Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
heres the original post from 9to5 mac they say there wont be any hardware with ML.. i am so upset about this but i think theres hope because last year i bought a macbook air when lion came out and they werent in store stock till two days after so theres still hope

http://9to5mac.com/2012/07/15/apple...c-MacAllDay+(9+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence)

After reading MacRumor's summary, and then the original article from 9-5, I went back to July 2011 (using the Archive link at the bottom) and looked at how close the rumors last year were. A week or so before Lion's release, it was speculated that Mac Pros and white MacBooks were going to be released. Then it changed a few times and then finally a few days before the rumors about the MacBook Airs was correct. So hopefully by the end of this week we will know more.

Also, I fully believe an Ivy Bridge iMac is just waiting for the right timing to be released. It's spec-bumped, maybe even has no optical drive (like 2010 Mini to 2011 Mini), but its just waiting. I feel that this is the case due to the GeekBench benchmarks of an iMac with a i7 3770. Mountain Lion is the best time to release it. Like Tim Cook said, they got an exciting year ahead, and what better way to keep the hype going after the Retina MacBook Pro last month than refreshed iMac, Mac Mini, Mountain Lion, and then iPhone 5, smaller iPad, and iOS6 in September/October and then a supposed Apple TV by the end of the year?

I'm optimistic about iMac and Mac Mini for July 25th.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
It didn't take forever to download Lion on release day, so I don't get why people are talking about "8-hour" downloads. Can't wait to upgrade my Retina MBP. :cool:

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
If that's true, they have a lot of work to do.

If they ship 10.8 GM in its current state, then that's going to be downright embarrassing. There are so many graphical and aesthetic glitches it's not even funny. There are issues with kernel panics on Nvidia hardware, issues with sleep affecting nearly every pre-2012 Mac Pro, ColorSync support is broken, etc.

Their developer forums are literally overflowing with complaints, and every single bug report I've filed (over 23 in total) has been flagged as a duplicate of another bug.

There has to be a second GM. The first is simply too broken. You don't release something with that many "known issues" and confirmed bugs as a retail shipping product. If that's what we have to look forward to- crippled and broken GM releases with patches a few months later (where something is always broken all the time)- then I question the stability of OS X as a reliable platform and Apple's ability to actually push out working code.

-SC

ridesdeepsnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Lake Tahoe, CA
But generally if your computer is a 2007/2008 or older you most likely will not be able to upgrade because Apple felt that it "was not worth their time" to make an update for those with 32 bit video drivers...

Awesome, but I am sure if Apple truly decides not to do this a hack will be made to override this or maybe a lone software engineer will write the code to allow for the update to mountain lion.

I could care less about the OS upgrade I just want the extra features, nap time & the new dictation are wonderful features.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The US have it really good. $19.99. SO you buy a $20 iTunes card, hopefully on special and you're al good.

Us Aussies though have to pay $20.99 so we have to get the $30 iTunes card for it. I bought my $30 card for 20% off. Only cost me $26. $26 is still a very good price if you look at it that way. And I have $9 left over for some nice Apps for the Mac.

Is this a bad thing?
No. Just wanted to point this out.

blueicedj

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2007
The US have it really good. $19.99. SO you buy a $20 iTunes card, hopefully on special and you're al good.

Us Aussies though have to pay $20.99 so we have to get the $30 iTunes card for it. I bought my $30 card for 20% off. Only cost me $26. $26 is still a very good price if you look at it that way. And I have $9 left over for some nice Apps for the Mac.

Is this a bad thing?

You know you can just buy it from the Mac App Store *it'll use your credit/debit card info*

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Is this a bad thing?

there is still sales tax....so a 20 GC won't be enough

also, why not just use your cc?

ridesdeepsnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Lake Tahoe, CA

Is this a bad thing?

Pay the tax on your credit card, after you use your Gift Card it will ask you for a payment of $00.99

Come on McFly, think..........

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I bought the retina macbook, so I understand I get the update for free. So do I have to do anything when ML is released, or will I just see the install instead of purchase option when I launch the MacAppstore and click on the OSX ML app?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does it really matter? It's coming out this month for sure, I can't wait to receive iMessages on my mac :D

Why don't you have it yet, then?

Apple released it as a public beta several months ago. IDK if they ever updated it though... that beta version sucked (it was incredibly slow. It was determined to download every single iMessage you'd ever sent or received before it allowed you to type a new one. Also, it showed you your oldest one, first, which for me was over a year old and with someone I message a hundred times a day. So... yeah, that beta sucked. They made the download occur in the background though, in ML, and they download your most recent ones first and then download prior ones as it's able... and it doesn't block you from typing new messages.)

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I took a day and installed Mountain Lion on my 2011 Quad i7 MBP, and also upgraded to Final Cut Pro X, CS6, Parallels, Acad & Inventor 2013, all at once.

It's like a whole new computer.

No bugs yet, just noticeably fast like Snow Leopard was, but with a lot of nice new features.

I may consider upgrading only to even-numbered releases from now on.
Like Star Trek movies, they're just better.

Last edited:

CarlHeanerd

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
Adams County, PA
I've always been slow to adopt apples newest os and os updates. Only retarded or new os x users adopt early updates. But I will never upgrade to mountain lion. I don't need sand boxing or fewer features or iOS like options. Screw apple.

MacRumors needs to return the downvote button. Clearly you haven't had a chance to get your hands on the new OS yet, but I can assure you that there are many more changes and refinements under the hood than the additional "iOS goodies" Apple has sprinkled on top. I have been using this as my primary OS for a few months now and my computer has gotten a breath of fresh life as far as speed and feeling lightweight. Don't expect any major overhauls for interface or core technologies until OS XI, if that ever exists.

And hey, if you don't want the new features, by all means don't use them. You have that option, unlike another company's competing operating system.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Woah, you and me are just two peas in an iPod!

FTFY

Why would you put peas in an iPod? Disgusting! :p

Mountain Lion is incredibly fast blows away Lion, a must upgrade from the get go.

I have been using this as my primary OS for a few months now and my computer has gotten a breath of fresh life as far as speed and feeling lightweight.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that; as much as I love Lion, it seemed a bit... lethargic from the beginning. I'm hoping Mountain Lion is to Lion as Snow Leopard was to Leopard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.