Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RVspidey

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
this is a thought i've been having..

Many people aren't really sure wether they should go with 100 GB or maybe 200 GB for their windows partiton, but isn't it possible to just use 32 GB (or whatever is enough for windows 7 to funktion with drivers etc.) and all the games / photos / whatever is saved on the OSX partition? i mean you can see the drive in "my computer" ..

as in : using windows 7, but for example installing steam windows version on the OSX partition (while you're still using windows 7) and game trough that (so you don't have like 200 GB windows partition, and 500 GB OSX partition, but combine it all to only have like 725GB osx and 30 GB windows 7 partition)

xpcker

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
sure you can but you need the first:

1. partition in ntfs for windows (like 20gb)
2. partition in ntfs for data in common (200gb forexample)
3. partition in extender journaled for mac os (80gb is fine)

so you pu both os data in the 2. and you need paragon to read the ntfs data from mac.

you can also use fat32 with no paragon but files larger than 4gb wontbe able to store there

cheers!

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
sure you can but you need the first:

1. partition in ntfs for windows (like 20gb)
2. partition in ntfs for data in common (200gb forexample)
3. partition in extender journaled for mac os (80gb is fine)

so you pu both os data in the 2. and you need paragon to read the ntfs data from mac.

you can also use fat32 with no paragon but files larger than 4gb wontbe able to store there

cheers!

I was thinking of a different setup that may work with a more recent exFat. I think the OP could create a Windows partition ~ 20gb for Windows 7 and create an OS X HFS partition for OS X and then allocate the rest to an exFat partition.

Both OS X, assuming it's a more recent release, and Windows 7 can read and write to exFat. So it should work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.