Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F4C4

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
@it.will.change.again.soon.com

Hey, don't bother getting my e-mail, because it will change soon...

@me.com... @icloud.com... @it.will.change.again.soon.com

I wish I could just have an @mac.com which makes more sense.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
What a mess!

1. me.com is cleaner than icloud.com.
2. First a transition to me.com from mac.com. Too many transitions.
3. Will they consolidate Apple IDs finally!!

I have had a mac.com email address since iTools since around 2000/2001 when it was first introduced. So when the iTunes store initially launched my mac.com address was my Apple ID. With the move to MobileMe, that became my primary email but mac.com was still my Apple ID. Now with iCloud, I still have both but mac.com is my Apple ID and the only thing I use that for.

If it becomes icloud.com then make that my Apple ID and transition all my purchase history to it. And be done with the transitions!!

Gave up @mac.com at the time as none of it was working and not worth the money.

Never liked @me and totally dislike @icloud. (as will many people I predict)

Apple you are messing it up even more!!!!!!!

Go back to the mac (literally!)

Time to get a vanity e-mail and forward :-(

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Don't understand what all the fuss is about. It's just brand awareness - an @icloud.com email popping up in your inbox will folk knowing the brand like @gmail.com did.

And we don't have to use it. As far as I'm aware, @me.com will be available for new users too.

Finally, they'll never get rid of the legacy @mac.com aliases for original .Mac users. Sure iCloud is free now, but when I signed up for .Mac, it wasn't, so I paid for my @mac.com alias.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
GREAT! So now I have alter all my docs and business cards with another address. Again.

HomeAlone.jpg

newnomad

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2003
I understand .mac .me and .icloud will act as aliases. but does this mean that in the near future people who sign up cannot get a .me anymore? So if you want a short and sweet .me, and dont use icoud yet, you'd better sign up now to claim your legacy .me?

nydennis

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Huh? When clicking the option "Create an Apple ID" and then choosing "Ge a free iCloud email address", the alias field ends with "@me.com".

Odd, I updated the computer and it did tell me the nydennis@icloud was in use but after I restarted it now comes up as .me and won't let me repeat it on the macbook.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Isn't it a pain in the arse to have to change your email address every couple of years? The sheer number of places I have submitted mine for one reason or another is staggering. Hundreds. No way I took note of even most of them either.

Apple should offer a guaranteed decade(s) stable email address feature. I know plenty of folks who keep AOL (gag) just to keep a stable email address. Where is the lifetime fee for that? Cemetaries do it. :D

Rocketman

No need to change your email address. Anyone who has an @me.com email address will continue to have that for the foreseeable future (presumably until Apple itself fails, because the negative PR of ending that isn't worth the small amount of money to keep it active). Anyone who had an @mac.com email address still does as well, like me. This is simply for new subscribers, and to keep things consistent, existing users also get one, which is simply an alias to their existing address.

jW

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
I don't get why tech-savvy people would use an email service with a domain name that someone else own and control. Especially Apple with their track record. I had a good @mac.com address once but sold it since I decided to use my own domain name.

A domain name is less than $10 a year and it's yours forever. You are in complete control and you can change provider without changes your email address. Ever.

I use my own domain name with Google Apps right now, It is a good service considering the cost (no cost but - of course - ads if I use the web interface). But if I one day find that Google is doing a little too much evil, then I can change to some other provider. And none of my contacts would notice it.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
I will wait to jump boats...

... as of now, I have first.lastname @me.com - nice and short. I will wait until Apple comes up with an even longer service name. Something like iComplementory or so. Then, I can impress my friends and family with that awesome super long email first.lastname @icomplementory.apple. Now, that works as a prank to give it to people on a touch phone, especially if they are beyond 50: "You want to have my email address? Sure, get your phone, I'll tell you." And when they are ready, you start to quickly spell a 50-letter address. That is fun to watch. If you get them to break out in sweatty hives in under 15sec, you might score a new record! :D

zombiecakes

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
Pretty sure youll be able to keep the same address forever, it would be foolish to disable emails as they are like phone numbers and used to receive important information/bills. I think even ISP's let you keep access to your email after youve canceled.

And I like the @me domain, its one of the best if not the best email domains you can get, theres no brand recognition with it and it makes sense as an email, Im glad I got one when I could

Last edited:

gwest

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2004
@me.com has ZERO name recognition. I've had it since it came out, and live in NY. No one but Apple employees know what it is, and whenever I give it out I have to repeat it multiple times because no one believes it's real, and then I have to explain what it is.

The 2 letter ME is not worth the trouble and takes longer than one with name recognition.

@iCloud makes sense, and people already know what it is.

The real key is to finally be able to merge all Apple ID's under the one name. THAT would be very useful.

@Mac was good too, but @iCloud I think will be easier like Yahoo/AOL/Google are.

I disagree. Anyone who didn't know "me" is just as ignorant of "iCloud". At least there was no misspelling of "me" (eyecloud.com)

AMG63

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
If that is the case why change everyone's email to @icloud.com why not just leave it has it is and use that has your login for there social network?
Facebook has email and it is @Facebook.com

If that were the case, I don't think they would be automatically generating @icloud emails for people that already have @me addresses.

My point is that Apple is clearly disassociating www.me.com and associating www.icloud.com as your portal for email, calendar, contacts, etc. A domain name with as much value as me.com is not going to turn into a redirect or simply be abandoned. I would bet that it's going to be used for something big, and what better name for a website / application that manages your personal social things than me.com.

The iOS6 shared photo stream is a major clue of what Apple could be slowly bringing to the market.

Shared-Photo-Stream.jpeg

rockland

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
I'm sorry but this is control-freakery gone mad.

As others have noted, how about putting their energy into actually making the user experience, you know, simpler (like their beautiful hardware) rather than dragging us kicking and screaming through (yet) another rebranding.

A good start would be untangling the rat's nest of conflicting user/Apple IDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.