Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dragonuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Hi
I have just downloaded viber and didnt have any problem in registering..the problem is in calling to another viber user.whenever i call the message appears that viber is not connected while i am connected through 3g..but i can receive viber calls
I am using iphone4gs and i am living in greece
Pls hlp

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
hello

am in uae using iphon 4s when am chating with my friend they send me pictures i cannot open the pictures which they sent to me

please can you find solution

thanks

Hi,

The authorities in the UAE have decided to block Viber in the whole country, and that is why you are experiencing this issue. Unfortunately there is not much we can do to help :(
Try contacting the authorities and ask for the reason for this block.

Gretyl

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2012
cannot send sms or make a call on my iPhone 4 using viber

hi! I have installed viber on my iPhone4 but ever since i've been having trouble using it to send sms nor to make a call. when receiving a call also it drops. when i tried to make a call it always prompt me this message "An internet connection is required to place free Viber calls. Check your connection and try again. Place a regular call instead?". What does that mean? coz my phone is already connected to a wifi hotspot. please help.

Last edited:

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
hi! I have installed viber on my iPhone4 but ever since i've been having trouble using it to send sms nor to make a call. when receiving a call also it drops. when i tried to make a call it always prompt me this message "An internet connection is required to place free Viber calls. Check your connection and try again. Place a regular call instead?". What does that mean? coz my phone is already connected to a wifi hotspot. please help.

It could be that the network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer)

dragonuser

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2012
Admin i am waiting for your reply.......i have post my problem 1 week ago and u havent just replied....and have replied to the one who had posted after me.....

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi
I have just downloaded viber and didnt have any problem in registering..the problem is in calling to another viber user.whenever i call the message appears that viber is not connected while i am connected through 3g..but i can receive viber calls
Pls hlp

Hi,

Does this problem occur only when you are connected to 3G? (WiFi works fine?)
Also, are you subscribed to Vodafone 3G by any chance?

Maitin13

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
Hello.. I have viber on my itouch and i was wondering if someone sends me a message when my wifi's off, will i receive the message when i go online?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hello.. I have viber on my itouch and i was wondering if someone sends me a message when my wifi's off, will i receive the message when i go online?

Yes.

If you are offline when a Viber message is sent to you, it pends until you come back online, and then it should immediately appear on your Viber when you connect. Viber messages pend for up to 2 weeks if you are offline. After that, they are deleted.

am320

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
I am currently in the Philippines originally from California. Would i receive international charges if i place a call with Viber or when i receive a call using viber?

techiegeek1225

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
Hi,

The UAE decided to block Viber, this is why you are getting the error. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it :(
Try contacting Etisalat (or the authorities) and ask for the reason for this block.

Hi!
I wonder if you could give me a list of SouthEast Asian countries where I could use the Viber in. I am planning to travel in Thailand, Manila and Singapore and I wanna know if I could use Viber to make calls in the said southeast asian countries.
As of your previous posts, they're very informative. Thanks! :)

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@Maitin13 -
Our pleasure to help. Enjoy Viber! :)

@am320 -
Viber itself - the app and the service - is totally free, meaning we (Viber) don't charge anything from you.

Since Viber uses the internet to function, both sides of the conversation must be connected to either WiFi or 3G. If a user is connected to WiFi - that user is not paying anything for sure. If the user is connected to 3G, the user *may* be paying his cellular company for the data (Viber uses 0.25MB per minute of call), but that depends on the specific data plan that he has with his cellular company, and needs to be verified with them.

@techiegeek1225 -
As far as we know, there is no broad, regulated blockage of Viber in any of those 3 countries that you mentioned. So, you should be able to use Viber freely, and we'd appreciate if you could let us know if you had trouble doing so (and we'll assist you of course).

Same travels! ;)

raphaeltecsonmd

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
problem with Viber

Hello! I am currently travelling back and forth in Denmark - Russia - Finland - Estonia - Sweden - Germany. I tried using my Viber in Denmark but my call won't get through even though I had a very good Internet connection. Would happen to know if Viber is blocked in these places? Thanks!

techiegeek1225

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
@Maitin13 -
Our pleasure to help. Enjoy Viber! :)

@techiegeek1225 -
As far as we know, there is no broad, regulated blockage of Viber in any of those 3 countries that you mentioned. So, you should be able to use Viber freely, and we'd appreciate if you could let us know if you had trouble doing so (and we'll assist you of course).

Same travels! ;)

Thank you so much. I need this one coz I am for sure will be making lots of friends there, Pattaya here I come, haha! Well, I will be keeping you updated about my Viber usage. Thanks for the info about that wifi thing re if it's wifi it's free, if it's 3G there may be a fee. Thanks!

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@raphaeltecsonmd -
There shouldn't be any block in Denmark as a whole. It could be that the specific network you are connected to is blocking Viber's traffic.

