Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

verizonlogo-150x90.jpg

Verizon today announced earnings for the second quarter of 2012, providing a first glimpse at Apple's iPhone performance during the quarter. During the conference call associated with the earnings release, Verizon announced iPhone sales of 2.7 million for the quarter, down from 3.2 million in the prior quarter.

A quarterly decline in iPhone sales for Verizon is not necessarily a surprise given the typical lull heading toward new hardware launches. And with Apple's iPhone business increasingly coming from international markets, performance of the main U.S. carriers like AT&T and Verizon is less indicative of Apple's overall sales numbers.

Notably, the 2.7 million iPhones represent 45% of Verizon's total smartphone sales of 5.9 million units, down from roughly 50% in the first quarter and 55% in the fourth quarter of 2011. Apple's share of Verizon smartphone sales does, however, remain above its low point of 35% seen in the third quarter of last year just before the launch of the iPhone 4S.

Apple will report its performance for the third fiscal quarter (second calendar quarter) of 2012 next Tuesday, July 24.

Article Link: Apple's Share of Verizon Smartphone Sales Slips to 45%

EyeTack

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
MA / USA
Not surprised. VZ isn't exactly giving away iPhones, and none of the older models are on their network.

<snore>

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Yep pretty much standard here....new iPhone rumors are in full effect and everyone knows a new phone is coming in about 3 months. Not surprising. Plus those #s will be made up in the PAYGO market from Cricket/Virgin/Boost and hopefully one day T-Mobile.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
Besides the fact that Verizon is posting record profits and continues to raise prices. Bless government allowed duopolies!

Agreed. AT&T and Verizon both suck. I have been with both. I slightly prefer AT&T but I'm going to give Sprint a good hard look when the next iPhone comes out.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Pretty standard to see the sales numbers do this in this portion of the product cycle. Honestly surprised to see it that high when we're ~2 months away from a new device.

johnswilson1

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Poor reporting

Very misleading.

For one, you shouldn't be reporting this quarter to last quarter. Instead you should be reporting this quarter to the same quarter one year ago. Second, this is the end of the cycle for the iPhone 4S. Even my long-ago dead grandmother knows that. Third, even if we did look at the dropoff from the past sequential quarter to this one sales are still remarkably strong. I would even posit that they held much better than other phones released in a similar time period.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Makes sense, many people may be holding out for the next iPhone, Apple usually sees a dip in sales with all of their products when people think a new version might be coming relatively soon.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The real shocker is why are so many people still buying iPhones ahead of the imminent release of the next version and price reduction of the 4 and 4s.

danimal11

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2012
Verizon Sales Force

Verizon sales reps are paid more to sell/push 4G phones. Until Apple comes out with a 4G phone verizon reps wont sell it. Why sell something if it doesnt make you money. Their loyalties are in their pockets. Look at the iPad sales at verizon vs android based platforms, I bet its leaning more toward iPad b/c its a 4G product, hence get them paid! All in all im disappointed with the arrangements provided by ALL providers but if I had to choose I would go with VZW, and just voice my loyalties. Cant wait for the iPhone 5 aka the Galaxy killer!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Why is this a surprise? As several posters before mentioned, big durrrrrrr to this article.

As for the Samsung Galaxy S3... Yeah, one of my android loving co-workers got it. Having had the OG Droid & HTC Thunderbolt for several years, I was considering going back as I wouldn't mind LTE in Los Angeles. However, upon testing out my co-worker's Galaxy S3, the dang screen is still laggy as hell and the virtual keyboard can't keep up with my typing (I type fast). Seriously? Dual 1.5Ghz processors and the darned thing can't keep up with my thumb texting?

My iPhone 4s was (and is) the only phone that has 0 lag and can keep up with my insane typing as if it was nothing. I guess LTE can wait. I like the size of the iPhone 4s as well, I don't want a tablet.

That said, I had to root my OG Droid and super overclock it to make it even usable. Same for the HTC Thunderbolt. Even when overclocked to the max using ASOP roms, those phones don't even come close to the iPhone 4S in smoothness and keyboard speed.

What really bothered me about Android was... I'm buying a $600-$800 phone and Verizon is going to FORCE adware on me? Verizon Android phones come with pre-loaded CRAP (gigabytes) that you can't uninstall unless you root. No. You are NOT going to make money off of a device I paid for by forcing adware on me that I don't want.

iPhone all the way.

