Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glowd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
I have used Logoist and it is quite fine; it really isn't prefect, but I can't complain it works nicely.

Thanks! Have you compared this with the other two? Is Art Text still in active development? Last update is nearly a year old and nothing on the belight forums...

I have checked the logoist forum, there seem to be some minor problems with 1.0 but the developer promised a quick fix next week

Glowd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
After playing with the demo of logoist for a while I went forward and purchased it. What can I say, it is stunning! There's still room for improvement (path editing is annoying) but from the forums several updates are on the way. Here is the link to the demo (it is a bit hard to find on the website): http://downloads.avisnocturna.com/latest/Logoist%20Demo.zip

I've played with the art text demo, too. Seems to be OK, but much more limited. On the plus side it comes with more samples. But layer handling and especially the effects are much more limited. Basically, you can add bevels and borders and that's it. That's the plus side of logoist: much more configureable effects. Both are currently available from the Macapp Store at the same price (19$)

macjolt

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
All those solutions seem to offer pre-made logos that offer little to no difference between anyone who purchases them. Do youself a favor, pick up Illustrator and learn how to use it.

Glowd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
All those solutions seem to offer pre-made logos that offer little to no difference between anyone who purchases them. Do youself a favor, pick up Illustrator and learn how to use it.

Illustrator is much pricier and does not offer bevel etc. effects like these products...sure it is much more versatile for general design work!

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I just saw Logoist elsewhere tonight and picked up a copy through App store. In my initial look and use, though not extensive, it looks like something that will be helpful for what I need.

AvisNocturna

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Essenheim, Germany
I just saw Logoist elsewhere tonight and picked up a copy through App store. In my initial look and use, though not extensive, it looks like something that will be helpful for what I need.

Thanks! If you got any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact us!

----------

Version 1.0.2 of Logoist has been approved, here is what's new:

- Enhanced for Retina Display of the new MacBook Pro
- Improved reflection effect including a new wave effect
- Better path handling
- Image effects added
- User interface improvements
- Option to delete saved templates
- Options to turn of filters when moving handles
- New Barrel distorter added
- More Patterns added
- Improved Preset preview
- Size to fit canvas function added
- Critical bug fix which could cause Logoist to hang when editing a Text Box
- Several other bug fixes

Link: Mac App Store

Hope you like it!

Glowd79

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
When exporting a PNG with more than 72 DPI the image is enlarged but Preview.app still shows 72 DPI. Is this a bug?

AvisNocturna

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Essenheim, Germany
If anyone is interested, here will be included in V1.1 of Logoist:

- Completely new path editing tools
- New background object and background filters which can be easily added from the toolbar
- New layers (arcs, arrows etc), all completely configureable
- New generated patterns to create unique effects
- Video tutorials
- Countless user interface improvements

We currently have scheduled it for August 2012!

Attachments

• 1_2012-07-09.png
    1_2012-07-09.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 161

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Hi! What functions are you missing to give you some more artistic abilities in logoist?

I have no idea, my art skills are about as good as mentally challenged 3 year old. I shouldn't say that, it isn't true, I have come up with some logos over the years that came out OK.

I made this one a few years ago :
Arkham%20Logo%20Small.jpg

I thought it came out well; I started with Arkham Technology, or A.T. and thought of an @ (at sign). Then realized that if I took the A and used the T as the cross bar, it made the inside of the at sign . . . some photo magic and blam there it was.

I've been using Logoist to make one for this company :
InvertedBits

So far I'm not happy with the InvertedBits logo, but I'm getting closer. I would like the ability to use a vector program to create outlines of what I want and then import that into Logoist so that I can add effects to it. I just haven't found the right inspiration yet for it, what really makes me feel good about the logo.

OOOOHhhhhh maybe that would be a nice feature; logo planning. Often I have bout 5 to 10 different logos for the one I'm working on. I would like to display them all at the same time (maybe in thumb nail views) and be able to make note about what I like and don't like about each one. Maybe in a tree format, so that I can see, here are the base logos I started with, here are the features I pulled from each one, and how I got to the final design.

Another, very useful feature, would be a way to take a logo and "Save Steps". Basically save off a text file that tells you how to create the logo step by step. Too many times I've built something, came back to it weeks later, and forgot how I got the effect I was trying to achieve. If there was a way to recover those steps it would be killer.

Thanks for the app, it is very good. :D

AvisNocturna

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Essenheim, Germany
Hi!

You can use any vector program with Logoist. Simply export the vector art as a PDF and drag it to the Logoist canvas.

A future version of Logoist will include a feature like stances where you can save the current variation of a logo and continue working on it. This way, you can save different layouts or coloring and quickly switch between them.

AvisNocturna

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Essenheim, Germany
Here is a shot of Logoist 1.1 showing new rulers (finally!), backgrounds and the new path editing tools:

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-22 um 13.35.18.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2012-07-22 um 13.35.18.png
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 184
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.