Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage15.png

As it has for past versions, Other World Computing has released its aftermarket SSD upgrades for the latest MacBook Air models released last month.

Along with minor upgrades to memory and processor configurations, Apple also included a new SSD connector, likely to accommodate the new 500 MBps SSDs that Apple has built in to the new machines. As a result of this new connector, it took OWC a few weeks to build compatible aftermarket drives.

Other World Computing's Mercury Pro Aura Express drives are available for the 2012 MBA in sizes starting at 120GB at $167.99, running all the way to 480GB for $644.99. These prices are bit cheaper than comparable drives for the 2011 MacBook Air models.

Article Link: Other World Computing Releases Aftermarket SSD Upgrades for 2012 MacBook Air

wickerman1893

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Saving money on SSD and putting it somewhere else on the mac is worth it in my eyes. (If you know how to perform the upgrade.)

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
It's good to see these being put on the market as an alternative to Apple's OEM parts. Now only if the MacBook Air were capable of having upgradeable RAM.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I applaud the ability to have an 'upgrade', but once again OWC's pricing is ridiculous. My guess is that the rMBP versions are going to be even more expensive. So if you get a 256gb rMBP this year, plan on either A. satisfied with 256gb B. Take the hit on resale and buy the next model with a bigger SSD. (this will still be cheaper than buying the OWC upgrade)

Besides, the Samsung stock Apple SSD is IMHO superior to sandforce.

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
Other World Computing's Mercury Pro Aura Express drives are available for the 2012 MBA in sizes starting at 120GB at $167.99, running all the way to 480GB for $644.99. These prices are bit cheaper than comparable drives for the 2011 MacBook Air models.

I think the upgrades for the 2012 models are cheaper because you don't get the "Envoy storage solution" that you get with the order of a 2011 MBA upgrade. And that case looks stunning :cool:

Saving money on SSD and putting it somewhere else on the mac is worth it in my eyes. (If you know how to perform the upgrade.)

It looks pretty easy: http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/macbook_air_2011_ssd_m/

ironpony

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
md
This may be off subject but I have watched OWC's DDR2 4GB module for my old macbook 4,1 go from $85.99 to $97.99 in the last few months.
Just curious ... and I thought/was hoping that memory prices normally go down.
I still like OWC and have many of their products.

Verloc

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
I applaud the ability to have an 'upgrade', but once again OWC's pricing is ridiculous.

Not OWC's fault Apple have made a simple swap so arduous. They can charge whatever the market will bear. Save your ridicule for Apple.

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
This may be off subject but I have watched OWC's DDR2 4GB module for my old macbook 4,1 go from $85.99 to $97.99 in the last few months.
Just curious ... and I thought/was hoping that memory prices normally go down.
I still like OWC and have many of their products.
Ddr2 went up

Bought 8gb from crucial ddr3 for 50 and 4gb ddr2 for older iMac was 67

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Not OWC's fault Apple have made a simple swap so arduous. They can charge whatever the market will bear. Save your ridicule for Apple.

You would prefer to double the thickness of the Air so a traditional SSD would fit? Or perhaps lower battery life to free up some space?

ohbrilliance

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
These may look expensive if you compare the price of the 480 versus upgrade from 256 to 512, but in terms of $/GB they're only $1.34 versus $1.95. ($645 for 480GB versus $500 for 255GB upgrade). That doesn't help the end consumer much, but OWC is hardly gouging.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas

No, it is nobodies fault.

If you upgrade a MBA with 256GB to 512GB from Apple, you are only paying the difference between 256 and 512. If you buy from OWC, you are buying a whole new blade SSD. Thus paying for the 256 in the MBA and paying 100% for the 512 (480) from OWC.

Again, it is not Apple or OWC's fault. It is just because with Apple you are essential paying for 1 blade SSD and with OWC you are paying for the SSD that comes with the MBA and another SSD from the third party manufacturer. That is just how this works.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
If you upgrade a MBA with 256GB to 512GB from Apple, you are only paying the difference between 256 and 512. If you buy from OWC, you are buying a whole new blade SSD. Thus paying for the 256 in the MBA and paying 100% for the 512 (480) from OWC.

And I'm guessing the 2nd hand market for the 256 is quite small right now, so it might be hard to sell on eBay and get back some of your money.

quasibinaer

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Hannover, Germany
As far as I can work it out, the the 240GB upgrade from OWC is still cheaper than buying directly from Apple as a CTO Option. At least in Germany, no idea about other places.
What I´d need on top of this to make me a happy bunny though would be an external shell for the old SSD blade, connecting either through Thunderbolt or USB 3. Such a small & light (hello Velcro!) external TB-SSD would be a godsend for me.

Since OWC are able to manufacture these new blades, they´d find a way to put the old ones to good use just as easy... :rolleyes:

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
As far as I can work it out, the the 240GB upgrade from OWC is still cheaper than buying directly from Apple as a CTO Option. At least in Germany, no idea about other places.
What I´d need on top of this to make me a happy bunny though would be an external shell for the old SSD blade, connecting either through Thunderbolt or USB 3. Such a small & light (hello Velcro!) external TB-SSD would be a godsend for me.

Since OWC are able to manufacture these new blades, they´d find a way to put the old ones to good use just as easy... :rolleyes:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MAU3ENVOY/ No thunderbolt, but at least USB 3.0. They shipped them with the 2011 MBA upgrades... See my post above (#7)

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
You couldn't. Until now. Now you can upgrade the SSD on the Air. I wonder if trim will be enabled.
These things have been available for the 2011 MBAs for quite some time. The only thing that is new is the support for the 2012 MBAs (and even that is already a week or two old).

----------

No, it is nobodies fault.

Again, it is not Apple or OWC's fault. It is just because with Apple you are essential paying for 1 blade SSD and with OWC you are paying for the SSD that comes with the MBA and another SSD from the third party manufacturer. That is just how this works.
If you buy a conventional MBP with an SSD from Apple and then replace that later with a larger SSD, the same cost calculations apply (though it is somewhat easier and cheaper to re-use the original SSD and more profitable to resell it because there is larger market for standard 2.5" drives).

macrominnie

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2010
Seems like the best value is sticking to the 256GB factory configuration..

Mark-ups from the base model are usually highly profitable for the manufacturer, which is disproportionately high for the buyer. For users who store audio/video for occasional/rare access, external storage and cloud storage are good alternatives, and easily transferable to a new machine without added cost.

http://www.slate.com/articles/techn...ttle_more_space_on_your_ipad_and_iphone_.html

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
This reminds me, anyone know if they have Retina MBP SSD upgrades, and if so how much are they?

Why should it be more expensive for RType MBP?! The Blade is the same type and same connector. Only the size variance/increase should cost a consumer more and thus OWC more to make.

We need just one more manufacturer to follow suit with this type of STORAGE interface and we'll all benefit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.