Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in March, the Hickory Daily Record noted that Apple had filed for building permits related to a "tactical data center" to be located at the site of the company's existing data center in Maiden, North Carolina. Our research at the time indicated that the facility was a relatively small building of roughly 20,000 square feet, but it was unclear exactly what it was to be used for.

The Hickory Daily Record now follows up with a new report sharing more details on Apple's plans as culled from additional building permits and planning documents filed in recent weeks.
According to Apple's design plans on file with Catawba County, the new 21,030-square-foot data center, also referred to as a "tactical" data center, will store clusters of servers. Permits filed with the county list the cost of the new 11-room data center at $1,885,129. [..]

The building will have, what appears to be, tight security measures even though it will be located on a site that already has tight security. The building will be equipped with "man trap" security doors at either end that will force a person to be cleared to go through an additional second door to get inside the main building space. The building also will be surrounded with an 8-foot-high chain-link security fence, according to architectural plans.
maiden_tactical_data_center.jpg

New construction at Apple's Maiden, North Carolina data center (Source: Jeremy Detter/Hickory Daily Record)
Apple's plans for the site ultimately include two 500,000 square-foot data center buildings, only one of which has been constructed. Today's report indicates that this new tactical data center, a separate project, will be adjacent to the existing data center without impinging upon space set aside for the second major building.
The architectural site plans show the small data center t-boned to the 500,000-square-foot existing data center. The plans still show the footprint for a larger data center that would run nearly parallel to the existing one and would t-bone the smaller one currently under construction.
Data Center Knowledge takes a closer look at Apple's plans, suggesting that Apple is deploying a modular facility in order to rapidly increase the server capacity at the site, something the company is already doing at its Prineville, Oregon site in advance of more permanent construction.
The building permits for the new Apple tactical MDC don't name a particular provider. But Apple is currently deploying modular data centers from NxGen Modular at its new data center in Prineville, Oregon. NxGen has developed next-generation modular designs, with pre-fabricated components that can be assembled into a complete data center, complete with power, cooling and mechanical rooms.
Apple has yet to comment on its intentions for the new tactical data center facility in Maiden, but the project comes as Apple is pursuing major expansions of its server capabilities in North Carolina, Oregon, and Nevada to help support iCloud and other ventures.

Article Link: Apple Already Pursuing Minor Expansion at North Carolina Data Center

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Tight security, must be keeping the BILLIONS in there!
They probably learned a thing from Fort Knox.

Last edited:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Why would it be called an iPhone 5? It's the 6th iPHONE. Can we please stop spreading misinformation in every macrumors article?

Why can't it be called the iPhone 5?
There is no clear indication as to how apple's naming system works..
For instance, the iPhone "4" could've meant the 4th gen iphone OR a natural sequence of number following the 3GS.
So get off your high horse and move on. it's just a name, you know what he/she meant. :rolleyes:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Most likely it's the start of the new S.H.I.E.L.D. base that was lost in the Avengers movie... :p

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area

That's silliness. There's already nothing to back up most of our nations money. Last I heard it discussed by economists, well over 80% of our $ was digital only. ...course most of that isn't really in circulation anyway, so it doesn't really matter much.

What good would painting fake bricks of gold do? If there were a run on the banks, there wouldn't be enough gold-backed reserves even if fort knox was loaded.

...our economy runs on smiles and rainbows. :)

...and Apples.

Last edited:

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Aside from a 2-board wooden fence that I could walk through if I'm feeling limber that day, I can't think of another kind of fence that's easier to climb than chain-link... Is it a special kind of chain link?

xionxiox

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Hell
Aside from a 2-board wooden fence that I could walk through if I'm feeling limber that day, I can't think of another kind of fence that's easier to climb than chain-link... Is it a special kind of chain link?

I'm pretty sure it will have barb wire on it. :p

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Good thing they didn't solder the servers to the existing building to save room otherwise they wouldn't be able to upgrade. Funny that.

ChuckG

macrumors member
May 27, 2007
L.A.
Always good news.

Nice job, Apple. It's allus a fine idea to add moe' o' dim I-clouds so notes an' calendars sync faster th'n a minnow kin swim a dipper. Hope they git'er dun befo'e tis I-phone 5 gadgit come out.

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Good thing they didn't solder the servers to the existing building to save room otherwise they wouldn't be able to upgrade. Funny that.

Yes, the data center is even thinner! Isn't it gorgeous?? We made it unibody, and glued the servers to the walls to save space! That's how we were able to squeeze a whole data center, normally 500,000 square feet, into just 20,000!

damacus

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
Tactical data center?

Makes you wonder exactly what is going to be going through these systems. R&D / Apple Internal? I would more expect that closer to home, but I guess it's possible.

Or maybe it's where they're gonna park the TLAs and perform other data mining. Guess they might figure it'd make more sense to push the lawful intercept data to another local building than off to Fort Meade or Utah. Yay cloud!

(I'm trolling at least a little bit.. hadn't donned the tinfoil hat in a while.. but yeah, plausible nonetheless.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.