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Does this mean the general population of smartphone buyers are getting smart enough to actually check the internet to see if a product is about to be refreshed?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
The real shocker is why are so many people still buying iPhones ahead of the imminent release of the next version and price reduction of the 4 and 4s.

Yeah, I never got that. Companies have to be snickering loudly watching uninformed customers purchase tech about to expire. Then again, I don't think a lot of people care. Most of my relatives don't, and a lot of people I know even got the iPhone 3gs because it was "free."

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Why is this a surprise? As several posters before mentioned, big durrrrrrr to this article.

As for the Samsung Galaxy S3... Yeah, one of my android loving co-workers got it. Having had the OG Droid & HTC Thunderbolt for several years, I was considering going back as I wouldn't mind LTE in Los Angeles. However, upon testing out my co-worker's Galaxy S3, the dang screen is still laggy as hell and the virtual keyboard can't keep up with my typing (I type fast). Seriously? Dual 1.5Ghz processors and the darned thing can't keep up with my thumb texting?

My iPhone 4s was (and is) the only phone that has 0 lag and can keep up with my insane typing as if it was nothing. I guess LTE can wait. I like the size of the iPhone 4s as well, I don't want a tablet.

That said, I had to root my OG Droid and super overclock it to make it even usable. Same for the HTC Thunderbolt. Even when overclocked to the max using ASOP roms, those phones don't even come close to the iPhone 4S in smoothness and keyboard speed.

I have an S3 and a 4S and I agree the 4S feels faster and you can type significantly faster on it. I had to switch to TouchPal immediately and I still have significantly more errors and autocorrecting issues. One thing I really wasn't expecting was how slow it switches apps when you have a lot of them open, even with the 2GB of RAM. Especially with iOS 6, the 4S keeps up in most browser benchmarks to the S3 (Chrome) anyway.

I don't think its fair to say the screen is "laggy as hell" tho. I've been through about 4 androids in the last 4 months and this one is by far the smoothest. It seems to be impacted a lot by widgets, so I just took them all off the home screen. That also improved the horrible battery life I get out of this thing.

Like I said elsewhere, when compared to other Androids, the S3 is the best. But if Apple released this phone all the articles would read "Apple releases worst iPhone yet" and "What has gone wrong at Apple".

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009

If the 4 or 4S suits their needs, why would it matter? It's not like their 4S's lose functionally once the new iPhone is released. Not everyone needs the latest/greatest.

What would be a good cut-off to date to stop buying the current iPhone (just outta curiosity)?

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have an S3 and a 4S and I agree the 4S feels faster and you can type significantly faster on it. I had to switch to TouchPal immediately and I still have significantly more errors and autocorrecting issues. One thing I really wasn't expecting was how slow it switches apps when you have a lot of them open, even with the 2GB of RAM. Especially with iOS 6, the 4S keeps up in most browser benchmarks to the S3 (Chrome) anyway.

I don't think its fair to say the screen is "laggy as hell" tho. I've been through about 4 androids in the last 4 months and this one is by far the smoothest. It seems to be impacted a lot by widgets, so I just took them all off the home screen. That also improved the horrible battery life I get out of this thing.

Like I said elsewhere, when compared to other Androids, the S3 is the best. But if Apple released this phone all the articles would read "Apple releases worst iPhone yet" and "What has gone wrong at Apple".

Thanks for your thoughts - I agree. And you're right. Compared to the Thunderbolt I can't say it's laggy as hell. Nice blog! Reading it now. http://androidswap.blogspot.com/

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Agreed. AT&T and Verizon both suck. I have been with both. I slightly prefer AT&T but I'm going to give Sprint a good hard look when the next iPhone comes out.

LOL Good Luck with that :rolleyes:

I had Sprint for a year a long time ago, couldn't get a signal anywhere besides NYC, dropped them went to AT&T with a company phone. I was happy with AT&T, but then left the company, went to VZ. Well 8 years later and customer service was really frustrating and hard to deal with, and their new insurance policies sucked. Left VZ in 2008 for AT&T with the iPhone 3G and have had every iPhone since, great customer service, good data and voice service, and overall just very happy.

I have had T-Mobile when I worked with the Government, they were worse that Sprint as far as service, and since it was not my phone I never dealt with their customer service, so no opinion there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.