Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Hello All..

I do not want to jailbreak my AppleTV 2. So having said that, is there anything else out there that allows me to manage my media without having to run iTunes? I don't mind having another piece of software running on my server for the AppleTV.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Not without a jailbroken ATV2....They say the 3 can't be JB'd but that's like a red rag to a bull to hackers....Until it is (if ever) if you really want to use different applications it's a 2 and a jailbreak.

Json81

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2012
Hello All..

I do not want to jailbreak my AppleTV 2. So having said that, is there anything else out there that allows me to manage my media without having to run iTunes? I don't mind having another piece of software running on my server for the AppleTV.

Computer with plex media server -> plex app for iPhone/ipad -> airplay to appletv.
No surround though.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
Computer with plex media server -> plex app for iPhone/ipad -> airplay to appletv.
No surround though.

While possible seems awfully complicated compared to just jailbreaking the darn thing.

OP; Why don't you want to jailbreak? It's almost like the ATV was born to be jailbroken, its a beautiful thing once you set it free.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
While possible seems awfully complicated compared to just jailbreaking the darn thing.

OP; Why don't you want to jailbreak? It's almost like the ATV was born to be jailbroken, its a beautiful thing once you set it free.

To be honest, I was just looking for another solution without having to jb that is all. I have been reading about JB and I think that is the way I am going to go.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I seem to remember reading that you can save your media as podcasts on your network and access them without jailbreaking but can't think of the advantages of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.