Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ninja9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Anyone else have a very strange issue where Bonjour stops working on their AirPort Extreme (3rd gen) router?

The issue appears to be intermittent in that I have no idea what's actually causing this. Even when Bonjour fails, the internet itself continues to work without interruption. I only notice that Bonjour has failed because I try to use something that relies on it, for example:

- AirPlay can no longer find my AirPort Express
- In Finder, if I try to connect to my MacMini from my MacBook Air, the connection fails (for both AFP and screen sharing)
- Airport Utility can no longer connect to either of my routers

But, the internet continues to work without issue. The only fix I've found is to restart the AirPort Extreme (using Airport Utility 5.6 which must use something other than Bonjour to find the router). Once restarted, it will work for a few days before failing again.

Anyone else experience this issue, or have any theories?

My home setup:
- AirPort Extreme, 3rd gen, 7.6.1
- AirPort Express n, 1st gen, 7.6.1 which joins the network created by the Extreme
- Mac Mini connected through Ethernet to the Extreme
- MacBook Air connected through wireless

jahala

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2008
I have this problem with an Airport Extreme Base Station. It is the generation before the current one at the time of this post. Using wireless, clicking on the shared disk in the Finder sidebar results in a failed connection. My router is named AEBS. I can connect to the shared drive if I use the Connect to Server... option in Finder and use the following address:

afp://aebs.local/

If I plug in the network cable, it all works as it should. If I reset the router, it will work for a while until the problem randomly appears. This router is in Taiwan and the laptop connected to its wireless network has this problem. Interestingly, using Back to My Mac I see AEBS in the finder sidebar of my macbook air in the USA. I can connect my macbook air to it normally by clicking on AEBS in the Finder sidebar. It appears the problem is just Bonjour over wireless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.