I'd love to ditch Skype in an instant, but unfortunately I can only use FaceTime with my parents at the moment. I remember when Apple first announced FT, Jobs said they were going to open the spec. Whatever happened to that?

You are right, it is very limiting and would be good if they did make it cross platform. However, I find it to be much better than Skype simply because it's more integrated into the OS, seems to crash a lot less and just works.

Don't you have to pay to get group video calling on Skype? Group chats could work on FaceTime but Apple probably won't do it as iOS devices probably wouldn't be able to handle it, at least not at the moment (don't think you can do Skype multi calls on iOS).

Another reason I hate Skype is the iOS app, it never seems to work because for some reason they force you to wait for your chats to update before you can do anything on it, which usually takes forever.

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
This is my point exactly. Stick with Lion forever. Your disabling a major portion of the way the new OS works and there going to continue to ad to it.

Just today I'm reading about 10.7.5 so there not exactly abandoning Lion just yet. No rush.

I'm hoping to gain a bit of performance from it. Snow Leopard added performance on top of Leopard although not many new features. I know Mountain Lion's focus isn't performance in the same way Snow Leopard's was, but even if it only offers a modest bump up, I'll take it.

Plus, one way or another, I want it, since in Mountain Lion, there is an option in Mission Control preferences to ungroup windows so they're not all weird hard to use like the current layout of the stacked grouping in Lion.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Don't count on a noticeable performance bump. I do notice scrolling in safari is nicer, but I don't know how much of that is either psychological or the fact that I recently installed the OS. Other than that, it's exactly the same.

Startup (on my SSD) does seem faster though. It's as fast as my iPhone.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
I predict that you will keep saying that until the first time when something you thought was lost either by not saving or by thinking you had overwritten gets saved by auto save and versions.

Never had that happen in the past, and no interest in putting up with the arrogance of autosave on the offchance that it happens one day ... and even if it did, it would probably be in something that didn't support autosave - irony in more ways than one. Instead I've just been using Windows 7 since two weeks after Lion dropped, and it has never done me any wrong.

Troy2000

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
To completely remove the Notification Center (and the menu bar item), run the following two commands in Terminal:

sudo launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent
launchctl remove com.apple.notificationcenterui.agent

One is likely to produce an error stating "launchctl remove error: No such process", however this can be ignored. :3

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
OP, you sound like you're stuck in the past. Especially with your version 2 Skype.

Why will you even bother upgrading? Do us all a favour and don't bother with it.

On the other hand, I think NC is going to be great on the Mac. Certainly a very useful feature.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
To completely remove the Notification Center (and the menu bar item), run the following two commands in Terminal:

One is likely to produce an error stating "launchctl remove error: No such process", however this can be ignored. :3

Sweet. Thanks. Any idea on how to get Safari 5 style tabs back in Safari 6?

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States

Awesome! Finally someone posting something helpful and relevant to my question rather than telling me to just adapt to what Apple thinks is best.

I had a feeling it would be something loaded into launchd, although I don't have developer access so I couldn't look myself. Thanks a ton for this info!

OP, you sound like you're stuck in the past. Especially with your version 2 Skype.

Why will you even bother upgrading? Do us all a favour and don't bother with it.

On the other hand, I think NC is going to be great on the Mac. Certainly a very useful feature.
Outstanding. :| I know I'm stuck in the past, that's because I don't like the look of the "future" and where things are going. And yes, I use version 2 Skype. They wrecked the interface in version 5. Not to mention it's much more bloated and uses more resources. The interface alone makes it unusable but I also don't appreciate the performance hit.

I'm going to bother upgrading because I heard there's performance boosts. If I verify this after installing ML I'll certainly stick with it for the performance alone. I would revert to Snow Leopard but unfortunately it can't be installed on my computer.

And yes, NC does look nice. Unfortunately I can't use it since it won't integrate with Skype 2.8. After taking an in depth look at it, I'd actually prefer it. But where everything I use stands right now is that it supports Growl or doesn't support Growl. It will take a while before things support NC so I'd still need Growl anyways. And Skype 2.8 will never support NC, which would be the main thing preventing me from using it.

So if NC is going to be a feature I can't use, I don't want it sitting there taking up resources for no reason. Like Growl I want to be able to turn it off if I don't want it. And I mean completely off. Not just to where I don't see any notifications. Off to the point that it's process is gone and doesn't shop up in top or ps or Activity Monitor.

Sweet. Thanks. Any idea on how to get Safari 5 style tabs back in Safari 6?

This is the next thing I want as well... Although it'd probably just be easier to install Safari 5 into ML. And yes, before anyone argues with me, this is possible. There's even a project somewhere that allows you to install multiple versions of Safari, even older ones, onto your system.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
This is the next thing I want as well... Although it'd probably just be easier to install Safari 5 into ML. And yes, before anyone argues with me, this is possible. There's even a project somewhere that allows you to install multiple versions of Safari, even older ones, onto your system.

There are many benefits to using 6. It is also much faster. There has to be a simple hidden preference to turn the big tabs off, I just have not found it yet.

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
There are many benefits to using 6. It is also much faster. There has to be a simple hidden preference to turn the big tabs off, I just have not found it yet.

I doubt there's a hidden preference. If there is, that's great. But I doubt it. The direction Apple seems to be going with things is that they think people don't know what they want. They think they know what's best for you. They want to make changes and arbitrary decisions that we all have to deal with.

I hope there will be a way to change it back though.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Quite honestly, if Skype decided to disable logins via 2.8 tomorrow, the fact that OP would be SOL would make me laugh just a little bit. Seriously, I laugh at people who are so stuck in the past that they can't even manage small changes. Huge changes are one thing, like Windows 7 > Windows 8 and Metro, but the OP is just being bullheaded.

atMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2011
I just deleted the app out of CoreServices. Been running like that in DP3-4 and now GM. No problems.

----------

I did that, it would still return if I did a permissions fix and rebooted.

superriku11

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
United States
Quite honestly, if Skype decided to disable logins via 2.8 tomorrow, the fact that OP would be SOL would make me laugh just a little bit. Seriously, I laugh at people who are so stuck in the past that they can't even manage small changes. Huge changes are one thing, like Windows 7 > Windows 8 and Metro, but the OP is just being bullheaded.

Metro sucks worse. The fact the replaced the start menu with it makes practically the whole OS unusable.

Either way, I still hate Skype 5. The interface is terrible compared to Skype 2.8. And it's bloated mostly in memory usage but sometime in CPU as well. Skype 2.8 uses around 100 MB and less than 2% CPU when I'm not on a call. Skype 5 uses more than 10% CPU regularly, and close to 300 MB at times.

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
Metro sucks worse. The fact the replaced the start menu with it makes practically the whole OS unusable.

Either way, I still hate Skype 5. The interface is terrible compared to Skype 2.8. And it's bloated mostly in memory usage but sometime in CPU as well. Skype 2.8 uses around 100 MB and less than 2% CPU when I'm not on a call. Skype 5 uses more than 10% CPU regularly, and close to 300 MB at times.

Metro is actually great on Tablets, but it sucks on anything without a touch screen. I think 99% of customers who upgrade are going to disable it after an hour or two, if they know how.

vegeto2k222

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
if you used

is there any way to re-enable notification center after?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.