Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jinsou

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Yeah I'm pretty excited about the rumors of apple launching a "retina display/Siri/iTunes integrated/whatever else tv" And yeah I'll probably go out and get it. I currently own an HP Branded 32'' tv. And it's like from 2005, and it works like a charm, it was built by sharp.

I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter.

So what do you think Apple's plan for the TV business is? Somewhat like the Mac Pro?( and by that I mean it's the least they seem to care about when it comes to updating ) I mean people screw their Tv's to walls, do whole room changes to hook it up, it even feels like a pain just talking about it...

So.. Yearly change or maybe 2-3 years refresh?

Thoughts >>>

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Probably a 2-3 year cycle for a HDTV. People don't upgrade every year but that doesn't matter as they don't upgrade their computers every year either.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I think they will upgrade as newer/better technology becomes available
No, people don't upgrade TV's every year, but new customers will want to buy the latest technology
Nobody will be forced to upgrade

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
I think they will upgrade as newer/better technology becomes available
No, people don't upgrade TV's every year, but new customers will want to buy the latest technology
Nobody will be forced to upgrade

As new customers buy the newer versions it will get to the point that there will be a different portion of the customer base wanting to upgrade their version of the TV every year. Provided this becomes a substantial amount then that would give Apple the justification to release a yearly TV upgrade.

Nitrocide

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2005
Bristol, UK
Yeah, I could see them updating new tech as it comes along as they do with iPhone/iPad/MacBook's etc. Probably supporting major software updates for a few years. If I still had my original G5 Powermac it would still be useable today, but stuck on leopard.

KeithJenner

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2010
I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter

Most people?

I very much doubt it.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
My dad just updated his CRT TV this month. He is a bit of a dinosaur though. I tend to upgrade all my tech the same. When it's either broken or no longer current. Eg to slow or missing latest features I really want/need. Mostly though if its still working I just move it to some other part of the house or pass it on to someone who needs it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I just upgraded our tube tv that we have owned since 1993. It still worked great but technology has passed it by and it was time to upgrade. I plan to keep this hdtv till it shows it's age. That should be at least 10 years or until they change the broadcast standards to some newer standard that it cannot receive.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
and that's why a lot of people aren't buying the apple television rumors.

as far as retina display, most people already have one. at the distance you watch your TV from, it qualifies as retina.
a 50" 1080 becomes retina in less than 7 feet. source

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
Yeah I'm pretty excited about the rumors of apple launching a "retina display/Siri/iTunes integrated/whatever else tv" And yeah I'll probably go out and get it. I currently own an HP Branded 32'' tv. And it's like from 2005, and it works like a charm, it was built by sharp.

I don't believe one needs to research to know that people don't just go out changing their tv's every year like most people do with their ipods/ipads/even macbooks/ and everything apple for that matter.

So what do you think Apple's plan for the TV business is? Somewhat like the Mac Pro?( and by that I mean it's the least they seem to care about when it comes to updating ) I mean people screw their Tv's to walls, do whole room changes to hook it up, it even feels like a pain just talking about it...

So.. Yearly change or maybe 2-3 years refresh?

Thoughts >>>

Um,TV manufacturers release new/updated models every year.You're saying Apple shouldn't??

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
All other TV manufacturers are on a yearly upgrade cycle. I'm not sure Apple would have to be, but I'm also not sure there is a reason why it would be unusual either.

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I think they are looking at making more money off of content than hardware.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The issue isn't the model cycle.

TVs are pretty much a commodity right now. You may prefer Samsung, and your neighbour may like Sony and your brother-in-law likes Panasonic, but they all do the same thing.

People are assuming:

1. People won't buy a TV just because it has an Apple logo on it. It has to be some kind of game changer.

2. If it is a game changer, there's the problem that most people who might be interested in it already have one or more large-screen TVs.

Through all the months of speculation I've yet to see an idea that seems both compelling enough to be a game-changer and possible. I am not for a minute convinced that people want to control their TV by voice or gesture, or want to use it for FaceTime. And I don't believe that Apple can deliver unique content.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Probably a 2-3 year cycle for a HDTV. People don't upgrade every year but that doesn't matter as they don't upgrade their computers every year either.

I don't know a single person who is on a 2-3 year cycle to upgrade their TVs.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I don't know a single person who is on a 2-3 year cycle to upgrade their TVs.

Why would they? In recent times the only incentive to buying a new TV was largely size or adding a second unit.

With the advent of so called Smart TV now there's a wider feature-set that users may be accustomed to and 3 years will make a big difference in the "smart" capabilities of the TV.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
The more Apple products on the market, the more "forced" yearly upgrades we will see. That's how Apple's dollar business works. Will be a pain to be stuck in the Apple ecosystem when you own 5 Apple products that need yearly upgrade in order to function well together.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Um,TV manufacturers release new/updated models every year.You're saying Apple shouldn't??

Yep. Within 12 months of my last TV purchase, Samsung had made two updates to the model. If anything TV manufactures are changing things at a more rapid clip than many CE markets.

----------

The more Apple products on the market, the more "forced" yearly upgrades we will see. That's how Apple's dollar business works. Will be a pain to be stuck in the Apple ecosystem when you own 5 Apple products that need yearly upgrade in order to function well together.

You dont own a single Apple product do you? None of them are on a "forced" yearly upgrade schedule. Apple products receive longer free software updates than any competing devices on the market. They also release less new models than every other manufacturer.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Why would they? In recent times the only incentive to buying a new TV was largely size or adding a second unit.

With the advent of so called Smart TV now there's a wider feature-set that users may be accustomed to and 3 years will make a big difference in the "smart" capabilities of the TV.

Sorry, the vast percentage of consumers are not going to swap out a TV every 2-3 years to add features, especially when the large bulk of the Smart features can be had with a $75 Roku box.

ssgrif

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2011
My thoughts are that the new "tv" from apple is a smart tv as as such hardware wise refreshes will be around the 2-3 year cycle, simply because apple will look to provide additional functionality with software updates much like it does today with IOS.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
My TV upgrade policy is...Buy the latest TV ( just done it a Sony Bravia 46" 3D ) for the living room.

Put the older TV in the bedroom.

Wait for the next MAJOR leap forward for the next upgrade. Since I just bought the Sony, and it's state of the art smart etc. I just couldn't justify the new Apple offering for at least a year.

WRP

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Boston

The MOST PEOPLE are stupid. I have a 5 year old Macbook Pro, 2010 Mac Pro (which I upgraded from Dual G5), I skip every other generation of iphone, have a 5 year old ipod and an original iPad. People who upgrade every year just want the newest shiny thing to puff their chest out, they don't NEED that crap. I bet 99% of the people who upgrade their computer every year have ZERO need to actually do so.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.