Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted in our ongoing iOS 6 Beta 3 discussion thread, it appears that AT&T will be restricting and possibly charging for the new FaceTime-over-3G-network feature in iOS 6. Prior to iOS 6, FaceTime was a Wi-Fi-only service.

The following error message appears for AT&T customers in iOS 6 when trying to activate FaceTime over cellular networks:

facetime3g.jpg

The error message is similar to one given to AT&T customers who wish to enable data tethering under iOS. AT&T requires users to pay for a separate tethering data plan to enable that feature.

At the time of the original iOS 6 announcement, we had reported that many carriers were quiet of the prospect of allowing FaceTime over their cellular networks. An AT&T spokesperson said that they were "working closely with Apple on features disclosed for iOS 6, and we'll share more information with our customers as we get closer to launch." We are reaching out to AT&T for an update or statement on their plans.

9to5Mac also notes the same behavior on AT&T networks and found the same error message did not appear when trying to activate FaceTime over Verizon's 3G networks.

Update: AT&T issued this statement, which is very similar to the one issued back in June:
We're working closely with Apple on the new developer build of iOS 6 and
we'll share more information with our customers as it becomes available.

Article Link: AT&T to Restrict or Charge for FaceTime Over 3G/4G in iOS 6? [Updated With AT&T Statement]

coasterswim

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
I struggle to see how AT&T is going to be able to sell this to its subscribers as a premium feature that would make them want to pay for it. Personal hotspot is one thing, but this?

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
It worked just fine on Verizon because Verizon doesn't have separate hotspot plans like AT&T does.

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect AT&T to shaft customers with this. Just wanna clarify why Verizon users weren't seeing issues.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Oh my god. ATT is the devil! Seriously! If I pay for 5 gigs (which I do) I will use my 5 gigs HOW I PLEASE! (includes tethering, so cool your jets on that one).

US wireless is the worst.

lowonthe456

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
It's my data, I pay for it, let me use in anyway that I choose!

Yep and if ATT thinks I'm paying extra they can kiss my ass. I hope to god T-MO gets the iPhone this year. I'll take my 4 iPhone family somewhere else. I have not had any issues with ATT service wise, but this will push me to another carrier.

flgator346

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
MONEY MONEY MONEY!! That is all it is.... Hopefully when iOS 6 is officially released, this will be all changed!

pbush25

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
I'll say it again here for discussion purposes...

I posted the same thing on the 9to5 forums; as soon as they posted that story, I attempted to make FaceTime calls with my iPhone that was updated to beta 3 today. I had no issues placing and receiving 4 separate FaceTime calls over 4G this evening. Maybe it's just my phone, I don't know. But it worked fine for me.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
I would like to say that no one could be so stupid as to charge for this but this is AT&T. I'm glad I dumped them as my carrier.

drummingcraig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
"Armpit of the South"
I wonder how this may affect those of us who are jailbroken and can use FaceTime over cellular via apps such as 3G Unrestrictor.

In any event I think this is a total crap move by AT&T. Double fees on data...whats next...having to pay a fee to use my data to access my email? :rolleyes:

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
the only thing worse than this.....

.... will be reading ATT's excuse as to why they are doing it.

Deplorable. I pay for unlimited data. I rarely hit 2 gigs. Not a chance they will dime me for facetime, as it is not their feature.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I posted the same thing on the 9to5 forums; as soon as they posted that story, I attempted to make FaceTime calls with my iPhone that was updated to beta 3 today. I had no issues placing and receiving 4 separate FaceTime calls over 4G this evening. Maybe it's just my phone, I don't know. But it worked fine for me.

try resetting network settings
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/15263082/

if you don't mind losing the ability.

arn

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Honestly I kind of LIKE having this broken out so I have the chance to not pay for it.

The fact that Verizon now makes you pay for unlimited voice and texts no matter what you want makes them a non-starter for me. I kind of like the idea of a carrier that lets me not pay for certain things. (And this certainly is one of those things that I wouldn't pay for.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.