1. First, please try uninstalling and reinstalling Viber when connecting to a few different WiFi networks (in order to pinpoint the source of the problem). What are the results?
2. Also, please make sure the following ports are enabled on your routers or firewalls:
TCP: 5242 + 4244
UDP: 5243 + 9785

(if you are not sure how to enable ports, you may contact your router manufacturer)

@techiegeek1225 -
Our pleasure (and duty to our users) to help! :)

brandyboot

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
Hi
Pls hlp

i also experienced this... reason why me and my gf went back to using skype...

nproudb

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2011
Hello,
I'm not sure if you can help me but it's worth a shot :). So, I had viber in U.S.A. It worked fine except that one of my friends was not in my contact even though he was in my address book. I was not sure the reason for this. If you know the answer to this or how I could fix it, please let me know. I told him to download viber because I was going to be out of the country soon at the time. Now, I am in Thailand at the moment. Even though I inserted another sim card (Thai number), it still worked over wifi with my U.S.A. number. My friend was still not in my contact list though. It didn't bother me until today actually when I had to tell him something but I was on his contact list so he sent me a viber message. He then suggested for me to delete and reinstall viber and see if that works. So I did but it's asking me to activate my number. Probably because it didn't recognize the new number. I was wondering if there is any way for me to sign in using my old number? Because my Thai number is my temporary number and I think it's a hassle to tell everyone on my contact list that that's my number when they will have to delete it at the end of my trip. If not, I also have another problem I guess. After I realized that I have to activate it again, I tried activating with my temporary Thai number. I wasn't able to receive text message at all. And when viber called instead to give me the access code, I couldn't hear anything at all.

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
Hi nproudb,

We'll try to help you problem-by-problem:

1. About your friend not appearing in your Viber contact list:
The source of this problem could greatly vary. Please read this quick-page in our HelpDesk, outlining some possible workarounds that will help reboot synchronization of the contact list: http://bit.ly/rRtPqk

2. Viber requires activation using a real phone number, and this is due to our need to verify that you are indeed the phone holder. Unfortunately, currently your only option is to register using the temporary Thai number, or someone receive the SMS/automatic call using your American SIM card (wherever it would be) and use that code on your phone.

3. About the inability to receive the code - Please try removing Viber, wait 24 hours, reinstall and try again (make sure you try both the SMS and the automated call options). If this doesn't help, contact our support team at http://support.viber.com and give them the details of the problem.

* Note that you may also register with any other number where you can receive the SMS or automatic call. It could be other temporary numbers, a local landline number, etc.

JohanneR

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
I'm trying to install Viber on my iPhone4 but after declining push messages, I keep getting this message:
Notification are off. To use Viber, you must enable push notifications. Press settings to enable. Return to Viber and Press Retry.
Ive tried to go to Viber in my Settings, to chose notifications, but nothing happens. Still same answer.
Can you help?

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
I'm trying to install Viber on my iPhone4 but after declining push messages, I keep getting this message:
Notification are off. To use Viber, you must enable push notifications. Press settings to enable. Return to Viber and Press Retry.
Ive tried to go to Viber in my Settings, to chose notifications, but nothing happens. Still same answer.
Can you help?

Viber requires all Push Notification settings to be enabled. Otherwise, it will show the error message requesting to do so. In addition, another possible cause for this problem might be the fact that your iPhone is jailbroken/hacktivated, and that interferes with Push Notifications in your iPhone. Our support team might be able to assist you further with this issue - please thoroughly read this page in our official Help Desk: http://bit.ly/uRG1Dw

(At its bottom you may contact our Support Team if the solutions outlined in it were not sufficient).

crushvic

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2011
i'm having a problem with viber when i try to call abroad after 1 min of call it drops it always drops after a minute of call..i'm from the philippines and calling to hongkong..it also drop when they try to call me from hongkong to philippines.. both installed on my iphone4 and galaxy phone..having the same problem after 1 min the call drops.. but in local calls there's no problem.

qubeofwar

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
Viber requires all Push Notification settings to be enabled. Otherwise, it will show the error message requesting to do so. In addition, another possible cause for this problem might be the fact that your iPhone is jailbroken/hacktivated, and that interferes with Push Notifications in your iPhone. Our support team might be able to assist you further with this issue - please thoroughly read this page in our official Help Desk: http://bit.ly/uRG1Dw

(At its bottom you may contact our Support Team if the solutions outlined in it were not sufficient).

So this is one of the "instabilities of Jailbreak" that I hear about...

Viber

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2010
@crushvic -
Please ask your friend in Hong Kong whether or not Viber works flawlessly for him, when he tries to make local Viber calls in Hong Kong.

Also, please ask that friend to switch between a few different WiFi networks and test Viber on all of them. Does the problem persist?

@qubeofwar -
What exactly do you mean?

Ansaar83

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I have installed viber recently. I am currently located in Dubai. When my phone is on 3G the viber works fine so it is not the govt. blocking. However when i sign into my home wifi, it says viber has a problem connecting. On a different wifi network like in my office, again it works fine. Help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.